Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Of course, this political watcher doesn't think so (I say Trump by 3 points), but the fact that they are running scared is important. Normally they wouldn't have to spend a penny or worry about such things.

"The Texas GOP sent out an email to voters Wednesday calling the Lone Star state the "most important swing state in the 2020 presidential election."

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...-biden-1448839

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ocratic-party/

Texas is not a swing state - and, again, I doubt Trump will lose but the fact that:

1. Things are getting closer - in "red" central - that is, Tx is the largest state that is consistently Red Red Red.

2. The Texas GOP has been losing House Seats and other similar offices.

Note - this is not just due to Texas corporations love of cheap and illegal labor. It has to do with young and urban people. All those "jobs" that Texas kept inviting in from California and other places....bring people to Austin and San Anton. and other place in bulk - young people who "think differently" then the more recent Texans (I doubt the new people, for example, attend Baptist churches regularly)

It's important to note that Texas has some good modern history in the form of the Jim Hightower, Ann Richards, Molly Ivins type of personality, so it's not like it's been deep red forever. There was a time when Texans were known for common sense....this was before the Oil Barons and others bought the place (politically).

The REAL question isn't Texas...it's that if Texas is within 5 points, what will the deal be in REAL swing states. Trump has to win pretty much every one and also win some leaning blue states in addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Of course, this political watcher doesn't think so (I say Trump by 3 points), but the fact that they are running scared is important. Normally they wouldn't have to spend a penny or worry about such things.

"The Texas GOP sent out an email to voters Wednesday calling the Lone Star state the "most important swing state in the 2020 presidential election."

Texas is not a swing state - and, again, I doubt Trump will lose but the fact that:

1. Things are getting closer - in "red" central - that is, Tx is the largest state that is consistently Red Red Red.

Note - this is not just due to Texas corporations love of cheap and illegal labor. It has to do with young and urban people. All those "jobs" that Texas kept inviting in from California and other places....bring people to Austin and San Anton. and other place in bulk - young people who "think differently" then the more recent Texans (I doubt the new people, for example, attend Baptist churches regularly)

It's important to note that Texas has some good modern history in the form of the Jim Hightower, Ann Richards, Molly Ivins type of personality, so it's not like it's been deep red forever. There was a time when Texans were known for common sense....this was before the Oil Barons and others bought the place (politically).

The REAL question isn't Texas...it's that if Texas is within 5 points, what will the deal be in REAL swing states. Trump has to win pretty much every one and also win some leaning blue states in addition.
These articles are always a hoot. UK press and a New York Leftist making predictions about Texas.

Beto raised $80 Million dollars (the most in history for a Senate race) and STILL could not win against an unpopular GOP Senator. IF Beto had won that election, it would not have made Texas purple ... there is not a single office at the State level held by a Democrat and hasn’t been a single seat held by a Democrat for over 25 years. The Texas Legislature is often a purple color and reasonable Texans like it that way. Certainly doesn’t mean we are likely to trust them again with leadership.

I do think that “panic” letter sounds like your everyday fund raising letter ... which even the New York writer admits.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:

And this is why Beto should have run against Cronyn for the Senate vs wasting his time and money running for president
Maybe he thinks he can run for govenor when Abbot runs again because he is going no where in the presidential election
The Democrats in Texas in areas that have a strong conservative GOP voting pattern—
My local precinct being one—have shown that a dedicated grass roots active participation can bring out voters who have felt disenfranchised by having no party effort to rouse their interest and their vote
Beto had an incredible local effort
People in my area were hosting groups to canvass local neighborhoods for unregistered voters, to make inroads on getting people to participate in voting
And I saw more Beto signs than I did for Obama or HRC
I think most people think that Hispanics are the threat but really there are plenty of non-Hispanic voters that can get behind a viable candidate who advocates for realistic programs

And people are afraid to lose the ACA even if they have company health benefits because they know the ACA has made company health plans better and more consumer beneficial
The drive to cut the ACA is done by hard right schism within in the GOP
And most GOP voters don’t understand they will be screwed if it is killed...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-12-2019 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 07:09 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
With illegals pouring in and their offspring being able to vote eventually, it's only a matter of time before the Democrats' plan to win by bringing in invaders pans out.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Have you ever been on a political email list? Every email they remind you they will lose and the world will end if you don't give them money.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Fake news from anti-Trump websites... Even the TDS OP knows it's BS, but don't let it stop them from posting BS Fake News...

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
The Texas GOP is addressing such concerns. One bill signed by Governor Abbott makes it 'easier' for a political party to be on statewide ballots. Previously, a political party had to draw 2 percent of the vote in the Governor's race, or 5 percent for any state wide race, to be on the ballot.

The new bill lowers the threshold to be on a statewide ballot to 2 percent of votes cast, in any of the five previous elections (a ten year window).

So, whereas previously the Green Party had difficulty being on statewide ballots, this bill makes it much easier for the party to be on the 2020 ballots. The GOP believes that this will siphon votes away from Democrats.

Oh, and the bill also makes it more difficult for Libertarians to be on the ballot, due to a provision concerning filing fees.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Of course, this political watcher doesn't think so (I say Trump by 3 points), but the fact that they are running scared is important.
It's not "important". It's outrageous.

It's outrageous that you are hoping to win elections by facilitating an invasion of your own country.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Texas is not going to be even purple before 2024 and I believe much further along than that. Beyond 2024 is more like the 15 day weather forecast, too many variables can come into play.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:43 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I think the political map could change in much of the country once baby boomers no longer dominate the electorate. The numbers in Texas will be closer going forward but I think that it will remain reliable red at least through 2024. After that, I think there's a good chance it could go purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies