U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 02:55 PM

2,278 posts, read 693,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Having apologized last year for its supposedly racist, Eurocentric past, National Geographic now declares that there are no real Europeans.

[sarcasm] So, all you deplorables, you are mostly descended from people who invaded Europe 4000-9000 years ago so you have no right to stop migrants from entering your countries today. Got that? [/sarcasm]

Genetic testing reveals that Europe is a melting pot, made of immigrants
It might not gel with your notions of human history but what they are saying is true. Here is a haplo map of Europe. Which country is genetically pure European?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 04:47 PM

11,088 posts, read 4,585,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
It might not gel with your notions of human history but what they are saying is true. Here is a haplo map of Europe. Which country is genetically pure European?
Europeans form a meaningful genetic cluster. "Genetically pure" is a meaningless term which I have never used.

Quote:
we observed that without using prior information about individual sampling locations, a clustering algorithm applied to multilocus genotypes from worldwide human populations produced genetic clusters largely coincident with major geographic regions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1310579/

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 07-15-2019 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 05:07 PM

2,278 posts, read 693,318 times
Quote:
Europeans form a meaningful genetic cluster. "Genetically pure" is a meaningless term which I have never used.
Wouldn't consider it "meaningful" by any stretch of the imagination. That said there are several notable regional genetic clusters. Those genetic cluster don't relate to anything cohesive or meaningful though. The Genetic cluster around the North Baltic with Finland, Estonia and Latvia does not have much overlap with the Greek, Turkish and Balkan cluster.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:30 PM

33,233 posts, read 16,998,405 times
Quote:
No mass immigration into the continent in the last 5000 years...
The Migration Period wasn't so named because people stayed where they were.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM

52,757 posts, read 42,379,799 times
LOL....this is hillarious looking at the map.

Here is the US, when a white person gets in a yelling match with a black person and they start calling each other slurs.....CNN doesn't report that Sally the serbian-chech-hun-egyptian said the N-word.....nope...they are just "white" because it's just pigmentation that matters I guess.

Same goes for someone that is more mixed race. Depending upon the politics of the situation someone can morph from mexican to white or vice-versa at the snap of the fingers.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 PM

51,000 posts, read 27,165,022 times
Quote:
I haven't disputed any of the science. I only take issue with the spin and politics being attached to it.

Many of us do. You clearly don't.
Of course I do oh superior Neanderthal man!

I bow before you your highness. Lol

Simply put, you wanna put us in our place and let it be known that we might both be humans, but we ain’t the same kinda humans.

I can dig it.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Wouldn't consider it "meaningful" by any stretch of the imagination.
sigh... That's technically meaningful... significant by the criteria used to define genetic clusters, not in some subjective, cosmic sense that we all might have opinions about.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think people do understand that 5000 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things. That is not the disconnect. I think two different arguments are being made at the same time.

If your family has been in, what is now, Austria for 5000 years, chances are you feel like an Austrian. And the rest of the world considers you an Austrian.

Now, the scientists are making the argument that, Austria is a melting pot because your family was from somewhere else 6000 years ago. To me, that doesn’t cut it, because we are not talking about transforming from a chimp into a human here. We are talking about the formation of ethnic groups among relatively small gene pools.
Yes. Although I'm not sure it's fair to put all the blame on scientists for that silliness. It is the National Geographic journalist making the argument here and I doubt many actual scientists would agree. The writer does provide a couple of quotes from people who sound likeminded. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a purely subjective, political take on who is a native and what is a melting pot, not a scientific conclusion.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:00 PM

5,491 posts, read 1,087,905 times
Even the first people that came from Africa are technically immigrants, right?

Old 07-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Migration Period wasn't so named because people stayed where they were.
Germans invading the Roman Empire? I don't see how that's related to what we're discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or