U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 PM

5,541 posts, read 2,352,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Right now, tech companies are hiring the best engineers they can get their hands on, regardless of what country they came from. We're offering salaries of more than $100k for new graduates and $150k - $200k for senior (2-5 years experience) engineers. Even then, my group is lucky to see one resume per week (serious resumes that is).

If you think the Indian engineers are terrible, it only means the American offerings were even worse.
That is not good pay in California.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 PM

1,453 posts, read 608,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Coding is a low skill occupation...you can teach it in high school or a community college.
I think this is a great demonstration of how far you and others are removed from the industry. Sure, coding is a low skill occupation like typing... but you're not working on silicon valley just writing basic scripts. You're building complex software.

Those are are low skilled coders are messing around with business software like MS SQL Server.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM

20,320 posts, read 12,172,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I am very puzzled by it myself. As a kid growing up in the 80s I got exposure to BASIC in elementary school. PASCAL in middle school. Then C and basic web development in high school.

And now that our lives are surrounded by and dependent upon tech we're not raising kids with interest in coding. How the hell did that happen?
There were a few pilot elementary schools in Orlando doing that. But it’s also a culture- intelligent kids who dibble in the sciences are looked as geeks. We push football more than coding etc. We should be investing in kids education at an early age, we need to improve our edu systems.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 PM

5,541 posts, read 2,352,696 times
It's amazing how all the liberals in tech consistently attack people instead of arguments. I am the best coder in this thread even though I'm not going to brag about it.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 PM

22,616 posts, read 11,646,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Why not??

I didn’t have a computer science degree and my employer said....learn to code if you want to work here.

Granted I was an awful coder, though my employer never found that out....thanks god, for the previous programmers comment cards!!

Look coding is a pretty simple skill...you can teach it to English majors. In fact, English majors make great coders. It is a skill more related to how your brain is wired than education.

We could train millions of coders quickly and easily in this country. It is just that CORPORATE TECH IS EVIL and lazy....they don’t care about this country.....they just want cheap labor.

As somebody with a background in economics...I understand that, but there is more to life than economics. Morals, values, and a ecological education are lacking in CORPORATE TECH.
Pretty simple skills usually don’t pay well.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM

50,838 posts, read 26,832,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
+1

I've been on the hiring side of things at several tech companies. Salary wasn't any different for someone here on a visa. A truly outsourced position working for a 3rd party company in India is cheaper, sure. But we preferred citizens over visa workers because the whole visa sponsorship thing can be a real headache.

There are not enough people in the domestic workforce interested in Computer Science. Not that I'm complaining, keeps my salary high.
Yeah, right.

We’re all supposed to believe that American companies don’t take advantage of cheap labor? You’re really trying to sell that with a straight face?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 608,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's amazing how all the liberals in tech consistently attack people instead of arguments. I am the best coder in this thread even though I'm not going to brag about it.
yeah, sure. You liberals sure like to brag without bragging about it...

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 PM

2,151 posts, read 781,653 times
Disgusting bill. What an atrocity. They need to be FORCED to hire American workers, paying American wages. They want the Indians because the Indians are willing to work for FAR less than Americans. This has nothing to do with hating immigrants, Indians are actually a pretty conservative demo, this has to do with wages. Fitting that this will likely be Kamala Harris’s first sponsored bill that passes. A pro-big business, wage suppression bill.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Ok...lets try this....

A hundred years ago to get a good job all you needed to know was the ability to read and write and do basic math.

EVERY science major today is required to learn how to code. It is a basic skill set like reading, writing and basic math.

So in the 21st century to be a basic literate person you need to understand coding.

THAT is totally different than most coding jobs which as mentioned before are “binary”...there is a right or wrong..period.

Perfect jobs for anal folks, like English majors and high school students.

Coding is currently at the end of a short boom. AI will be the end of coding as a “mass employment” field. Years ago, we had booms in various sectors of the economy with people building buggy whips, later automobiles, and today....software programs. This to shall pass.

PS...the future is biology.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,242,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, right.

We’re all supposed to believe that American companies don’t take advantage of cheap labor? You’re really trying to sell that with a straight face?
The truly outsourced jobs are taking advantage of the cheaper labor in India absolutely.

But the visas that are employed and live here? Salaries are pretty equitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies