U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM

19,554 posts, read 17,801,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Wow. Do a majority of his supporters truly believe this?
Yes they do. They fully believe Trump is above the law and the constitution which they hate, other than the 2nd, fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM

27,015 posts, read 19,150,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
First safe country is the key. Not every country they travel through is safe. Hence, the legal right to asylum in the U.S.
mexico is safe compared to Honduras, Guatemala, and el salavador. Canada is likely safer than the US.

should we transport them to Canada?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:50 AM

30,498 posts, read 20,148,030 times
Quote:
First safe country is the key. Not every country they travel through is safe. Hence, the legal right to asylum in the U.S.

Sure, whatever...just make up the rules as you go along.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM

79,555 posts, read 33,768,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Not anymore, it would seem.
Trump doesn't make the determination. A federal judge does. Trump can't say "this law no longer exists".

Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM

4,306 posts, read 2,540,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
How did you generalize an entire group from one random post on the internet?
I don't. That's why I was asking if it was a majority opinion. I have a hard time believing it is.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 PM

4,044 posts, read 1,236,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I don't. That's why I was asking if it was a majority opinion. I have a hard time believing it is.
There was no indication that it was a majority opinion to even bother ask that question, it was one random internet post. I can pick any post and ask "wow. do the majority of people believe this?", It sort implies that you do believe it.

Last edited by max210; 07-15-2019 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM

8,274 posts, read 2,456,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trump doesn't make the determination. A federal judge does.
Wrong. A federal judge has no more authority to interpret the law than the President does.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 PM

14,450 posts, read 7,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This is already the international standard for how asylum works - you go to the first safe country you can. In this case, it's Mexico, which for all its problems, has made tremendous progress over the past 30 years and is now a relatively rich and safe country, particularly compared to the northern triangle of countries.

There is no reason they should be making their way to the United States for asylum. If they wish to try to immigrate to the US under the legal immigration system, for school, financial reasons, etc, more power to them, but they should not be taking advantage of the asylum system.
I agree that some asylum seekers are scammers and some....are good people. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

However, you can't lump everyone into one myopic point of view fueled by hate and fear.

By definition an asylum seeker is someone who is "a person with well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence."

There are two processes. One is Affirmative asylum process. "Individuals can apply for asylum affirmatively if they are physically present in the U.S. REGARDLESS OF HOW THEY ENTERED THE COUNTRY within ONE YEAR OF ARRIVAL.

There is a Defensive asylum process. "Individuals can seek asylum as a defense against removal after they are apprehended by either ICE or CBP in the U.S. or at one of the ports of entry without a valid visa. The courts determine who stays and who goes. Individuals seeking asylum at ports of entry are screened by an asylum officer to determine if they have a valid reason to go to immigration court.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Nearly 22 percent of those granted asylum in 2016 were from China. El Salvador 10.5 percent, Guatemala 9.5 percent, Honduras 7.4 percent and Mexico 4.5 percent.

You can spin and call the left lunatics but the reality is that we have laws that must be respected. If a president defies the rule of law then the administration will be sued and the rule of law prevails. Asylum seekers have a legal right to pursue a claim. Blocking that legal right is against the law. It's as simple as that. Blame is not the answer nor the solution, and a president can not legally deny anyone from filing a claim. Hating desperate people is not the answer either. It's obvious that it's far too complex an issue and Trump is in over his head.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM

27,015 posts, read 19,150,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I agree that some asylum seekers are scammers and some....are good people. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

However, you can't lump everyone into one myopic point of view fueled by hate and fear.
you might have had a point to make, but i stopped reading here.

such tired hyperbole. you guys just can't help it, can you?

Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM

29,576 posts, read 15,512,519 times
Quote:
Not sure he won't face legal challenges on this one. The U.S. allows asylum to those on American soil.
Liberal justiced are throwing up their hands begging to get this case so they can rule on their feelings and not our Constitution, which gives the executive branch power over immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or