Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Late one night , my two sons and I were working in our shop with both garage doors open. Suddenly, there were two police officers standing outside the door, asking what we were doing in there that late. They did not enter, they stood outside, and I had no problem telling them that this is our hobby shop and we come in the evenings to build our cars.(It looked like a chop shop, half built cars all over the place)

They stayed outside and ASKED permission to come inside, which I granted, then they asked for ID, which we also provided, but they did not just take it upon themselves to walk onto OUR property without me saying it was ok to do so.

That is what the cops in that video should have done.
Did someone call in a disturbance? Was there yelling and screaming and babies crying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you really care about her community and how people in it are viewed?
How about this. How are asian americans viewed by most people would you say?

Dave Ramsey once said this. If you are a fat person and you want to get thin, ask a thin person what they do and try it out. Same with affluent people. If you have financial problems and want to become affluent, learn what affluent people do (personal habits, self conduct, etc.) and try them out.

There is no question that asian americans as a group have become quite successful in this country. Chances are, you're not going to find an asian American mouthing off a cop like that. Will you be able to find exceptions? Sure, why not. But most of us know better than to mouth off a cop. It's a good way to get shot.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What has arrest or search got to do with it?
Neighbors called the police to investigate a disturbance. They did. Found no reason after they entered to search or arrest.
Therein lies the problem, they entered without asking or a warrant.

Tonight, you are in your own home and having an argument with your spouse, as we all have done. Some neighbor calls the cops, they show up, and, instead of knocking, they push the door open and come in. How would YOU feel ?

All they had to do was knock, talk to the lady and explain the situation, and, once satisfied, leave. None of this would have happened. They overstepped their boundaries.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This situation did not meet these requirements:

https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publicatio...-enter-my-home
"to protect the life or safety of someone inside if they have a reasonable belief that a life-threatening emergency exists"

Call comes in on a domestic disturbance. At the residence the door is open and loud yelling and cries are heard inside.
Sounds reasonable to me that someone may be in danger.

So how would you feel if the cops had stood outside and the husband was abusing the woman and child and they ended up injured or dead before someone answered the door and gave them permission to enter?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It sounded like they were trying to say something to her to explain why they entered without knocking. There are circumstances when cops are allowed to do that. But she was such a loudmouth that she wouldn't let them be heard. She should have just been polite and taken the officer's badge number and filed a complaint.
Those circumstances would be if they believed a crime had been committed, if they believe a wanted suspect to be on the property or if the needed to enter a property for the protection of life and limb such as a medical emergency.

There was no reason for them to enter the property on this occasion,, they should have knocked on the door even if it was open and should only entered the property if invited to do so, as they had no legal right to just enter the property and stand there whilst the house owner became ever more irrate.

They could have de-esculated the situation by simply apologising and leaving the property rather than standing there and allowing the situation and the woman's anger to esculate.

Most people have verbal arguments with their partners from time to time, however that does not give the police an automatic right to come on your property or enter your home.

I am not sure if the law differs in the US, but in the UK the police can only gain entry in relation to indictable offences (the equivalent of felony in the US) and have no powers of entry in relation to summary offences (misdemeanor), and they should otherwise leave when told by the owner of the property, the video below explains the police's powers in the UK which should be briadly similar to the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-11-2019 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
How about this. How are asian americans viewed by most people would you say?

Dave Ramsey once said this. If you are a fat person and you want to get thin, ask a thin person what they do and try it out. Same with affluent people. If you have financial problems and want to become affluent, learn what affluent people do (personal habits, self conduct, etc.) and try them out.

There is no question that asian americans as a group have become quite successful in this country. Chances are, you're not going to find an asian American mouthing off a cop like that. Will you be able to find exceptions? Sure, why not. But most of us know better than to mouth off a cop. It's a good way to get shot.
That was a long way of saying you don't really care about their community.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times
So cops are wandering around randomly going into people’s houses?

(I didn’t think so. )

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Therein lies the problem, they entered without asking or a warrant.

Tonight, you are in your own home and having an argument with your spouse, as we all have done. Some neighbor calls the cops, they show up, and, instead of knocking, they push the door open and come in. How would YOU feel ?

All they had to do was knock, talk to the lady and explain the situation, and, once satisfied, leave. None of this would have happened. They overstepped their boundaries.
The door was opened. The door was opened.
I told you how I would feel in a previous post.
You know how I would feel if my husband had bashed my head in before I could open the door and let them in? I guess I might not feel anything because I'd be dead. My kids might have a lot of emotions going on though.
If the cops came in without knocking and stopped him before he bashed my head in I'd feel gratitude.
So overall reacting to a domestic disturbance and not knocking before entering an open door wouldn't bother me. All I'd need to do was tell them everything was ok.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
"to protect the life or safety of someone inside if they have a reasonable belief that a life-threatening emergency exists"

Call comes in on a domestic disturbance. At the residence the door is open and loud yelling and cries are heard inside.
Sounds reasonable to me that someone may be in danger.
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
So how would you feel if the cops had stood outside and the husband was abusing the woman and child and they ended up injured or dead before someone answered the door and gave them permission to enter?
Totally different set of sounds.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
But most of us know better than to mouth off a cop. It's a good way to get shot.
That is a severe problem in a democratic society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies