Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I doubt, as you predict, that I will EVER understand why loser-types call their betters "morons". Perhaps you are trying to make yourself look big, but it has the opposite effect. You just show your "smallness", in SPADES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
"On record" is an important qualifier. The fact is that the "record" is way too short and way to inconsistently-measured to be of any value whatsoever. Give me 2,000 years of accurately-measured data and we can talk.
Compared to me Trump is trailer trash

You sound like one of those people paid by the oil industry to spread doubt online where there is none...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
................. thanks to liberalism and their zeal to "help".

Keep in mind that the deforestation of the Amazon is being done to a great extent to raise crops for ethanol, which is supposed to "save the environment" due to using less fossil fuels!

Liberals destroy everything they touch.

No worries- civilization will cease in 11.5 years, so we don't have anything to worry about.
That's complete BS.

Most of the deforestation of Brazil is done to raise cattle followed by Soy bean farming and mining. Ethanol production accounts for about 1% of Brazil's exports.

Quote:
....70% of formerly forested land in the Amazon, and 91% of land deforested since 1970, is used for livestock pasture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_Brazil

Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Qualified scientists are stating this.
Do tell...

Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
"Carbon bomb" kind of sounds like something from a sci-fi movie!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
It would be devastating if the rain forest was destroyed. There are so many amazing life forms living there that it would be a disaster to see them go extinct.

We wouldn't have to worry about the people though because with the way the Dems are going we will have the entire population of South America living here in the states!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have nothing at all against the environmentalists who actually live in a sustainable way.
I am only against fake environmentalists.
Water consumption is also a big problem with electric cars because the production of the lithium used in the batteries is a very nasty, wasteful process, anything but environmentally friendly. But fake environmentalists don't care, they buy their electric cars and pretend they are off the hook.
Don't agree with much else that you've said, but do agree with this. And it's not just celebrities, it's every day people who are fake environmentalists, but brow beat anyone who doesn't live like they say everyone should live, even though they, themselves, do not live that way.

As for environmentalists and "doing good", it's going to be a very, very long time before I ever give those people any unbiased time to explain what they think is "good for the environment" after what they did to the Everglades in 2011 and on.

The Tamiami Trail separates a part of the Everglades. (For those not in the know, that's the major highway from west to east in the state - from Miami to Naples.) The road had/has culverts which allow the water from the north, (from Lake Okeechobee in the north) to run down into the southern part of the Everglades. Without that water from the lake, the south part of the Glades would dry up - and sometimes it does, naturally, because there wasn't enough rain. There were a few times that we couldn't take our airboats out very far at all into the Glades because even though an airboat can glide on a mere inch of water, it does take a few more inches than that to get up and going - and there wasn't enough.

The culverts under the Tamiami Trail did not prevent the water from flowing - it was simply a lack of enough rain.

But did the environmentalist idiots care to learn that?

Not at all.

Did the environmentalist idiots even talk to the people who lived in the Everglades, including the Miccosukee Tribe that has been there for over a century?

Not at all.

No, what they did is decide that they knew better than anyone else, and ripped up a large chunk of the Glades to build a stupid, unnecessary bridge. They didn't even do it in the heart of the Glades, they did it 5 miles in from Miami.

They ripped up the land, they soiled the water, who knows how many animals died due to the construction wall they put up on one side of the road, trapping animals who would cross the road to go to the other side - now met with a concrete wall, they didn't know what to do, would sit there and get run over, they destroyed an annual nesting area for the Wood Stork, which is on the "threatened" list. The Wood Stork is studied by those who work in water management because the Wood Stork is the indicator of how well the area is doing.

And what did these idiots do? Destroyed one of their annual nesting sites because the "bird man", as we called him, who came to talk to people in the area, didn't actually talk to anyone in the area. Instead, he took it upon himself to decide how things were going by observing the birds in the area for one whole day - and not at nesting time.

I don't give a damn what some ahole environmentalist thinks anymore. The destruction to the Everglades is already appalling enough as it is, but environmentalists apparently said, "Hold my beer".

The environmentalists can take their lectures and shove them straight up their backsides.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-15-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

We have such cases in Europe too where supposed experts do more harm than good. Sometimes they really mean well, but they just don't know enough about complex systems.

Add to that invasive species like pythons in the Everglades At least we don't have those here, yet.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
We have such cases in Europe too where supposed experts do more harm than good. Sometimes they really mean well, but they just don't know enough about complex systems.

Add to that invasive species like pythons in the Everglades At least we don't have those here, yet.
The 'experts' in all fields have been doing tremendous damage for decades and this applies to the natural sciences and the social sciences equally. Social engineering schemes have created tremendous unintended consequences in the US for example, yet they will never admit that they were wrong.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Compared to me Trump is trailer trash

You sound like one of those people paid by the oil industry to spread doubt online where there is none...
Believe me, nobody would bother comparing YOU to Trump. Not gonna happen. Who told you the oil companies paid people to dispute the Gibberish you spew?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It would be devastating if the rain forest was destroyed. There are so many amazing life forms living there that it would be a disaster to see them go extinct.

We wouldn't have to worry about the people though because with the way the Dems are going we will have the entire population of South America living here in the states!
I agree, the Amazon is of global importance, which is a problem though. I mean, we in Europe and the US have destroyed much of our nature to make room for agriculture. So it might come across as arrogant and hypocritical when we tell the Brazilians to leave their rain forest alone.
Maybe the world should pay countries like Brazil and Indonesia money in exchange for their protection of those critical rain forests.

But of course there is huge and increasing demand for things like soy and meat, there are just too many humans I'm afraid, too many mouths to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies