U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

4,123 posts, read 2,584,370 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what I am supposed to take away from the OP. Yes labels we give things change over time so labels are meaningless. What matters is what is the exact platform of the party? I don't care whether you call Republicans progressive or authoritarians, what matters to me is how each party is going to vote on specific issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 3 hours ago)

3,400 posts, read 593,852 times
The transmogrification of political jargon into the opposite of what it previously meant goes back to the founding days. Even before 1776 there were disagreements among revolutionists, with one faction being known as "nationalists," who favored increased central gov't authority, and a balance between the three branches of gov't. The "federalists" favored state and legislative dominance, and weak central gov't.

By 1787, the 'nationalists' had started calling themselves 'federalists' and calling the opposition 'anti-federalists.' They were generally able to make that nomenclature stick.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not sure what I am supposed to take away from the OP. Yes labels we give things change over time so labels are meaningless. What matters is what is the exact platform of the party? I don't care whether you call Republicans progressive or authoritarians, what matters to me is how each party is going to vote on specific issues.
I can't disagree overall, but I have seen posts on CD from liberal posters touting abolitionists as 'liberals' and claiming kinship. As seen in post #1, the abolitionists were largely conservative by today's definition.

The reason labels matter is that they are often used to mislead.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

50,698 posts, read 26,743,691 times
Lol...no they wouldn’t.

Every Neo Confederate and Southern Lost Cause sympathizer today is a right wing Republican. And many Southern Conservatives are STILL mad that they didn’t get a chance to inherit Antebellum slavery.

Who argues today that the Civil War was unnecessary? Conservatives? Who argues today that the South had integration forced on them? Conservative. Who argues today that the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional? Conservatives. Who argues today that Confederate monuments are important? Conservatives. Who argues today that slavery really wasn’t a bad institution and that slave holders were benevolent? Conservatives! Who argues today that Confederate Generals were righteous, upstanding men that didn’t fight to keep slavery? Conservatives. Who argues today that slavery was an afterthought unimportant peripheral issue of the Civil War? Conservatives. Who constantly tries to downplay the significance of African Americans as a huge part of the casus belli of the Civil War in order to belittle us? Conservatives. What group is the most hostile to black folks today? Conservatives.

Don’t try changing the narrative. African Americans know better.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 195,796 times
So true desertdetroiter!!!

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Every Neo Confederate and Southern Lost Cause sympathizer today is a right wing Republican. And many Southern Conservatives are STILL mad that they didnít get a chance to inherit Antebellum slavery...
Donít try changing the narrative. African Americans know better.
So can you cite a survey of "Every Neo Confederate and Southern Lost Cause sympathizer?" It wouldn't even be possible to survey every one.

You make a lot of outlandish claims, but zero to back them up. You to should contact the Stanford U historian if you can back them up. We all know you can't.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
So true desertdetroiter!!!
Conservatives are so full of it. All this narrative changing is laughable.

Modern day conservatives are not the inheritors of the Lincoln or abolitionist legacy.

I’ve asked several conservatives in person if Nat Turner was a hero, and to a man they’ve all said no. They say that he was nothing more than a murderer

African Americans almost universally consider Nat Turner to be a great man. I rank him right up near where I once ranked Jesus when I was a Christian. Ditto my ranking of John Brown.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

903 posts, read 1,521,433 times
Quote:
Lol...no they wouldnít.

Every Neo Confederate and Southern Lost Cause sympathizer today is a right wing Republican. And many Southern Conservatives are STILL mad that they didnít get a chance to inherit Antebellum slavery.

Who argues today that the Civil War was unnecessary? Conservatives? Who argues today that the South had integration forced on them? Conservative. Who argues today that the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional? Conservatives. Who argues today that Confederate monuments are important? Conservatives. Who argues today that slavery really wasnít a bad institution and that slave holders were benevolent? Conservatives! Who argues today that Confederate Generals were righteous, upstanding men that didnít fight to keep slavery? Conservatives. Who argues today that slavery was an afterthought unimportant peripheral issue of the Civil War? Conservatives. Who constantly tries to downplay the significance of African Americans as a huge part of the casus belli of the Civil War in order to belittle us? Conservatives. What group is the most hostile to black folks today? Conservatives.

Donít try changing the narrative. African Americans know better.
CD won't let me rep you again yet but YEP you are right

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So can you cite a survey of "Every Neo Confederate and Southern Lost Cause sympathizer?" It wouldn't even be possible to survey every one.

You make a lot of outlandish claims, but zero to back them up. You to should contact the Stanford U historian if you can back them up. We all know you can't.
Was Nat Turner a righteous man for what he did?

Should slaves had tried to murder their slave Masters?

Were slaves the rightful property of their owners in your eyes?

See...this is easy.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Was Nat Turner a righteous man for what he did?

Should slaves had tried to murder their slave Masters?

Were slaves the rightful property of their owners in your eyes?

See...this is easy.
The post you quote asked for back up of your outlandish claims. Your reply does not provide any. Complete non-sequitur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or