Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm telling ya, Trump has these people acting as crazy as he is.
Be honest people were triggered by it long before Trump took office. It's been an issue for as long as there has been a press 1 for English recording.

There have been threads on this forum about it for as long as I have been a member. Danny, you are being dishonest if you are blaming Trump for it.

There was outrage when Ted Kennedy made a speech in Spanish. Let's be honest about that too. He did it to pander. Just like the Dems during a recent debate.

My wife and I speak her native language when we are in public. It affords some privacy, and I don't give a flying F&%k how many pig eyed snoops that it offends. My Children are all Multi-lingual and we switch between languages all the time. I have only been confronted once and I told the busy body lady in 2 languages to lick my hairy Balz. Freedom of speech isn't just to speak English when you want to, it's to speak any language when you want to. Although I absolutely oppose special treatment for Spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:06 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I manage a restaurant. And as such I have the right to refuse service for almost any reason. If a customer is making my workers feel uncomfortable, I have every right to ask them to leave. If they refuse to leave after being asked to do so, they are at that point trespassing, and are subject to removal by the local police department. At least, that is what the Chief of Police in my town told me. He frequents my restaurant a few times a week, and I asked him a long time ago how to best handle rowdy/disrespectful customers. I have asked 3 different people on 3 separate occasions to leave my restaurant for cursing at me while placing an order/lodging a complaint. Being disrespectful to the proprietor of a business is always a good way to get your butt thrown out the door.
When you become a proprietor then you can be a tyrant and throw people out for petty insults.
As manager your first concern is making money for the proprieter and that usually means avoiding situations that bring bad PR to the business just because you want to be a good SJW.
In the end this business will lose traffic from people tired of being assaulted by foreign languages.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
When you become a proprietor then you can be a tyrant and throw people out for petty insults.
As manager your first concern is making money for the proprieter and that usually means avoiding situations that bring bad PR to the business just because you want to be a good SJW.
In the end this business will lose traffic from people tired of being assaulted by foreign languages.
Assaulted by foreign languages. Drama queen much. As boneyard mentioned freedom of speech isn’t just for English.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about wanting to listen to anyone else's conversation it's about having to listen to foreign babble being spoken loudly in public especially when you can't escape it. At least have the courtesy to move to a private area where you're not in earshot of others. It makes one feel like they are living in a foreign country, it's rude and arrogant, IMO. I'm speaking of those who do know English but refuse to speak it out in public.
I wish we could transport you back to New Amsterdam. There were at least 18 different languages being spoken on the streets by the 1640's. And English was far from being the predominant one, if it was spoken at all.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:19 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about wanting to listen to anyone else's conversation it's about having to listen to foreign babble being spoken loudly in public especially when you can't escape it. At least have the courtesy to move to a private area where you're not in earshot of others. It makes one feel like they are living in a foreign country, it's rude and arrogant, IMO. I'm speaking of those who do know English but refuse to speak it out in public.
It's particularly rude when employees in a business you're giving your money to are engaging in such behavior.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I wish we could transport you back to New Amsterdam. There were at least 18 different languages being spoken on the streets by the 1640's. And English was far from being the predominant one, if it was spoken at all.
If I remember, he lives in Southern California. Spanish has been a big part of that state since long before it was a state.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I believe people who intend to live in this country, should learn, and speak the language.
If I attended a foreign country, that would be the first thing I would want to learn, so I could communicate with the people in that country.
FYI, anyone born on the island of Puerto Rico already IS living in this country!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
If I remember, he lives in Southern California. Spanish has been a big part of that state since long before it was a state.
Yeah, and he makes enough of a stink just having to hear people speak one foreign language. Imagine him having to listen to 18 languages? New Amsterdam was founded by the Dutch, the English didn't take it over until 1664.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Actually, there were very few Spanish speakers in the territory before it became a state. In fact, in 1850, there were only 8,000 people of non-native ancestry in the territory in 1850. Note, this is during the Gold Rush, which brought many Anglos from the east.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually, there were very few Spanish speakers in the territory before it became a state. In fact, in 1850, there were only 8,000 people of non-native ancestry in the territory in 1850. Note, this is during the Gold Rush, which brought many Anglos from the east.
.....source? And I included before it was a state...and as you noted in your choice of 1850 Gold Rush era, there was an influx especially right then. Demographics change, but some people like to act like Spanish in California is some sort of new occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies