Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I keep hearing that the Democratic party has moved “left” and that some Democratic candidates may be “too far left”.

But in this era of unprecedented concentration of wealth and political power at the top, I can’t help wondering what it means to be “left”.

A half-century ago, when America had a large and growing middle class, those on the “left” sought stronger social safety nets and more public investment in schools, roads and research. Those on the “right” sought greater reliance on the free market.

But as wealth and power have concentrated at the top, everyone else – whether on the old right or the old left – has become disempowered and less secure.

{snip}

So why do we continue to hear and use the same old “right” and “left” labels?

I suspect it’s because the emerging oligarchy feels safer if Americans are split along the old political battle lines. That way, Americans won’t notice they’re being shafted.

https://robertreich.org/
A few excerpts from an excellent summation of why the USA has lost its mojo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Trump is the puppet master.
He has been at it for years, long before he ran for president. He knows how to pit native-born Americans against immigrants, the working class against the poor, whites against blacks and Latinos...
No Robert Reich, you annoying short idiot, Trump isn't the one doing that.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:38 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A few excerpts from an excellent summation of why the USA has lost its mojo.
The Democrats are the party of the oligarchs

1. illegal immigration
a. drives down American wages
b. creates a permanent, dependent class of dem voters

2. All the oligarchs are dems
a. Buffett
b. Bezos
c. Zuckerberg
d. Gates
e. Bloomberg

3. Dem policies punish the middle class- all helped kill the middle class
a. Banking de-regulation
b. NAFTA
c. China trade policies

4. The welfare state
a. encourages permanent slave class
b. eliminates class mobility
c. maintains voters dependent on dems for their living

You have bet on the wrong horse- Dems are for the oligarchs and their policies have resulted in the widest disparity in the "income gap" since 1900.

Wake up

Old 07-13-2019, 08:06 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
You should have given a Robert Reich warning so I'd be prepared when my hand slapped my forehead.

The significant divide is authoritarians vs. anti-authoritarians, btw.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Load of ****, this, only believed by idiots. Throughout time, it is leftists who gather wealth in their own hands. It was true of the populares in Rome, it was true of the committee of public safety in France, it was true in the Soviet union, and it is true of the leftist oligarchies that are developing in America.

Truly educated people know this, but education has been taken over by the Jacobins, and now the useful idiots believe **** like this. Capitalism is the ONLY mechanism that actually creates a middle class.

But go ahead and live on Animal Farm with Robert Reich and the rest of them. Let me give you a hint...you will be pulling the cart while they eat the apples and milk.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The Democrats are the party of the oligarchs

1. illegal immigration
a. drives down American wages
b. creates a permanent, dependent class of dem voters

2. All the oligarchs are dems
a. Buffett
b. Bezos
c. Zuckerberg
d. Gates
e. Bloomberg

3. Dem policies punish the middle class- all helped kill the middle class
a. Banking de-regulation
b. NAFTA
c. China trade policies

4. The welfare state
a. encourages permanent slave class
b. eliminates class mobility
c. maintains voters dependent on dems for their living

You have bet on the wrong horse- Dems are for the oligarchs and their policies have resulted in the widest disparity in the "income gap" since 1900.

Wake up
Wake up? Just what the hell do you think President Bush was doing while he and the Republicans dominated?

Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Load of ****, this, only believed by idiots. Throughout time, it is leftists who gather wealth in their own hands. It was true of the populares in Rome, it was true of the committee of public safety in France, it was true in the Soviet union, and it is true of the leftist oligarchies that are developing in America.

Truly educated people know this, but education has been taken over by the Jacobins, and now the useful idiots believe **** like this. Capitalism is the ONLY mechanism that actually creates a middle class.

But go ahead and live on Animal Farm with Robert Reich and the rest of them. Let me give you a hint...you will be pulling the cart while they eat the apples and milk.
You forgot the aristocracy of the pre-French Revolution times - no doubt somewhere along the line descended from some old warrior class that seized land after the fall of Rome. They were about amassing power and wealth for themselves. These were the conservative established order. They believed in keeping things the way they were, no matter who got hurt by their practices.

OR if you prefer a later example, try the robber barons of the 19th century who paid their workers a pittance, skimped on worker safety and health, and such. They were the ones amassing megabucks and opposed taxation of their wealth to furnish social security and such. Add government regulations of business in general. They all used the claim "It'll increase the cost of doing business!". Well, so what if it does? There's greater things at stake than super-high profits (completely aside from reasonable profits), like preventing detriment to their workforce and the public.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
The article is absolutely correct, until he implicitly calls for open borders and blames Trump for everything.

An endless stream of illegal immigrants hurts the middle class via lower wages and higher taxes. And Trump didn’t invent “divide and conquer,” both parties have been doing that since the beginning (recent example: Hillary’s “deplorables” comment).

Old 07-14-2019, 03:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
There is an old saying that Democrats and Republicans are two wings of the same dirty bird. Both parties are guilty although as a Libertarian I feel the Elite tend to run their New World Order beliefs thru the Democratic platform, think open borders and taking away guns.

At least Trump is onto something when he preaches Drain the Swamp. It’s a start. Trump slipped thru the cracks. He’s not one of them and it’s the reason why they despise him so much. All other POTUS? Hand selected by the Elite.

We all need to band together and fight. Ever stop to think we are being purposefully divided? Hard to fight a “vertical war” which is what we should be doing when we continue the horizontal battle ie Dems vs Reps, man vs woman, race vs race, straight vs gay etc.

The Elite want us fighting each other so the spot light isn’t shined on them which allows them to slowly and patiently take over the world in the format THEY want.

Don’t believe me? Take a few minutes to research New World Order and educate yourselves.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:42 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You should have given a Robert Reich warning so I'd be prepared when my hand slapped my forehead.

The significant divide is authoritarians vs. anti-authoritarians, btw.
I agree with this.

The problem I have with Trump and his supporters, more than anything else, is that they are right-wing authoritarians. They believe there is a set, divinely ordained way things should be, and that there should be laws to enforce that and zero tolerance for any dissent. Their desire to enforce their social order on the country is so strong they are willing to destroy the country if they have to if it helps them achieve that goal.

Most people may consider me a leftist snowflake but I'm anti-authoritarian, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies