Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 PM

15,036 posts, read 10,005,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How about a little respect for an opinion that is different from yours? I never attacked you for your opinion, did I?
So it is your opinion that it is rude and disrespectful. You have to accept that opinions are not universal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Don't call me a liar! Why does one need to know Spanish in order to get a job in Miami for example?
If the job demands it, then it should be that so. Or are you against private business making decisions for themselves on what is and is not applicable for the job?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I never said it was against the law so WTH are you talking about? I said it was rude and disrespectful! Many things aren't against the law but they are still rude and disrespectful. This is about those who know English but won't speak it in public not those who don't. Many never ever both to learn English no matter how many years they have been here either.
As you already mentioned, this is an opinion thus not universal.

I suggest earplugs as someone already recommended or at least thicker than snowflake skin.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
it appears that a large number of Americans would prefer an amorphous, non-descript America with no borders, no discernable national language, no national currency, no national values - with high taxes, no one required to pull his weight, legalized drug use ----I'm sure great Americans from our history would be outraged by the direction this country has taken.
How do you go from two individuals speaking among themselves in private in a foreign language to all that?

A bit melodramatic... don't you think?

Further more...

This thread is about a very isolated situation: two people having a private conversation among themselves. They are not demanding those around them to accommodate or speak their language. They are not excluding others... nor discriminating against others. It is a private conversation that no one else should be privy to.

Changing the narrative as you are attempting to do, implies that it isn't about your opinions/feelings or whether or not they are being rude. Rather it is a clear sign that the core issue here is that you deem immigrants as a threat.... no more no less.

Last edited by usayit; 07-14-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Speaking two languages is not a common skill in native born americans. Why should we be burdened with such a requirement just to codify a segment who wont assimilate?
Employers hiring only bilinguil candidates are engaged in discrimination.
I see... a language translator job is now discriminatory against single language speakers. I see...

Old 07-14-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
An entire U.S. city should not be discriminating against native English speakers in their hiring practices, that's why! Even here in the southwest employment ads read "bi-lingual" required when these are ordinary jobs not in the tourist industry.
So you against a private business running their business as they see fit?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,061,940 times
Quote:
I never said it was against the law so WTH are you talking about? I said it was rude and disrespectful! Many things aren't against the law but they are still rude and disrespectful. This is about those who know English but won't speak it in public not those who don't. Many never ever both to learn English no matter how many years they have been here either.
I speak Spanish and I have zero percent hispanic/latino heritage.

I learned Spanish in high school and continued my Spanish language studies in college.

I speak Spanish in public with other Spanish speakers.

You consider this rude and disrespectful?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
It's not bigoted or close minded not to want to learn a language you will never use. It's close minded not to learn something more useful. The only way it's an asset is if one is working in the tourist industry or are dealing in business with a foreign country and even at that English is the language of business across the world.
Post you responded to isn't calling you bigoted or close minded because you only know one language. That is your choice.

It is saying that if you consider multi-lingual people a liability to this country, then you are bigoted and closed minded.

Two different things.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The past 2 years? Where have you been? Im on the side of freedom of speech here, but Ill be damned if I will go along with revisionist history.

Obama and the Dems are the ones who really cranked up the for us or against us politic. The Us or them attitudes with their class warfare approach.

Trump is a wad, but this started long before he ever put his hat in the ring.

Why do people insist on turning a blind eye to their own?
This sentiment definitely existed way before Trump.... I agree.

But it also existed way before Obama.... it has been in the making for decades by both parties; who have increasingly divisive views on what the future America should look like.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 PM

15,580 posts, read 10,301,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
If I'm talking spanish to my Mexican relatives or friends in front of a gringo and they think I'm talking about them too bad. Learn a 2nd language.
If I'm speaking my limited Russian or Hebrew to my respected friends or relatives and they think I'm talking about them as well, too bad.
as a person who worked with expats in the US whose first language was not english, I never felt excluded when I was with them socially.

expats always included me in the conversation by speaking english. being polite was no doubt a result of being trained by their parents in good manners.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-14-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies