Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:49 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

This is about the experiences some blacks have had when trying to enter the legal cannabis business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
They said 80% owned by white men, they did not separate white women. The white population is nearly 77%.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
So you’re saying more blacks are illegal drug dealers so they should be in the legal business now? Well that’s racist

Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
The way many state marijuana law are written and the networks of those already involved in the industry is set up, it is very hard to get into that business. Mostly due to the network of those working/engaged in the industry is primarily white men as was noted also the costs associated with permits and licenses and some states require a pharmacist to be on staff (most pharmacists make about $100k per year).

I was interested in getting into the cannabis industry as well (I'm a black woman) but after researching, decided instead to invest in marijuana associated stocks, both foreign and domestic. My investments in the industry are doing very well.

My older sibling wants to get into the business but is seeing that it is difficult because of the start up costs even though they want a small outfit to sell particular strands. I remember in OH initially they wanted us to pass a law where the growing sites were already specified and no one else would be able to get into the growing business. My sibling wants to be grower now and they are doing a lot of research on OH and MI and consulting lawyers because of the unclear laws.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They said 80% owned by white men, they did not separate white women. The white population is nearly 77%.
On this - not sure what the eye roll is about. White men, not women, dominate the marijuana industry. Oftentimes they do because they have more connections.

I'll note I know some white men and women who'd be considered "economically disadvantaged" as well who would like to get into the cannabis industry but cannot due to the issues cited in this piece and what I stated above.

I personally think there should be less barriers for getting into the business for all Americans. Often those who are in it were already millionaires or children of millionaires and some even are associated with politicians who passed the laws.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
It all comes down to money. In my state, Massachusetts pot is legal. It was voted in a few years back and to date we have 2-3 shops with applications pending on many more. The process is long and expensive plus there are often push back and lawsuits to contend with.

It all comes down to who you are, who you know and who you can pay off to be on your side. Once the business gets rolling it is going to be a huge money maker.

I doubt the trouble black people are having has anything to do with the colour of their skin but more about their connections to rich people and politicians but if they want to pull out the race card then oh well.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It all comes down to money. In my state, Massachusetts pot is legal. It was voted in a few years back and to date we have 2-3 shops with applications pending on many more. The process is long and expensive plus there are often push back and lawsuits to contend with.

It all comes down to who you are, who you know and who you can pay off to be on your side. Once the business gets rolling it is going to be a huge money maker.

I doubt the trouble black people are having has anything to do with the colour of their skin but more about their connections to rich people and politicians but if they want to pull out the race card then oh well.
I agree with this, but don't agree with there being a such thing as a race card.

IMO it does have more to do with money and network versus anything else. I think they wanted to take a look at it from a racial perspective, but honestly, I didn't like the piece as I feel it was trying to do too much in regards to also bringing up the issues in the past with sentencing for marijuana offenders.

I do think the laws more negatively impacted black people and that that was due in part to race specifically, but as you noted the marijuana industry is not specific to race, it is specific to wealth, access, and network. So one is about race but the supposedly main subject really isn't IMO.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this, but don't agree with there being a such thing as a race card.

We all know what the race card is. When a person of colour does not get their way or what they expected it suddenly becomes an issue of race.

It is all around us.

I didn't get an "A" in the class because my teacher is a racist that hates black people.. No chances are your work didn't warrant an "A".

I was profiled by the cops because I'm black. No you were out cruising around in your car at 2am pulling circles through areas that are known for drug activity and other crimes.

I was passed over for a pot shop because they are racist. No you lacked the funds and the connections to get the permits for a shop.

The race card. It is used when all else fails and when someone doesn't want to take responsibilities for their actions.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:44 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So you’re saying more blacks are illegal drug dealers so they should be in the legal business now? Well that’s racist
No the problem is states did not allow for competition or for small businesses to get into the industry. Here in Florida they reduced the number of eligible growers at the start to 2. Two companies that would grow, process, and sell. They control the entire thing from grow to sell. This has started to change some but it’s still a major problem for two big reasons:

1. Artificial inflation of prices well beyond what they would be in a open market. In Florida it cost a medical marijuana patient $60-70 for a 600mg vile of marijuana for vaping. That price in a more open state like Washington $20-30. So everyone from the kid with epilepsy to grandma with arthritic pain gets taken to the cleaners for no good reason. Remember insurance does not cover marijuana as t is still federally illegal.

2. No competition leads to little innovation, poor product offerings, poor customer service, and makes the illegal street method a better option for many due to the decreased cost. They already can legally get it so in the minds of many it’s now “wrong” but not criminal.

To me it’s like any business in America, should be subject to the free market and open for competition. There is little reason to make the barrier to entry so high. Otherwise it will continue to be the mess it is right now.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
No the problem is states did not allow for competition or for small businesses to get into the industry. Here in Florida they reduced the number of eligible growers at the start to 2. Two companies that would grow, process, and sell. They control the entire thing from grow to sell. This has started to change some but it’s still a major problem for two big reasons:

1. Artificial inflation of prices well beyond what they would be in a open market. In Florida it cost a medical marijuana patient $60-70 for a 600mg vile of marijuana for vaping. That price in a more open state like Washington $20-30. So everyone from the kid with epilepsy to grandma with arthritic pain gets taken to the cleaners for no good reason. Remember insurance does not cover marijuana as t is still federally illegal.

2. No competition leads to little innovation, poor product offerings, poor customer service, and makes the illegal street method a better option for many due to the decreased cost. They already can legally get it so in the minds of many it’s now “wrong” but not criminal.

To me it’s like any business in America, should be subject to the free market and open for competition. There is little reason to make the barrier to entry so high. Otherwise it will continue to be the mess it is right now.
I bet law enforcement had something to do with all those crazy regulations and restrictions too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies