Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:31 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times

Advertisements

You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension plan. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

Quote:
average teacher salaries and benefits total well over $100,000.
https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 07-13-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2019, 07:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You gotta be kidding me they make well over $100k including benefits and they’re underpaid. Not only that they only work 180 days a year and have a generous pension system. And they’re complaining. Please!!!

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-paid-too-much
This is an opinion piece, not a news article. Please note they create their own numbers, including adding 9% because of job stability - when did this become a thing in computing yearly income? Additionally, they count states where teachers are ineligible for Social Security in figuring out the “lushness” of pension plans without deducting the Social Security they should have eligible for - in 15 states that means their figures are padded by approximately $30,000/year.

But... let’s not get in this dispute. Instead, I will offer you what I do every person that goes on rants about how underworked and/or overpaid teachers are - DM me and I will help you hop on the gravy train. There are states that are stuffering teacher shortages, so there are alternative routes available to certification. There are places where school is starting in less than three weeks that literally do not have enough teachers to open their front door.

Of course, as always, no one will take me up on that offer. They’ll say things like they don’t want to work with today’s brats, or they don’t want to go back to school, or some other reason. Well, guess what... you aren’t alone. Dealing with other people’s children, having to take X number of graduate school classes every five years, dealing with angry parents, having your speech stifled, being held under a community microscope, and other pitfalls of teaching are a pain in the butt and interfer with quality of life - not to mention being society’s favorite whipping boy who everyone assumes is getting a cushy ride in life. Every proffession has to pay people enough to entice them to do the job, teaching is no different.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
LMAO. If you believe that BS. Go out and get a teaching job. There aren’t enough teachers in most of our states.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times
My wife taught for 30 years and I have to agree with you. Her highest salary was 64k with a masters degree.
Salaries USED to be very low, not any more.
She benefited from working at a under performing school. They extended the school day by an hour and increased the salaries accordingly. It made NO difference academically. All it did was give the students two free meals and a safe place to be.
When will people learn that teachers have no control over what goes on at home?
If you live in a three family slum neighborhood with one parent and drug dealers and prostitutes for neighbors, homework is low on the to do list.
I could go on and on with stories that make you shake your head.
Bottom line...More money for the schools DOES NOT WORK.

disclaimer: Never thought i would even somewhat agree with this poster. I've seen these schools first hand and volunteered in them for many years.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,226,594 times
My Mom retired from working in the business office of a regionalized school system and part of her job was the payroll and balancing the books.

Teaching is a tough often thankless job and it takes many years and even decades to reach a good level of pay upwards of 6 figures. The biggest problem in the school system was that they heads of the school would go to the towns looking for overrides for their budget "it is for the kids" and in most cases they were handed what they asked for.

What was down right criminal was the average teacher made approx. $45,000 plus benefits while the administrators, Superintendents etc.. and the technology department heads were all making well over $100,000.

I think that is how it is in most schools. The teachers that are down in the trenches each day make far less than the heads of the schools that have very little if any contact with the kids.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LMAO. If you believe that BS. Go out and get a teaching job. There aren’t enough teachers in most of our states.
Yes, and guess what concentration has by far the biggest shortage of teachers. Yep, it’s ESL. As we say here in Boston “Wicked shocka!”.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:24 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
pmy sister is a teacher for Irvine Unified School District in California. she has 5 years on the job and with dual Masters.

FYI: Irvine is a very affluent city. The average home here is close to a million dollars.

she is definitely not making 100k a year.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
pmy sister is a teacher for Irvine Unified School District in California. she has 5 years on the job and with dual Masters.

FYI: Irvine is a very affluent city. The average home here is close to a million dollars.

she is definitely not making 100k a year.
I’ll bet she will be there within 5 years after she completes her steps.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:30 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
You would think there wouldn't be a teacher shortage if it was such a high paying cushy job. Something is not right when you can't find or even keep people in a job that pays $100,000 and you only work 180 days per year. One education site said the shortage will be over 100,000 teachers by 2017-2018 school year.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
At least in IL, the teachers protesting are in Chicago. The average salary of teachers in Chicago is $71K. In my opinion, a lot of them are overpaid. They can't even speak properly.

That average is brought up because of suburbs where the average teacher is making almost $100K. Teachers with masters degrees earn more than that. Teachers who also coach can make double that.

I think the protests are primarily from teachers in large cities, so the issue is being muddled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies