U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM
 
2,880 posts, read 619,515 times
Reputation: 1835

Advertisements

Quote:
To gain linguistic and ultimately ideological supremacy, the left is constantly attempting to alter speech in ways both small and large.

The left recognized early on that changes in language are not superficial, and it became a big tool of theirs.


“Moving the Overton Window” is another name for the goal of the process, which is to change public perceptions of what is acceptable and what is radical. There are many ways the left accomplishes this, but a highly important one is through language.

I want to highlight the observations in this recent comment at my blog:

One fundamental principle – identified and exploited by both Goebbels’ Propagandaministerium and the KGB in Soviet Russia – is that endless repetition of a slogan infallibly modifies most people’s perception and reaction.

. . . . Everybody who comes from the left…knows that dissent means expulsion; so, any leftist develops a special ear capable of recognizing a new dogma: in articles and speeches given by the cool people in the cool places, a term begins to be used as if it were an indisputable evidence and those who “incredibly” refuse to accept it are gradually described as controversial, then conservative and eventually Fascist.
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...itical-change/

Wow, what an interesting article. (Happy?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,779 posts, read 16,854,796 times
Reputation: 26314
How long have I been saying this on this forum?

The left uses words, twists them, changes their definition, bans them....I've been saying this forever, on here. They combine all of that with emotions and feelings - and the result is what we have today: A bunch of mouth breathing morons who refuse to debate facts, they refuse to acknowledge context. Instead, they debate opinions, words, and how it makes them feel.

So, I will say it again: Until the right understands that, we will continue to have the issues that we are having right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM
 
5,273 posts, read 1,447,981 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...itical-change/

Wow, what an interesting article. (Happy?)
Simply a means to move the goal post to change the norms and mores of our society. Then, they go hysterical when the rest of the nation doesn't go along with their new changes, wishing to hold on to our traditions, which have largely worked well for us for generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM
 
5,312 posts, read 1,071,504 times
Reputation: 2963
This is the same radical movement that is trying to take American's Freedom of Speech away.

"Tommy Robinson: 'Britain Has Fallen' the U.S. is Next"



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPqq7lrE5DY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,736 posts, read 5,536,810 times
Reputation: 5403
My favorite term from the Left is “undocumented immigrant.”

Of course, the Right also has it’s Orwellian memes: Trump Derangement Synodrome, virtue signaling, snowflake, Social Justice Warrior, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
35,635 posts, read 10,546,076 times
Reputation: 33764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My favorite term from the Left is “undocumented immigrant.”

Of course, the Right also has it’s Orwellian memes: Trump Derangement Synodrome, virtue signaling, snowflake, Social Justice Warrior, etc.



There's nothing Orwellian about those descriptive terms.

"Undocumented Immigrant," however, is Newspeak at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM
 
37,026 posts, read 16,417,015 times
Reputation: 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How long have I been saying this on this forum?

The left uses words, twists them, changes their definition, bans them....I've been saying this forever, on here. They combine all of that with emotions and feelings - and the result is what we have today: A bunch of mouth breathing morons who refuse to debate facts, they refuse to acknowledge context. Instead, they debate opinions, words, and how it makes them feel.

So, I will say it again: Until the right understands that, we will continue to have the issues that we are having right now.
I fully understand it also and have for some time now. I completely agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,401 posts, read 600,708 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My favorite term from the Left is “undocumented immigrant.”

Of course, the Right also has it’s Orwellian memes: Trump Derangement Synodrome, virtue signaling, snowflake, Social Justice Warrior, etc.
As far as I know, SJW was coined by those on the left who wished to apply it to themselves. AOC & co definitely use the terminology, or at least variants of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,401 posts, read 600,708 times
Reputation: 1048
'Fascism' may be the best example of this. Before WWII many supported fascism. FDR called Mussolini an 'admirable gentleman,' and the National Recovery Act was modeled on Mussolini's council of corporations. The head of the board to implement this issued a pamphlet entitled "Capitalism and Labor Under Fascism," which was positive towards fascism.

After the Nazis, fascism became entirely a dirty word. All prior connections to it were scrubbed, and there was a massive campaign to re-define it. If you read the writings of Mussolini, who coined the word, His ideas are not all that far from what we have in the US today. Basically, private ownership of the means of production, but with massive regulation thereof by the government.

George Orwell once said that the word 'fascism' should be discarded, because it had lost all meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,551 posts, read 11,616,553 times
Reputation: 9102
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
'Fascism' may be the best example of this. Before WWII many supported fascism. FDR called Mussolini an 'admirable gentleman,' and the National Recovery Act was modeled on Mussolini's council of corporations. The head of the board to implement this issued a pamphlet entitled "Capitalism and Labor Under Fascism," which was positive towards fascism.

After the Nazis, fascism became entirely a dirty word. All prior connections to it were scrubbed, and there was a massive campaign to re-define it. If you read the writings of Mussolini, who coined the word, His ideas are not all that far from what we have in the US today. Basically, private ownership of the means of production, but with massive regulation thereof by the government.

George Orwell once said that the word 'fascism' should be discarded, because it had lost all meaning.
I’ve frequently stated Western economies are closer to fascism than socialism. The state is better at theft than producing anything of merit. Even most leftists recognize this. Of course the left is not nationalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top