Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times

Advertisements

One of my co workers is loudly saying something every-time she hears someone speaking Spanish. However, it is unspeakably rude to do this. Clearly if you are speaking Spanish you don't want anyone to know what you are saying. That can't be good. It is no wonder people get upset at it. I work with Spanish Interpreters and the only reason they EVER start speaking spanish is when they have to. So if you are speaking Spanish out in the world... you are being rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:13 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
One of my co workers is loudly saying something every-time she hears someone speaking Spanish. However, it is unspeakably rude to do this. Clearly if you are speaking Spanish you don't want anyone to know what you are saying. That can't be good. It is no wonder people get upset at it. I work with Spanish Interpreters and the only reason they EVER start speaking spanish is when they have to. So if you are speaking Spanish out in the world... you are being rude.
It's rude to get mad that you (general) can't eavesdrop. And no, it's not always so people won't know what they are saying. Just ignore it or go somewhere else. That's what I do when I am in a place where people are allowed to smoke, or when people wear perfume, etc.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 AM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
They don't HAVE to speak English if all of the people in the group speak Spanish. Do you get this upset when you hear Asians speaking their own language or is it just Spanish speaking people you have a problem with?
I was going to stay out of this thread completely because I already explained my case over and over and answered every single question posed to me but you and yours continue to ask the same questions over and over again anyway. There are hardly any Asians speaking their native tongue where I live it is always Spanish speakers and many times they do know English but refuse to speak it in public where I live. I have also stated over and over that it is also a reminder of the massive illegal invasion into our country by Spanish speakers and particularly in So. Calif. where I live. It's like pouring salt in a wound and a reminder of just how many Spanish speakers refuse to assimilate linguistically into our society out in public whether they be here legally or illegally. If you can't understand that then I can't help you. I have lived here since the 50's and it wasn't like this until the last couple of decades or so.

No one is saying they don't have the freedom of speaking their native language but why when the entire group knows English but refuses to unless they have to? Yes, it is rude and disrespectful. I saw an entire group in a restaurant speaking Spanish loudly but the minute the waiter came to take their order they all ordered in English because they had to and knew how to. So why converse in Spanish then? It's irritating to listen to their babble and no I'm not the least bit interested in knowing what they are talking about. This isn't the only example I could give you but many others.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm telling ya, Trump has these people acting as crazy as he is.

It's not just Trumpism or folks getting bent (because English is our primary language) causing issues. When I was hospitalized recently I encountered an issue , and it's not uncommon at all, with foreign language being used. This hospital has a lot of Filipinos working there. The nursing staff is probably better than 40%.

I asked one of these nurses for some help as I was tethered to IVs and needed to get out of bed. Apparently she was to busy to be bothered , waved her arms in irritation and fired at me in Tagalog. I understand Tagalog. I lived in the PI for four years. It was a very...umcomplimentary phrase.

Now there is a hospital rule that employees will not use foreign languages on the floor, particularly in interactions with patients. And using insulting language in a foreign tongue is frowned on to the extreme. I told her I wanted to see the charge nurse immediately and also hit my call light to request this via that means.

She was disciplined. Now, there are many out there who use Spanish and other languages so as to speak insultingly and crassly in public thinking none of we stupid Anglos understand them. In most cases they are right but not always by any means. In a lot of cases they are speaking fighting words.

It's a problem. And has nothing to do with "xenophobia" or whatever.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My family has been here since 1638. Spanish is my second language. Are you really going to tell me I am being rude for speaking a language I worked hard to learn privately? I'm sorry you were too lazy to pick up Spanish, but it's not my fault you can't eavesdrop on my conversation.
LOL, get over yourselt! We dont want to hear your conversation, thats the whole point!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
LOL, get over yourselt! We dont want to hear your conversation, thats the whole point!
Don't you just have to laugh when they use the argument that we are too lazy to learn Spanish? Well, why the hell should we and why Spanish in particular? We already have the common language of English to communicate with them in. These same people won't demonize Spanish speakers for being too lazy to learn English though, do they? English is the de facto national language of this country, not Spanish. Like you I have no desire to hear what's going on in the life of Jose and Maria it's just irritating to hear loud Spanish being spoken in public especially when they know how to speak English. They are the problem not native English speakers.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post

Then don't listen?

If someone isn't speaking to you, why do you care what language they're speaking? Get over yourself. And work on your punctuation, because if you're only going to speak one language then you might as well do it well.

If you don't understand the many reasons why people want to speak another language when they speak English, then it's clear you never bothered to learn ANY other language. That's a shame.

When I lived in Mexico, I'd speak English to other English speakers and revert back to Spanish when addressing Spanish speakers because it was easier. I didn't have to think as much about how to express myself and instead relied on more familiar colloquialism as. In the US, I speak Spanish to other Spanish speakers to try to keep my skills sharp. Lose it or use it, and all that jazz. A family may prefer to speak to children being raised in an English speaking society in their native tongue so that the kids grow up bilingual - several of my friends primarily speak as a family in French or Hebrew for this very reason.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:13 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/airplan...cist-clapback/

In your face! While my Spanish from HS is not very good, I certainly remember how to curse in Italian from my Nonna, and that Italian hand gesture meaning the same. I wonder how many English Only people understand that hand gesture? lol

Good people fighting back against prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies