U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 PM
 
7,324 posts, read 4,242,029 times
Reputation: 9701

Advertisements

I am very puzzled by it myself. As a kid growing up in the 80s I got exposure to BASIC in elementary school. PASCAL in middle school. Then C and basic web development in high school.

And now that our lives are surrounded by and dependent upon tech we're not raising kids with interest in coding. How the hell did that happen?

 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 PM
 
1,453 posts, read 608,906 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
“And the reason tech giants love Indian-born workers? They tend to work for far less than American workers.”

As someone who works in tech in Silicon Valley, I’m telling you that this statement is not correct. People from india are offered just as much as US citizens. Moreover, the US has such a shortage of engineers that without Indians and Asians coming over, the US would not currently be to top country for tech development.
Exactly. People pretend like Silicon Valley is like anywhere else in the US (with the exception of other tech hubs). These people in these tech companies are making good $$ just like Americans. Not to mention that it's due to the shortage of top talent.

This is a far cry from the consulting companies that bring in thousands of low quality tech workers to work on Microsoft SQL Server and the alike as consultants. There's serious visa abuse there. But people like the OP don't understand the difference.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 PM
509
 
3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Where are these millions of coders without jobs? We desperately need them right now. And no, just having a computer science degree does not make someone a coder.
Why not??

I didn’t have a computer science degree and my employer said....learn to code if you want to work here.

Granted I was an awful coder, though my employer never found that out....thanks god, for the previous programmers comment cards!!

Look coding is a pretty simple skill...you can teach it to English majors. In fact, English majors make great coders. It is a skill more related to how your brain is wired than education.

We could train millions of coders quickly and easily in this country. It is just that CORPORATE TECH IS EVIL and lazy....they don’t care about this country.....they just want cheap labor.

As somebody with a background in economics...I understand that, but there is more to life than economics. Morals, values, and a ecological education are lacking in CORPORATE TECH.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,188 posts, read 2,612,210 times
Reputation: 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
What a disgrace! Both parties are guilty of selling out Americans.

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-b...xposes-silicon
They like Indian workers (and Chinese) because they get to pick the cream of the crop and China and India value education and have well educated workers for us to pick off. This is why I don't get those who rant about "elitist" education, and then complain that America has left them behind.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM
 
Location: CA
4,344 posts, read 1,874,973 times
Reputation: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Plenty of Americans without CS degrees can code as well. Just because you're a loser in India if you don't study engineering doesn't mean we should import them. Many of them are terrible engineers.
Right now, tech companies are hiring the best engineers they can get their hands on, regardless of what country they came from. We're offering salaries of more than $100k for new graduates and $150k - $200k for senior (2-5 years experience) engineers. Even then, my group is lucky to see one resume per week (serious resumes that is).

If you think the Indian engineers are terrible, it only means the American offerings were even worse.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 PM
 
2,823 posts, read 1,158,056 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Why not??

I didn’t have a computer science degree and my employer said....learn to code if you want to work here.

Granted I was an awful coder, though my employer never found that out....thanks god, for the previous programmers comment cards!!

Look coding is a pretty simple skill...you can teach it to English majors. In fact, English majors make great coders. It is a skill more related to how your brain is wired than education.

We could train millions of coders quickly and easily in this country. It is just that CORPORATE TECH IS EVIL and lazy....they don’t care about this country.....they just want cheap labor.

As somebody with a background in economics...I understand that, but there is more to life than economics. Morals, values, and a ecological education are lacking in CORPORATE TECH.
That's not that case whatsoever. There's a stereotype that Chinese or Indian software engineers are bad at their jobs, that's not true. The US should be fighting for the best engineers from overseas, and encouraging more kids to go into STEM.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 PM
 
Location: CA
4,344 posts, read 1,874,973 times
Reputation: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Why not??

I didn’t have a computer science degree and my employer said....learn to code if you want to work here.
You just answered your own question.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 PM
509
 
3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Right now, tech companies are hiring the best engineers they can get their hands on, regardless of what country they came from. We're offering salaries of more than $100k for new graduates and $150k - $200k for senior (2-5 years experience) engineers. Even then, my group is lucky to see one resume per week (serious resumes that is).

If you think the Indian engineers are terrible, it only means the American offerings were even worse.
Do you think that maybe the tech companies would be willing to pay TAXES to support University and junior college education opportunities in the US??

Coding is a low skill occupation...you can teach it in high school or a community college.

WHY are tech companies so adverse to paying taxes to support education in this country?? Oh wait....yes there are totalitarian governments that can FORCE their workers to work for the CORPORATE TECH companies under the barrel of a gun......why invest in America??
 
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 PM
 
Location: CA
4,344 posts, read 1,874,973 times
Reputation: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Do you think that maybe the tech companies would be willing to pay TAXES to support University and junior college education opportunities in the US??
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Coding is a low skill occupation...you can teach it in high school or a community college.
You couldn't be more wrong. There's a reason why top coders get paid several hundred thousand dollars per year. I even know of a small handful of coders making over a million per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
WHY are tech companies so adverse to paying taxes to support education in this country?? Oh wait....yes there are totalitarian governments that can FORCE their workers to work for the CORPORATE TECH companies under the barrel of a gun......why invest in America??
Because most people in this country get fluff degrees. So it would just be a huge waste of money for the tech giants.
 
Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 PM
509
 
3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You just answered your own question.
That was 1972.

The company needed to solve a problem RIGHT NOW... I needed to learn how to code. Fair enough.

Look....coding is a binary operation. By definition, a binary choice is well suited to low skill workers. It is what they do BEST.

As I mentioned teaching coding to high school students is fairly easy. Given the right temperament they make excellent coders.....why are we IMPORTING people from India for jobs that HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS could easily do.

OK...at the higher levels...you need a broader education. But most coders are working as technicians.

My employer had a crises....I had to learn coding to solve a “short-term” problem. BUT my job was dependent on JUDGEMENT, not binary operations. That was the reason I got hired....I just had to learn coding to do a “MINOR” part of my job.

Americans can code. English majors can learn to code.....what more proof do you need that it is a low tech skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top