Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m glad you think so highly of my people.

They would lay people off in a NY minute if it meant profit or loss.
Who are your people?

Stop it. Hell, I’m black and know German customs and culture well and speak the language with excellent fluency. Your German culture extends about as far as putting Sauerkraut on a Bratwurst.

Gimme a break. Lol

And no, in Germany, people are more important than profits. They’d lay off people only in extreme circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who are your people?

Stop it. Hell, I’m black and know German customs and culture well and speak the language with excellent fluency. Your German culture extends about as far as putting Sauerkraut on a Bratwurst.

Gimme a break. Lol

And no, in Germany, people are more important than profits. They’d lay off people only in extreme circumstances.
Disagree a bit with the last part.

My wife's mother saw the business end of T34 tanks in Konigsberg in 1944. They still have family there. They did well after the war and come to the US every couple years. My wife has one cousin from Germany I have talked to for hours about Germany. He is utterly amazing and fascinating.

They do lay people off and in less than extreme circumstances. Workers often have representation on the board and at high levels in the company. Management is expected to participate in any cuts and ridiculous bonuses would be verboten when things are tight and people are being laid off. IE it is a near last resort there, unlike here, where it is the first resort and for that matter, we have hedge funds and private equity funds who specialize in laying people off and immediately passing the savings to stakeholders.

Layoffs are also looked at in a longer term view rather than in the US where the forward look is one quarter (3 mos)

Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who are your people?

Gimme a break. Lol

Looks like you can use one of these.

https://images.app.goo.gl/T75ZAMfir634aZPv6

Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Talk about some Deutsche bags!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies