Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's not "important". It's outrageous.

It's outrageous that you are hoping to win elections by facilitating an invasion of your own country.
The votes of native born Americans is not an invasion. If you consider it “an invasion” unfortunately for you, it’s about 30 years too late to stop.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-12-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What you ignore in your glee over people dying is with aging comes a greater likelihood of voting conservative. Liberals were making the same argument you are making when I was in grade school fifty years ago.

The USA population is aging, not good for liberals.
Voting patterns of generations are formed in early adulthood. Studies have shown that political identity formed by political events occurring from ages 14-24 are 3 times more likely to stick for life than those events later in life. It’s a wive’s tale that you grow more conservative as you age. The majority of people don’t change all that much.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Voting patterns of generations are formed in early adulthood. Studies have shown that political identity formed by political events occurring from ages 14-24 are 3 times more likely to stick for life than those events later in life. It’s a wive’s tale that you grow more conservative as you age. The majority of people don’t change all that much.
Why do 18 to 29 year olds consistently vote Democrat more often than those over 60? Been like this since at least 1960.

Yes, part of the reason is the definition of conservative gets more liberal.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why do 18 to 29 year olds consistently vote Democrat more often than those over 60? Been like this since at least 1960.

Yes, part of the reason is the definition of conservative gets more liberal.
Individuals can and do change their politics as they age, but it’s a fallacy to say that it automatically occurs with age. The Greatest Generation was more liberal. The Silents were more conservative. The Early Boomers that came of age during JFK and the Civil Rights Act tended to be liberal while the younger Boomers who came of age under Reagan were more conservatives. The Gen Xers were the opposite of the Boomers. The older ones that came of age under Reagan tended Conservative while the younger ones who came of age in the ‘90’s were more Liberal. The Millennials are a little unique because from beginning to end they were solidly Liberal. While Gen Z was predicted to be the most conservative generation within memory by Conservatives, the oldest of the generation who have reached voting age have thus far voted like Millennials.

Generations have distinctive political preferences. While individuals may change their political stripes, generations as a whole don’t shift radically.

https://www.people-press.org/2015/09...ions-research/

Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
The votes of native born Americans is not an invasion. If you consider it “an invasion” unfortunately for you, it’s about 30 years too late to stop.
The children of immigrants who were brought (or allowed to stay) here to change the country's demographics and politics are a result of the invasion every bit as much as their parents. It is an invasion, and you just admitted it.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
There is a demographic change happening in Texas right now that will turn the state blue, and it will happen within the next decade. Lots of young, educated people moving to places like Austin and Houston and Dallas, a growing tech industry, along with the rising Hispanic vote, will make it happen sooner rather than later. I don't think the GOP can count on Texas being a slam dunk any more going forward.

Out of 254 Texas counties, 102 are losing population and their votes meaning rural areas. Many there are older and dying off. So that won't help in keeping Texas red.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There was a time in my lifetime where Texas was a true swing state. They (we now) tended to vote for the best candidate for Texas and the Nation (in that order) regardless of party affiliation. As the boomers have gotten older and more scared, it moved pretty far right, and it's now coming back to its more natural place, somewhere in the middle, where you actually have to bring something to the table to win, not just have the right R or D after your name.
As the DNC moves further and further to the radical left, the more red Texas remains.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:55 AM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:

I was much more Republican and much more conservative when I was younger.
Actually, I don't even think I have changed all that much (I have a little though)In reality I am more of a moderate nowadays. I have developed a stronger compassion and empathy with time and experience....and a healthy dose of
skepticism of big business, big pharma, etc.

I think in the end I feel that the party left me (I was Republican) rather than me that left the party.
Republicans use to respect Science and education....understood and respected Social Justice to some extend to all people regardless of gender, race or religion. It seems like much of that has died recently.
It's like they lost their heart and their soul, and somehow ended up brain damaged intellectually to boot.
I wish it wasn't so.
But, I will not deny it is, what it is.
Maybe someday, some how they get back to what they were.

Feels like the crazies have taken over the party. The Republican party.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was much more Republican and much more conservative when I was younger.
Actually, I don't even think I have changed all that much (I have a little though)In reality I am more of a moderate nowadays. I have developed a stronger compassion and empathy with time and experience....and a healthy dose of
skepticism of big business, big pharma, etc.

I think in the end I feel that the party left me (I was Republican) rather than me that left the party.
Republicans use to respect Science and education....understood and respected Social Justice to some extend to all people regardless of gender, race or religion. It seems like much of that has died recently.
It's like they lost their heart and their soul, and somehow ended up brain damaged intellectually to boot.
I wish it wasn't so.
But, I will not deny it is, what it is.
Maybe someday, some how they get back to what they were.

Feels like the crazies have taken over the party. The Republican party.
Both parties have moved to the left, but the crazies have taken over the DNC.

My guess is you have one or two issues that dictate your voting and political leanings.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Of course, this political watcher doesn't think so (I say Trump by 3 points), but the fact that they are running scared is important. Normally they wouldn't have to spend a penny or worry about such things.

"The Texas GOP sent out an email to voters Wednesday calling the Lone Star state the "most important swing state in the 2020 presidential election."

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...-biden-1448839

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ocratic-party/

Texas is not a swing state - and, again, I doubt Trump will lose but the fact that:

1. Things are getting closer - in "red" central - that is, Tx is the largest state that is consistently Red Red Red.

2. The Texas GOP has been losing House Seats and other similar offices.

Note - this is not just due to Texas corporations love of cheap and illegal labor. It has to do with young and urban people. All those "jobs" that Texas kept inviting in from California and other places....bring people to Austin and San Anton. and other place in bulk - young people who "think differently" then the more recent Texans (I doubt the new people, for example, attend Baptist churches regularly)

It's important to note that Texas has some good modern history in the form of the Jim Hightower, Ann Richards, Molly Ivins type of personality, so it's not like it's been deep red forever. There was a time when Texans were known for common sense....this was before the Oil Barons and others bought the place (politically).

The REAL question isn't Texas...it's that if Texas is within 5 points, what will the deal be in REAL swing states. Trump has to win pretty much every one and also win some leaning blue states in addition.
If Hillary (Sore Loser) Clinton could find a way to lose Michigan and Pennsylvania, Trump could find a way to lose Texas, given what is going on these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies