Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fertilization/

“What I take out of these studies – provided they hold up under replication and further study – is that the factual dispute of the abortion debate has been resolved, and that we know abortion kills a biological human,” Jacobs said. “And since abortion is the killing of a human, it is a form of homicide. As a form of homicide, then, the central question is: Why is that homicide justifiable?”

Some of the comments are posted on the article page.

How DARE he say it's a human life!!!
So don't get an abortion then. You can believe what you want. Just leave me and everyone else out of it, let us make our own decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Legal person hood matters. Life/Human or not/Whatever are all just distrationary red herrings tossed out by overly emotional hand wringers.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agreed. This is no news, no big revelation, that a fetus is alive and it is human. But is it a person? Does it have rights? If it does, what happens when one person's right to life conflicts with another person's right to control their own body?

If I had kidney failure, and you were the only one on earth with a match, could you be forced to donate a kidney to me so that I could live? What if you were my mother?
That's an easy one to answer. Of course it has no rights. It can't vote. It can't be pandered to. It can't be indoctrinated. It can't be taxed(at least not directly). It has none of the qualities that would make it useful to the people who decide what rights we have and who those rights apply to.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:

“What I take out of these studies – provided they hold up under replication and further study – is that the factual dispute of the abortion debate has been resolved, and that we know abortion kills a biological human,” Jacobs said. “And since abortion is the killing of a human, it is a form of homicide. As a form of homicide, then, the central question is: Why is that homicide justifiable?”

Interesting, since this is what we were taught when I was in 7th Grade biology (1950-'s)
Everything about a person is determined at the instant of conception. EVERYTHING.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:

Okay then surely you're fine with newly pregnant women claiming child tax credits for their fetus?

Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:

So, then - Why don't we celebrate our "Conception Day" every year instead of our "Birthday"...?

Take all the time you need.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:49 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Could you come back with something from a peer reviewed academic journal?
While perhaps not peer-reviewed, the second paragraph in this Breitbart article says this"
Quote:
"Steven Jacobs, Ph.D. completed his doctoral dissertation research (final publication pending, but an earlier version can be read here) recently at the University of Chicago, but only after a decade of investigation that ultimately led to his final study titled “Balancing Abortion Rights and Fetal Rights.”
To avoid having to form an account to read this rough draft studyt, try this link: bit.ly/2Y8PtZm. Sure, a rough draft means it is not finalized yet. However, this study does have over 60 footnotes and bottom-of-page cited sources.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Abortion has nothing to do with wealth redistribution. It has to do with a woman's individual decision. Why some people agonize over it when they had absolutely nothing to do with her being in a position of choice, I don't know. Abortion wasn't considered murder in the bible, so they didn't get it there.
You think Planned Parenthood had an office at Palestine Blvd, between Temple and Main?

Rolling back odometers wasn't mentioned as fraud in the Bible either...has what to do with anything?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
You know, I could almost believe the arguments that the right-to-life crowd use except for the fact that it is these same people who yell about blood-sucking leaches on welfare or Medicaid. First they want all fetuses, even unwanted ones in households unprepared to raise a child in a decent manner, to become citizens, but then they deny those same citizens any sort of help when they need it. These right-to-lifers should pony up the money it takes to raise all these babies they are saving.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
A potential life isn't a human being.
You are a potential life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies