U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:22 PM

34,643 posts, read 28,987,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Has anyone read this "study"?
You dont need to an account you can download a PDF.
People, it was a survey analyzed from "correct" or "incorrect" answers to the questions concerning when life begins and one opened ended question. 62,469 academics were recruited, 7,383 participated, they used data from 5,502 participants.
Here are the questions.

Q1 - Implicit Statement A
o “The end product of mammalian fertilization is a fertilized egg (‘zygote’), a new
mammalian organism in the first stage of its species’ life cycle with its species’
genome.”
- Q2 - Implicit Statement B
o “The development of a mammal begins with fertilization, a process by which the
spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female unite to give rise to a
new organism, the zygote.”
- Q3 - Explicit Statement
o “In developmental biology, fertilization marks the beginning of a human's life since
that process produces an organism with a human genome that has begun to develop
in the first stage of the human life cycle.”
- Q4 - Open-Ended Essay Question
o “From a biological perspective, how would you answer the question ‘When does a
human's life begin?’”

No wonder they only had a 12% response.
It reads more like a philosophical questionnaire than a biological/scientific one. There are some SCIENCE-like words in there, but it's not a scientific inquiry.

If you shopped this to a bunch of philosophy professors, you might get a higher rate of participation.

Even then, those would probably want to write in explanations of their answers.

Old Today, 02:46 PM

9,342 posts, read 4,286,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agreed. This is no news, no big revelation, that a fetus is alive and it is human. But is it a person? Does it have rights? If it does, what happens when one person's right to life conflicts with another person's right to control their own body?

If I had kidney failure, and you were the only one on earth with a match, could you be forced to donate a kidney to me so that I could live? What if you were my mother?
I think I see the point you are making, but of course we are talking about two adults with voices and representation within the laws of our society.
The question as it relates to abortion is that your life or mine were not under our control when we were still in our Mom's womb?
We both undoubtedly would have said we choose to live since we both now able to decide for ourselves.
If either of our Moms had chosen to abort us, we would not be here discussing this issue.

As to right to control ones own body, much of our society looks at trying to strike a balance in most arenas of opposing points of view. However who is an advocate for the unborn child, even weeks or days before their birth?
You'd think if anyone would have standing, it would be the biological Dad or maybe even the Grandparents to be.
But instead the courts give all deference to the woman.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:27 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And yours doesn't either, except that you're willing to spend someone else's money.
Other people's money????? Who do you think is paying for these kids to be born? Funny, you're against OPM assisting women prenatally and you are against OPM assisting woman and child post natal. But I don't hear a peep about OPM during the birthing process from right wingers.

Old Today, 06:52 PM

14,376 posts, read 7,710,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Consciousness?
If consciousness is the new criteria, half of the democrats on CD aren’t humans.

Old Today, 06:53 PM

9,168 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
LOL that you consider peer-reviewed academic articles as fake news. Behold the low information, poorly educated Trump supporter. And proud of it to boot! LOL.
Which of Trump's supporters will be victorious in the race to the bottom? They will proudly display their ignorance for all to see. Who needs book-learnin'?

Old Today, 07:31 PM

6,658 posts, read 6,833,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If consciousness is the new criteria, half of the democrats on CD aren’t humans.

... and 3/4 of the conservatives.

You knew that was coming, right? I mean, you lead with your jaw, and someone's gonna tap that mierda.

Now, seriously, I don't believe that, and you don't believe what you wrote, either. You're just trying to tick people off, botlike. Or botfly like, trying to get under peoples' skins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or