Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

What a silly question and debate. This is like asking how we actually breathe air.

I saw all of this first hand....since wifey was elected to office......

Basics.

1. No, politicians are not voted in by US. They are put forward by corporate interests and their parties (same thing, really)...and then we have a choice. In our case, Lockheed Martin ran our county and a lot of the state, so they would employ losers (most not qualified in any way) and then let those losers not show up for work quite often - making them the perfect candidates. The local party (GOP, in this case) would elevate these people to candidates.

2. At every level of government, Pay to Play is the word. I sat in on a meeting where I heard a political candidate say "once we get in we can reward anyone who contributes to us with contracts...even the toilet paper contract!".....even a small town gives out millions too engineering firms, law firms, suppliers, contractors and many others.

3. The County governments (some states don't have them, but NJ did) were massive and a complete sewer of patronage - now we are up to the 100's of Millions of dollars. It would take a book to describe that one, but it is all pay to play or - in the case of Judge appointments, the person in question had to do some special favors....ala Acosta...to move up to a lifetime appointment.

4. At the state level, just one example (there are hundreds) is that lowly state representative have dinners many time a month. Fund raisers. When a lobbyist goes to Joe Rep and says "Joe, what about Law #32 that I am pushing?", Joe Rep - who has never and will never read the Law, says "How many seats are you buying at my fund raiser?

Typical for that lowly level is that it is $10,000 for a table.

That's just a slight taste. It's a giant circle - our tax money, collected in excess for Lockheed Martin, then goes for their top to bottom controlling of candidates and even the smallest of city and town governments...all the way up to the Federal Government. If they, or the county or whatever other entity, doesn't have a job to "buy" you with, they will make one up.

In our mid-sized county, for example, they'd regularly assign former housewives (of the right party, of course) to the "Bridge Commission" at 175K per year....next thing Housewife would be State Rep and voting to give Utilities NINE BILLION dollars for the mistakes they made building the wrong plants at the wrong times.

Of course, that quick description does not include the sex, drinking, drugs and the rest.

What a joke. Anyone who thing "We vote them in" is either naive or stupid. You can find the exception somewhere, but they never get anywhere because the System will quickly make mincemeat of anyone who exposes the game.

Therefore, the basics are....if a Pol exists, they are corrupted.

I should say - this PERFECTLY EXPRESSES THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE, who obviously approve. It's no different than people approving of pussie grabbing or fraud and bankruptcies and special deals with Russians and Fixers and all that stuff. A large percentage of Americans are crooks at heart and therefore approve of same. We get the government we deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
in some states almost the exact language is used in proposed laws....the corp[oration write the laws

i sometimes wish i had the blinders on that some of our members do because the more you investigate things the more of a sour taste humanity leaves
And that's it. Who do you hate? The corporations buying politicians or the politicians for selling us out to big business?

Me I hate the politician. They are the ones we elected to represent we the people.

In an early debate a GOP candidate, I think it was Jeb Bush, made a comment about Trump buying politicians and influence. AS if that made Trump the evil gangster. (which it does)

Trump didn't hesitate. He said yeah I did, I bought influence from politicians from both parties. Bammmmmm
He didn't lie (a first).

So who is worse? Evil business man or slimy sell out politician?

I can't hate business for trying to manipulate the system for profit. It's what they do to compete.

I can hate a sell out politician all day everyday for prostituting themselves for personal gain at our expense. Every career politician does it. There is no such thing as an honest politician. Thats why I am disgusted by party hardliners. They are the sheep who enable.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
And that's it. Who do you hate? The corporations buying politicians or the politicians for selling us out to big business?

I can't hate business for trying to manipulate the system for profit. It's what they do to compete.

I can hate a sell out politician all day everyday for prostituting themselves for personal gain at our expense. Every career politician does it. There is no such thing as an honest politician.
Ah, so how many business people that deal in large amounts of cash have not stolen some of it? I think if we tested those waters we'd find an amazing percentage of "business people" who would break the law and shortchange their country for a little gain.

No, a pol is not any different. They reflect the Will of the People...in this case, crooked business.

It's hard for Americans to even imagine this, but my CEO contacts in Denmark...say to me honestly "I don't mind paying 55% in taxes because I look around and see the good it does"......

Maybe it's me but I haven't heard it much here. I do know some honest contractors and business people...honest in that they will give the customer what they paid for, but I don't think I've ever met one who won't do stuff under the table or pocket cash.

Therefore they are crooks. Plain and simple.

Note - whether Pols or Business people they have the exact same attitude as many Trump fans have - that is, the Ends are worth the Means. The crooked Pol thinks that the few things he votes for or pushes that might be "good" are worth all the bad things. The Business person who fills his safe with cash thinks it is HIS money. Meanwhile our deficit balloons.

Pols and business people and others run the Bell Curve in ethics. There are some very ethical people but they pale in comparison with the number of "Ends is worth the means" and even the "I don't care about the ends. give ME the MEANS" are a larger population than the ethical.

That is our problem. I claim that the American people are immoral. Unethical. So they accept it because the Ends, in their opinion, is worth it.

Then we complain that the place is falling apart. It doesn't make sense.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nowadays it's easier than ever, thanks to Citizens United.

Big money approves.

One of the worst court cases that essentially encouraged the mixing of corporate and political corruptions.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
One of the worst court cases that essentially encouraged the mixing of corporate and political corruptions.
Money doesn’t buy votes.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, so how many business people that deal in large amounts of cash have not stolen some of it? I think if we tested those waters we'd find an amazing percentage of "business people" who would break the law and shortchange their country for a little gain.

No, a pol is not any different. They reflect the Will of the People...in this case, crooked business.

It's hard for Americans to even imagine this, but my CEO contacts in Denmark...say to me honestly "I don't mind paying 55% in taxes because I look around and see the good it does"......

Maybe it's me but I haven't heard it much here. I do know some honest contractors and business people...honest in that they will give the customer what they paid for, but I don't think I've ever met one who won't do stuff under the table or pocket cash.

Therefore they are crooks. Plain and simple.

Note - whether Pols or Business people they have the exact same attitude as many Trump fans have - that is, the Ends are worth the Means. The crooked Pol thinks that the few things he votes for or pushes that might be "good" are worth all the bad things. The Business person who fills his safe with cash thinks it is HIS money. Meanwhile our deficit balloons.

Pols and business people and others run the Bell Curve in ethics. There are some very ethical people but they pale in comparison with the number of "Ends is worth the means" and even the "I don't care about the ends. give ME the MEANS" are a larger population than the ethical.

That is our problem. I claim that the American people are immoral. Unethical. So they accept it because the Ends, in their opinion, is worth it.

Then we complain that the place is falling apart. It doesn't make sense.
To me it comes down to who took the oath? Whomever took the oath is the traitor for violating it.

Do I hate a business for using tax loopholes created by politicians? NO. I expect them to use those loopholes we all would use the same loopholes if we could. I do hate the politicians for selling us out. Business will use what ever a politician offers up if it means more profit.

The hardliners from both parties are the enablers. Those sheep that bleat party line and excuses. The sheep who point the righteous finger at one side while ignoring the same exact sins among their own.

I won't comment on Europes politics, other than to say that there are plenty of Europeans who are very unhappy with Europe right now.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

Me I hate the politician. They are the ones we elected to represent we the people.

In an early debate a GOP candidate, I think it was Jeb Bush, made a comment about Trump buying politicians and influence. AS if that made Trump the evil gangster. (which it does)

Trump didn't hesitate. He said yeah I did, I bought influence from politicians from both parties. Bammmmmm
He didn't lie (a first).

So who is worse? Evil business man or slimy sell out politician?

I can hate a sell out politician all day everyday for prostituting themselves for personal gain at our expense. Every career politician does it. There is no such thing as an honest politician. Thats why I am disgusted by party hardliners. They are the sheep who enable.
i don't hate anybody..in our system people react emotionally and vote that way and vote against their economic interests all the time...we are bombarded with fancy advertising with slippery worded dialog
if a politician so desired he could probably get a billion dollar freezer purchase government funded for Eskimos for a promised vote on something else

Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
voters only have issues with legislators from the opposing party.

voters choose elected officials based on issues near and dear to their hearts or as is common, hire them because 'they are like me'.

Lobbyists cannot pass laws only legislators can do that.

why blame the temptress when it is the weak willed, unethical and immoral candidate you elected!!!

Have a problem with legislators, look one level up to who hired them to find the source of the problem. Voters only require a mirror to find the source of the problem.

EDU is big business. The only big business exempt from criticism and in a close relationship with democrats.

EDU, portal of social justice and liberalism, produces dem recruits through indoctrination. Dems do nothing to address the cost of edu, they instead, requisition more taxpayer money to send to edu as payment for their services.

Many more examples and involves both parties as a revered tradition..

Dem charlie rangel, head of ways and means, who oversaw the tax code, allowed big business created loopholes to become part of the tax code.

Who was the recipient of the 500 mill Obama wasted on just one solar company? that one is the hallmark of money laundering.

Profit is the main reason most politicians get involved in elected office, Some get greedy, some stay within the law they make. did they not get insider trading info and it was legal. nice work if you can get it.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Still missing the point.

WE ELECT AND FIRE POLITICIANS!!!

And yet you still can't name one that has been fired.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And yet you still can't name one that has been fired.
They don’t get fired because we the voters don’t hold our politicians accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies