U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM

30,217 posts, read 16,727,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How much of your time do you give him?

C'mon - the networks are profiting off of him as well.

They absolutely are. It's a symbiotic relationship made in hell with Trump blasting them as the "Enemy of the People" as they give him the attention he SO craves.

On the other side - they condemn his actions and words while profiting from him being in office.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,381 posts, read 14,116,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The press gave him billions of dollars of free coverage and publicity when he was running and they are culpable again. Trump does this in order to monopolize the news cycle on a daily basis just to garner attention and take the focus off of really important issues and his incompetence, corruption and scandals. Trump does not care what he says or does because he really stands for nothing. He does what he does because his dumbed-down reality TV show gave him his training and this grifter will do and say anything to stay relevant and enrich himself.

What if no one shows up for his snake oil smoke and mirrors show and no one dedicates even one post to him. No one should even respond to Twitler's twitter feed. He would curl up in a fat orange ball and croak.
and candidate hitlery got just as much...especially with the media constantly defending her

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

9,183 posts, read 2,826,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The press gave him billions of dollars of free coverage and publicity when he was running and they are culpable again. Trump does this in order to monopolize the news cycle on a daily basis just to garner attention and take the focus off of really important issues and his incompetence, corruption and scandals. Trump does not care what he says or does because he really stands for nothing. He does what he does because his dumbed-down reality TV show gave him his training and this grifter will do and say anything to stay relevant and enrich himself.

What if no one shows up for his snake oil smoke and mirrors show and no one dedicates even one post to him. No one should even respond to Twitler's twitter feed. He would curl up in a fat orange ball and croak.
I think the worst thing this the media did was cover his sorry ass. He should have just been ignored. Of course, it's too late now, but we all would have been so much better off not having to be subjected to his craziness. Plus, he would have imploded not having the beast fed.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM

35,445 posts, read 32,353,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
When the right stops obsessing over AOC.
Social Media? Who watches that crap. NBC CNN CBS.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,381 posts, read 14,116,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Billions of dollars worth of free coverage that played a large role in getting him elected; and yet he hates them and refers to them as the enemy of the people. Come to think of it, he has a point. Helping him get elected kind of proves that they are capable of being the enemy of the people. Thanks, press!
all POTUSes have had an up and down relationship with the press since the beginning

John Adams was so concerned about foreign influence (the French) on our press, he signed into law the 1798 Sedition Act, which made publishing anything critical of the government illegal.

Jefferson criticized what he perceived as the partisan nature of the media (a fair criticism at a time when newspapers printed stories with overt bias and published personal attacks on politicians). Jefferson wrote to a newspaper editor in 1807, “Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper.

Ulysses S. Grant had the press in mind when he concluded his second inaugural address. Grant said, “Throughout the war, and from my candidacy for my present office in 1868 to the close of the last presidential campaign, I have been the subject of abuse and slander scarcely ever equaled in political history.”

Theodore Roosevelt. He despised the press and called them a bunch of muckrakers for their sensationalism and false reporting. “The liars,” Roosevelt said of the media, “is no whit better than the thief, and if his mendacity take the form of slander he may be worse than most thieves.”

few people remember is that during World War I, Wilson curtailed the freedom of the press “through a dual strategy of censorship and propaganda.” According to History, Wilson wanted “authority to exercise censorship over the Press to the extent that that censorship. . . is absolutely necessary to the public safety.”

FDR..enjoyed an extended honeymoon with the press his first year as president. Yet, FDR’s legendary charm began wearing thin in 1934. By 1935, things were sliding into open warfare. He repeatedly griped about what he called “poisonous propaganda.” In the president’s mind, any reporter who wasn’t strongly for him was against him. Asking tough questions about his New Deal programs amounted to treason. Roosevelt took those questions as personal attacks and nurtured bitter grudges.
By the time he ran for re-election in 1936, he complained that 85 percent of the press was against him

Barack Obama’s lies and propaganda and attacks on conservative media. Obama made plenty of attacks on the press. “Under his administration, the U.S. government has set a new record for withholdingFreedom of Information Act requests,” which give the press an essential view into the workings of the executive branch. He declared war on leaks even while paying lip service to the protection of whistleblowers. Plus, he held infrequent news conferences, much to the dismay of the media.

Kennedy was friendly to some members of the press, but hostile to others. While his presidency began as a love affair with the press (or rather the press with him), that degenerated over time. This was especially true during the crisis with Cuba in 1961 and 1962. To the dismay of journalists, even friendly ones, Kennedy shut off access to foreign policy information.

Dwight Eisenhower was quite turbulent with the press. He restricted media access and caused many to believe the country was facing a crisis of liberty, and that government secrecy was growing.

Another president who also had his entanglements with the press is, of course, Richard Nixon, who called the press “the elites” and threatened to fire his press secretary if he didn’t keep media out of the White House. “I want it clearly understood from now on, ever no reporter from the Washington Post is ever to be in the White House. Is that clear?” Nixon said.

the press despised Lyndon B. Johnson. Members of the media accused Johnson of lying and of lacking credibility. Historians say that by 1967, many members of the White House press corps — and of the American media in general — had grown tired of Johnson’s efforts to manipulate and punish them.

sorry but this goes way back before Trump's grandfather was even born

so endeth the lesson

Old 07-16-2019, 11:21 AM

26,369 posts, read 24,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
If the left ever stop obsessing about Trump they would resort to branding each other racist. Sort of like they already started doing. Everything is RACIST!
Not everyone on the left is like this, however, after the way I've seen Movie Actors talk, that worthless show with all those women "The View" and now these women regurgitating horrible things about Trump and expect him not to respond? It's perfectly fine when they do it, they can say anything, and act so totally off the wall, but the moment someone disagrees with them, they are a racist.

This is not the democratic party that I grew up with...there is so much hate, and they have been spewing it now for years, even while Obama was President....and when they started on cops, that's when I decided I would never ever again vote for a dem....

they make every excuse they can for breaking the law, and this all came from allowing illegals into our country. you start breaking laws, and little by little the country becomes corrupt. and it is happening...and has been happening for many years now....

People have grown fat, lazy and stupid...we should be much further along intellectually...but instead we have progressed as a society. Look at the homelessness in California....look at all the hospitals that were forced to shut down out there, b/c illegals over the years went to hospitals for treatment and then refused to pay their bills.....

You're allowing primitive people who are coming in from 3rd world countries, who have had to steal from people to survive, who have murdered, raped....and yes, not all of them are like this, but when you open the flood gates this is what happens....

so who are the ones suffering, our own children and vets....they don't divide the illegal children in school, they put them in the same classes as our kids, and they don't understand English, so who suffers? Our kids....

And what is so pathetic is the fact that democrats can't understand this....why? B/c they themselves break our own rules and laws....and feel it's ok to do so.

When your leaders are corrupt, so will your people be....and yet, they are so ignorant, they can't grasp this concept that laws are there to protect and serve.....

Now I'm going to say this one more time, NOT ALL DEMS ARE LIKE THIS, AT LEAST NOT THE ONES I GREW UP WITH.....MANY I KNOW ARE CHANGING THEIR PARTY AFFILIATION....THEY DON'T WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THESE VILE EXTREMISTS... Please stop talking as if every dem is like this, they are not....

it's really really sad....they are not only allowing the media to think for them, but buying the crap that these politicians are spewing....and one day, they will own this country....just as they have threatened to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or