Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree. I've stated as much more than once.
I think about when I used to work in a really rough part of Atlanta. Prostitutes, homeless men strung out or drunk. All of the gas stations had bars on the doors. It was basically like Skid Row. I commuted through an even worse area, which incidentally has MLK Drive going through it. You could tell it was a ghetto. About 2 or 3 miles away is Cascade Heights. Mansions, nice houses, some decent places to eat. Predominantly Black neighborhood. It has some gated communities and golf courses. A far cry from the ghetto where my office was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,429,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How much of a problem is it in middle class/middle upper class predominantly Black areas?
In the smaller towns, they’re aren’t really any predominantly black middle class areas, most middle class areas are mixed. The majority black areas are typically poor with a few middle class folks scattered here and there.

I own rental properties and I rent to black tenants. Most of my rentals have white neighbors that have lived there for years, and a common thing I hear is “it’s not them I worry about, it’s their friends and family”. There is some truth to that I believe, because I notice a lot of black people find it harder to separate themselves from toxic family members. The black family next door may be perfectly fine neighbors themselves, but as soon as they allow the son’s hoodrat friends to start coming over things start going downhill. Or maybe it’s the black grandmother who feels sorry for her grandson, so she lets him move in, and then here comes his thug friends.

I just know a lot of white people have no problems calling their own ‘white trash’ and keeping their distance, but in the South many black people believe you’re supposed to defend family no matter how bad they are.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
In the smaller towns, they’re aren’t really any predominantly black middle class areas, most middle class areas are mixed. The majority black areas are typically poor with a few middle class folks scattered here and there.

I own rental properties and I rent to black tenants. Most of my rentals have white neighbors that have lived there for years, and a common thing I hear is “it’s not them I worry about, it’s their friends and family”. There is some truth to that I believe, because I notice a lot of black people find it harder to separate themselves from toxic family members. The black family next door may be perfectly fine neighbors themselves, but as soon as they allow the son’s hoodrat friends to start coming over things start going downhill. Or maybe it’s the black grandmother who feels sorry for her grandson, so she lets him move in, and then here comes his thug friends.

I just know a lot of white people have no problems calling their own ‘white trash’ and keeping their distance, but in the South many black people believe you’re supposed to defend family no matter how bad they are.
I agree with this, and touched base on that earlier in this thread. Blacks tend to be more forgiving of lawbreaking & troublemaking family members than other races. The examples you gave above are pretty accurate descriptives of this phenomenon. Other races are more quick to ostracize these family members from their lives.

When you continue to ignore that kind of behavior from family, you create a culture of acceptance. Once one is comfortable in that culture, there’s no shame or consequence in being a loser. It becomes acceptable. Once that happens, standards fall so low that anything goes and before you know it, your family is part of the rotting social decay of your community.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I don't know how true this is. I've only known a few Black people who let their hood rat relative live with them. I have neighbors that took their hood rat relative back after he did time in prison. On the flip side, I have Black neighbors who kicked their son out of the house for delving into the druggie life. In fact, where I live, I've seen both Black and White people act in such a forgiving way towards wayward family members. I wouldn't think of this as particular to Black. Now, the threshold varies. I know one White kid who dropped out of school, and got into crime. He got busted for drugs. He still lives with his parents.

As for majority Black, middle class areas, this is my point. I never fear for my safety going to Cascade Heights. Predominantly Black area with mansions, golf courses, gated communities. Contrast with Adamsville, a ghetto. Now, with small, southern towns, well, alot of Black people who had the talent and the education started leaving for bigger places. I lived in a small town in South Carolina. I didn't like it.

Back to the family issues. Maybe it's because of where I live. However, I have seen my fair share of Whites who have been quite forgiving, or at the least, willing to overlook certain miscreant behavior. Now, the line would be drawn at things like rape or murder. It was mainly working class Whites I would see doing this. I grew up in a predominantly White area and saw kids who literally got away with everything. My father confront the father of a kid who was bullying me. That kid's father basically told my father to get out of his face. I'm not saying that there aren't Black parents who are too forgiving with certain things. I've seen some of it. I've also seen some Black parents kick their kids out for stupidity.

And I will talk about the neighbor who took their hood rat relative back after his lengthy stay in prison (for a violent crime). I didn't like that he was back. Neither did my father. But here was the irony of it. When that dude came home, it wasn't Black hood rat types coming to the house. It was the "poor white trash" coming to the house. It was this guy's tweaker friends coming in.

Being too forgiving on criminals does not help matters at all. There is something else to consider. Like-minded persons will find each other. A kid I went to middle school and high school with, a Black guy, gravitated to the trashy, slacker/druggy segment of the White population. He was a slacker/hood rat type and he gravitated towards such persons. And the "poor white trash" types gravitated towards him to a certain extent. Years later, he has been dealing with drug issues.

I also think about this. Whenever I go into the city of Atlanta, I see alot of homeless people and drunks/druggies. Pretty much all of them are Black men. I have to wonder how many of them were turned away by their families.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,570,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Such a case would be national news and the media would do their best to connect it to Trump.
Don't forget "systemic racism" that is all around us and can't be helped.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 PM

271 posts, read 139,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Heh......Serves them well. Many are not aware..... Memphis is prolly the biggest **** hole in the US. If people knew how boring, crime-ridden and dirty it is, I betcha most wouldn't live there if they were given a free house.

Even if I was offered 5k just drive through it -- I'd take a pass.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post
Heh......Serves them well. Many are not aware..... Memphis is prolly the biggest **** hole in the US. If people knew how boring, crime-ridden and dirty it is, I betcha most wouldn't live there if they were given a free house.

What happened to that couple, I wouldn't wish on anyone. I will say this though. Memphis has always been a violent city. It was a violent city back in the early 20th century when it had higher murder rates than it does now. And that's saying something considering Memphis is a very violent city today. In 1916 Memphis had 128 murders, in spite of only having a population around 185,000 people. Memphis has been this way for at least a century or more.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post

2nd reply.

That incident over the 4th of July is one part of a bigger problem in Memphis. Memphis has alot of violent crime, especially murders. The state of Tennessee, over all, leads the nation in assaults. Memphis, as of July 4th, has 88 murders (likely over 90 today). Memphis is on pace to hit 180.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I agree with this, and touched base on that earlier in this thread. Blacks tend to be more forgiving of lawbreaking & troublemaking family members than other races. The examples you gave above are pretty accurate descriptives of this phenomenon. Other races are more quick to ostracize these family members from their lives.

When you continue to ignore that kind of behavior from family, you create a culture of acceptance. Once one is comfortable in that culture, there’s no shame or consequence in being a loser. It becomes acceptable. Once that happens, standards fall so low that anything goes and before you know it, your family is part of the rotting social decay of your community.
I don't know about all of this. I've seen White people in my neck of the woods forgive their troublemakers. I know a few that I went to high school with. Unless it was stuff that was done to the family or if it involved stuff like murder and rape, I've seen some Whites forgive troublemakers in their family. I don't think this is particular to Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies