Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
If you break up the tech monopolies, that will help.
Break up AT&T and Comcast up into at least 3-4 separate companies each and each is not legally-owned by AT&T or Comcast or each other. Sames goes for some other big tech companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Ah. You learn something new every day.

quote]

Quote:
How to make phone calls with Google Home

You can now use your Google Home like a landline Phone

Add speakerphone to the list of features for Google Home. The range of smart speakers can place and receive calls, all hands-free.
The calling feature turns your Google Home into a landline of sorts, letting you ask Google to call anyone who is in your contacts, as well as local businesses. The only thing Home can't call -- at least not yet -- is an emergency service like 911.
Hands-free calling on Google Home is quite a bit different. Effectively, your Google Home becomes a VoIP (voice over internet protocol) speakerphone that can call your Google Contacts and businesses. It also doesn't require the people you are calling to have a Google Home speaker or even a Google account. You can call effectively anyone with a phone number, except emergency numbers.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-m...h-google-home/

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-14-2019 at 01:29 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 01:05 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
And if I were in an abusive relationship where I thought my husband/boyfriend/whatever was going to try to hurt me,
and yet I was unwilling to leave for whatever reason,

Yes, I would darn sure set up the device to call the Police. Better than dying or being battered.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-14-2019 at 01:30 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are being spied on all the time by our computers and phones. If I look up something on a website I will see ads for similar products on other websites and in some cases it has transferred over to my phone.

My wife and I were talking about buying something and 5 minutes later she picked up her phone and there was an advertisement for the product.

I would never buy one of those Alexa things. I still like to do things myself, the old fashioned way such as right now I am building a pod like in the movie "2001 a Space Odyssey" so my wife and I can get inside to have a private conversation. I just hope the toaster hasn't learned to read lips...
Oh, man, this is scary stuff!!!

At the risk of asking a very stupid question, haven't most people read Fahrenheit 451 or 1984, and/or Brave New World?! Much of what is contained in those books is coming true right now before our eyes.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-14-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
As far as technology goes, you can’t put the genie back in the bottle.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I love my Echo devices and use them several times a day, including when I’m reading C-D threads e.g. “Alexa, what is the population of...” It’s great for reminders/timers, simple math questions (what is the square root of...), conversion questions (how many acres in 12 hectares), calories (how many calories in an apple), and other simple google type questions.

Don’t unplug the device from the wall. Just unplug the device end of the chord.

I use my smart phone much the same way either by voice or just typing in a request. I like the fact that it's portable and can come with me. The GPS has come in handy a few times. It would be nice to have music on demand vs going to YouTube. We've talked about getting Alexis or Echo. I hear ya about disconnecting it but is it still a vampire if you leave it plugged in? I unplug just about everything electrical when not in use.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I use my smart phone much the same way either by voice or just typing in a request. I like the fact that it's portable and can come with me. The GPS has come in handy a few times. It would be nice to have music on demand vs going to YouTube. We've talked about getting Alexis or Echo. I hear ya about disconnecting it but is it still a vampire if you leave it plugged in? I unplug just about everything electrical when not in use.
I have Echo devices in my living room, den, and bedroom (my next purchase will be for my kitchen). I’m not sure what you mean by vampire but I never unplug. There’s nothing I’m concerned about Amazon hearing (I live alone and it would never occur to me to recite my banking info or credit card numbers out loud).

I know everything I request is recorded. I can go to the Amazon app and see a list of my past voice commands and Alexa’s answers. I can also delete any of those recorded exchanges.

Sometimes when I am watching TV, Alexa is triggered by a word she heard and attempts to converse with the TV. It’s rather funny.

If you’re want to buy an Echo to try it out, tomorrow is Amazon Prime Day and the prices for Prime members are always the cheapest of the year. For example, Echo Dot in Canada will be Cdn $30, regularly Cdn $70.

I have never had a Google device so I can’t comment on them. It makes sense to stick to the same device everywhere in the home though once you've made a decision between Google and Amazon. For example, I can tell Alexa to play xxxx everywhere and the music will play on all my devices. I just have to remember to tell Alexa to stop everywhere when I want the music stopped.

Last edited by cdnirene; 07-14-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 03:37 PM

27,127 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
It's great that this woman was saved from further harm but if we accept this sort of technology calling the cops in these circumstances we set a very bad precedent. And we cannot ignore the fact that Amazon lied to us about their device only listening when we say "Alexa". If they are lying about that, what else are they lying about?

Are you OK with our technology listening to us and reporting us when we commit a crime? What about countries with hate speech laws? Should this sort of technology report people committing hate speech infractions in their own homes?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/949544...ce-new-mexico/
Alexa just seems more and more sinister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies