U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM

22,823 posts, read 16,889,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We have such cases in Europe too where supposed experts do more harm than good. Sometimes they really mean well, but they just don't know enough about complex systems.

Add to that invasive species like pythons in the Everglades At least we don't have those here, yet.
That is caused by stupid humans who get these snakes as pets, discover that they can't handle said "pet" when it grows up, and they toss them out into the Glades - along with their unwanted cats and dogs - which is exactly how I ended up with so many cats and dogs from that time I lived in the Glades - and the number of those I rescued and worked with a rescue group to get visits to the vet and adopted were 30+, let alone the ones I kept.

That happened with the iguanas, as well. Stupid humans would get them as pets, and when tired of them, toss them in the Everglades. Nature took care of that problem - for awhile. We had a very, very cold winter in Miami in...I can't remember the exact year - maybe 2008 or 2009, but either way, it was too cold for the iguanas that were left abandoned out there and killed them all. Saved the plants for awhile.

Until people started throwing their iguanas out there again.

That's not because of environmentalists, that's because of stupid people - and while I think they are all stupid, the stupid pet owners who did this/have done this don't have a clue about the environment, nor do they care. They would rather toss their animals out into the wilderness, where none of them belong, instead of going to the pound and being faced with what absolute turds they are.

Don't get me started on this - we'll be here for days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM

52,096 posts, read 41,919,559 times
Quote:
But it is not "supposed to" happen because we utterly depend on the climate we have had until recently, our agriculture etc. depends on it.
From what I read, there was some huge climate event in the Middle Ages, and it caused mass starvation in Europe and elsewhere.
Krakatoa did that, early 1800's. The year without a summer.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM

19,924 posts, read 14,766,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The 'experts' in all fields have been doing tremendous damage for decades and this applies to the natural sciences and the social sciences equally. Social engineering schemes have created tremendous unintended consequences in the US for example, yet they will never admit that they were wrong.
Reminds me of Democrats building affordable housing in Chicago, Detroit, NY, and other places, all they did was to create Sky rise crime infested Ghettos. If Democrats have an idea, rest assured it will turn out bad. Sanctuary Cities, are the just the latest in a long line of social experiments gone bad

Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 PM

35,360 posts, read 19,365,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Liberals destroy everything they touch.
You don't say!

Caution...

This image may be harmful to small children and Trumplings.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I say, odd, from a poster who supported Obama, a man who "actually" was responsible for the destruction of country of Libya, and tried to depose the president of Syria, resulting in 10s of thousands dead and up to 5 million displaced

I imagine you probably think Obama still deserves the Nobel peace prize and the woman he picked to replace him and continue his destructive policies is better than Trump. I prefer the much more peaceful Trump myself

Old 07-15-2019, 02:49 PM

21,583 posts, read 19,375,936 times
Trump is no better, after all he does what the hawks in his government tell him to do. Economic wars are just different, but not necessarily less severe than military wars. Look at how millions of fine, innocent Venezuelans and Iranians are being plunged into poverty for shallow ideological and economic reasons.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM

35,360 posts, read 19,365,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I say, odd, from a poster who supported Obama, a man who "actually" was responsible for the destruction of country of Libya, and tried to depose the president of Syria, resulting in 10s of thousands dead and up to 5 million displaced
Just like a Trumpling to blame Obama for Qadaffi and Assad.
Quote:
I imagine you probably think Obama still deserves the Nobel peace prize and the woman he picked to replace him and continue his destructive policies is better than Trump.
It's clear your imagination is "faulty" shall we say...
Quote:
I prefer the much more peaceful Trump myself
Deflection failure.

Now, let's get back to the subject at hand:

The problem of global warming.

Trump Consults Fake-News Memes While Mulling Climate Policy

Your boy tRump doesn't get it.

Neither do his followers.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM

9,144 posts, read 4,169,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Qualified scientists are stating this.

Conservatives trust pastors and televangelists more than scientists. They believe that Jesus is coming back to judge the world and that is happening soon. That's the core of why they don't get concerned about stuff like this.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM

21,583 posts, read 19,375,936 times
I think the rest of the world should slap a punitive tax on all US imports as the US gained an unfair cost advantage by canceling the Paris agreement. The same should apply to the dozen or so countries that have never ratified the agreement in the first place. I am already contacting EU representatives to that end...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I think the rest of the world should slap a punitive tax on all US imports as the US gained an unfair cost advantage by canceling the Paris agreement. The same should apply to the dozen or so countries that have never ratified the agreement in the first place. I am already contacting EU representatives to that end...
"The Paris agreement"? Wasn't that the one where all of the Leftist politicians and their rock star friends flew to Paris with their rock stars on gas guzzling private jets, then gave the world's biggest polluter, China all sorts of environmental breaks at our expense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies