Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If Hillary (Sore Loser) Clinton could find a way to lose Michigan and Pennsylvania, Trump could find a way to lose Texas, given what is going on these days.
There is zero chance Trump loses Texas in 2020.

He COULD lose the election, but he WILL carry Texas.

Additionally, with the removal of straight ticket voting, Texas will be more red following 2020.

Texas will eventually become a swing state due to Hispanics voting D as a cultural tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If Hillary (Sore Loser) Clinton could find a way to lose Michigan and Pennsylvania, Trump could find a way to lose Texas, given what is going on these days.
Would you like to place a wager on Trump taking Texas in the form of a our status tag line?

If Trump carrirs Texas, I pick what you have in your status line for a year, and if Trump loses you pick mine.

Let's see how confident you are.

Deal?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The children of immigrants who were brought (or allowed to stay) here to change the country's demographics and politics are a result of the invasion every bit as much as their parents. It is an invasion, and you just admitted it.
I don’t consider it an invasion, but if you’re so hung up on racial politics that you do, I suggest you learn to cope with it, because at this point, there’s not a damned thing you can do about it. The country’s changed. Live with it.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was much more Republican and much more conservative when I was younger.
Actually, I don't even think I have changed all that much (I have a little though)In reality I am more of a moderate nowadays. I have developed a stronger compassion and empathy with time and experience....and a healthy dose of
skepticism of big business, big pharma, etc.

I think in the end I feel that the party left me (I was Republican) rather than me that left the party.
Republicans use to respect Science and education....understood and respected Social Justice to some extend to all people regardless of gender, race or religion. It seems like much of that has died recently.
It's like they lost their heart and their soul, and somehow ended up brain damaged intellectually to boot.
I wish it wasn't so.
But, I will not deny it is, what it is.
Maybe someday, some how they get back to what they were.

Feels like the crazies have taken over the party. The Republican party.
You’re not alone. You would probably like the writings of Chris Ladd. Chris considered himself a Hamiltonian Republican, and for years was a local official in the Republican Party in Illinois. He formerly had a blog called GOPLifer, but he formerly left the Party when it nominated Trump. He said that just by nominating him, the party had irrevocably changed.

His old blog can be found here.

https://goplifer.com/

His new blog is called political orphans:

https://www.politicalorphans.com/

Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
You’re not alone. You would probably like the writings of Chris Ladd. Chris considered himself a Hamiltonian Republican, and for years was a local official in the Republican Party in Illinois. He formerly had a blog called GOPLifer, but he formerly left the Party when it nominated Trump. He said that just by nominating him, the party had irrevocably changed.
Funny that you miss the point that the respondent you are replying to, pretty much makes mincemeat of your constant position that demographics determine vote. (except for maybe a large, but shrinking, portion of the African American community)

Old 07-13-2019, 06:47 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The Texas GOP is addressing such concerns. One bill signed by Governor Abbott makes it 'easier' for a political party to be on statewide ballots. Previously, a political party had to draw 2 percent of the vote in the Governor's race, or 5 percent for any state wide race, to be on the ballot.

The new bill lowers the threshold to be on a statewide ballot to 2 percent of votes cast, in any of the five previous elections (a ten year window).

So, whereas previously the Green Party had difficulty being on statewide ballots, this bill makes it much easier for the party to be on the 2020 ballots. The GOP believes that this will siphon votes away from Democrats.

Oh, and the bill also makes it more difficult for Libertarians to be on the ballot, due to a provision concerning filing fees.
This should be fun and games again for the Republican party. They want the Green Party on the ballot but not Libertarians. Wonder why?

The Republicans have paid for the Texas Green Party petition drive to get on the ballot. The state Democratic party sued and won.

The number of signatures in the past has almost been impossible to get. IIRC, when the petition drive started they had to be obtained in a specific timeframe.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Funny that you miss the point that the respondent you are replying to, pretty much makes mincemeat of your constant position that demographics determine vote. (except for maybe a large, but shrinking, portion of the African American community)
I would surmise that you’re an example of what drove her from the GOP in the first place.

It’s not that demographics determine vote. It’s the reaction to demographic change by the parties that ultimately determines vote.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-13-2019 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
No way in hell will Trump not carry Texas.

Liberals, democrats, progressives, whatever you want to call them, do not vote. It has been that way for years.

When DH kept a records of the people our team registered to vote in Harris county, only 1/2 of them actually did vote.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:56 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
No way in hell will Trump not carry Texas.

Liberals, democrats, progressives, whatever you want to call them, do not vote. It has been that way for years.

When DH kept a records of the people our team registered to vote in Harris county, only 1/2 of them actually did vote.
They might not vote if they think their vote won’t make a difference. I think as a state becomes more competitive you see more people vote because now their vote can make a difference.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This should be fun and games again for the Republican party. They want the Green Party on the ballot but not Libertarians. Wonder why?

The Republicans have paid for the Texas Green Party petition drive to get on the ballot. The state Democratic party sued and won.

The number of signatures in the past has almost been impossible to get. IIRC, when the petition drive started they had to be obtained in a specific timeframe.
You have my OP point correct. I never said that Trump would lose...just the opposite!

What I said was Texas GOP was running scared and desperate. And they are.

No doubt they can milk their power for more years. But the charts have to be troubling. As far as immigrants, whether from Silicon Valley or Mexico, they both invited them...and take the fruits of those labors.

So they are not even allowed to complain about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies