Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 AM

456 posts, read 348,404 times

Advertisements

Average teacher wage is no more meaningful than average office worker wage. Where there are teacher shortages, the pay is too low. Where there are surpluses, the pay is good or high. I know we have a shortage in our area and I would like to see the teacher paid more and less spent on athletics. That's not likely to happen though.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
in our county, the public school system is the largest Full-Time With Benefits employer.
it is also the largest Part-Time employer. if the politicians want to get elected,
they must say the "right" things about the poor, underpaid teachers and staff.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
The state of Kentucky employed slightly over 43,000 teachers last year, with Jefferson County (Louisville) being the largest employer. All but a handful of schools will have started by this time next month. There are 2422 classroom teacher vacancies as of Friday, July 12 and vacancies are usually removed from the list within 48 hours of hiring. I believe in a week, at most two, is when waivers from the state for hiring unqualified individuals become practically automatic - including people who are just high school graduates. Please explain to me how this is happening since teachers are so incredibly compensated.

Now, across the river in Ohio, where the pay and benefits are better, even though schools starts approximately 2-3 weeks later, except in a few urban districts, there are only a few districts that have a couple of openings and most have none. See how that works?

Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension plan. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much
Yea, those "180 days" are 12-16 hour days most times. And with pre and post year planning, it's really 190-195 days. But lets just use 180 to start with. 180 * 12 hours is 2160 hours or 270 days, more than the 251 days most workers work (261 weekdays per year minus 2 weeks of vacation). So teachers actually work MORE than the typical worker. Knowing several teachers, including my own mom, that article is full of it!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,765,029 times
Quote:
So teachers actually work more than the typical worker

Census Bureau asks Americans how many hours they work per week, teachers gave virtually the same answer as non-teachers.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:06 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,745,831 times
if teacher's are underpaid, everyone is underpaid. where I am from, teachers start out making over $50k a year. I can't think of many professions where you can get an easy degree, get a job you can't get fired from, summers off, and make that kind of money. teacher's do fall behind salary wise mid career, but most other people get promotions in other professions to get those higher salaries.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:09 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Census Bureau asks Americans how many hours they work per week, teachers gave virtually the same answer as non-teachers.
Which is bull. I don't know what teachers they asked, but that isn't correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
if teacher's are underpaid, everyone is underpaid. where I am from, teachers start out making over $50k a year. I can't think of many professions where you can get an easy degree, get a job you can't get fired from,
(Bolding mine) Say what? HAHAHAHAHAH!

Quote:
summers off,
Again, after spending more hours working during the school year than virtually any other job! Even nurses only work 3 12 hours shifts for 36 hours per week. Maybe 14 hours for begin and end of shift stuff for 42 hours per week.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Yes and no. Depends where they teach, how long they have teached, and area they specialize in.

Do believe teachers do need higher salaries.

Only see this occuring with a few scenarios that would not have a larger Federal Government oversight.

1 ) Incorporate with the USPHS teachers and social workers (if not already) to serve with the Government.

2 ) Internal Teacher Peace Corp type of program. Serve 2 years after college as a teacher in rural area's aceoss the U.S. Receive a stipend for food and housing. Government pays back $30,000 of your student loans.

3 ) Encourage service with Military, Peace Corp, AmeriCorp, and so forth. Eligible if serve 4 year's receive $7,500 a year towards college education, max $30,000.

4 ) Increase education standards for teachers going into the Profession at a Master's level.

5 ) Federal Government creates a living wage formula that State's use the formula to calculate minimum wage in their State. Factors in cost of food, healthcare, gas, rent, and utilities.

6 ) More State's should consider doing away with pensions for new teachers and replace with a 403 A & B.

7 ) Federal rental assistance for teachers. Special low intetest rate home loans for teachers.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-13-2019 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,745,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The state of Kentucky employed slightly over 43,000 teachers last year, with Jefferson County (Louisville) being the largest employer. All but a handful of schools will have started by this time next month. There are 2422 classroom teacher vacancies as of Friday, July 12 and vacancies are usually removed from the list within 48 hours of hiring. I believe in a week, at most two, is when waivers from the state for hiring unqualified individuals become practically automatic - including people who are just high school graduates. Please explain to me how this is happening since teachers are so incredibly compensated.

Now, across the river in Ohio, where the pay and benefits are better, even though schools starts approximately 2-3 weeks later, except in a few urban districts, there are only a few districts that have a couple of openings and most have none. See how that works?
what is the average salary in jefferson county as a whole? is everyone "underpaid?" are firemen making $80k a year while teacher's are making $24k?

Old 07-13-2019, 08:13 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Teachers here make less than the manager at a fast food place. Salaries vary widely depending on where you live. Teachers are so scarce that districts are allowed to hire people with an AD when they can't find anyone qualified. My daughter has her teaching certificate but works in-home health care because it pays much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.