U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,242,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Ask anyone in the industry the “highly skilled” Indians being brought here on these visas aren’t qualified, they are using fraudulent degrees, overstating their skills. They are being brought here for one reason because they are willing to work for peanuts. Mostly because they see it as a pathway to getting a green card/citizenship.
Oh that's definitely a problem. Lots of resume fluff and outright lies. That's why you'll be completing a test as part of the interview process.

But for a good fit someone here on a visa isn't getting paid any less.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 1,874,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
There's a bunch of algorithms any dummy can implement in scikit or some already made library. It's not hard and if you look at the google search results these days, they aren't very good algorithms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's amazing how all the liberals in tech consistently attack people instead of arguments. I am the best coder in this thread even though I'm not going to brag about it.
I think the issue is the leftist bias, not the algorithms themselves.

Look, I respect you, and you know I'm not just some tech-defending liberal. But my experiences in this area greatly differ from what you've presented in your original post. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 PM

21,625 posts, read 11,660,037 times
Now you understand globalization.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 PM

1,453 posts, read 608,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Do you think that maybe the tech companies would be willing to pay TAXES to support University and junior college education opportunities in the US??
They already do beyond taxes. Especially Google, Facebook, and Microsoft.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 PM

2,155 posts, read 781,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Oh that's definitely a problem. Lots of resume fluff and outright lies. That's why you'll be completing a test as part of the interview process.

But for a good fit someone here on a visa isn't getting paid any less.
You will never get significant wage growth with an endless supply of foreign workers. With 3% unemployment these companies biggest concern should be finding labor. They should be hiring and TRAINING or paying for schooling for American workers to code, develop, etc. just like what is happening in the trucking industry. My cousin just got hired by Pet smart to be a dog groomer making $17 an hour, she has no grooming experience at all, they are sending her away to their own grooming training school. That’s what should be happening in the tech industry.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
They already do beyond taxes. Especially Google, Facebook, and Microsoft.
Boeing, Amazon, Microsoft pay ZERO in Washington state taxes.......

IF you not willing to support the community that supports you......be very afraid when the push back comes.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Boeing, Amazon, Microsoft pay ZERO in Washington state taxes.......

IF you not willing to support the community that supports you......be very afraid when the push back comes.
I said beyond taxes. Microsoft funds coding bootcamps and magnet tech schools. We should push to educate as many people as we can, but not everyone has what it takes.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,242,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
You will never get significant wage growth with an endless supply of foreign workers. With 3% unemployment these companies biggest concern should be finding labor. They should be hiring and TRAINING or paying for schooling for American workers to code, develop, etc. just like what is happening in the trucking industry. My cousin just got hired by Pet smart to be a dog groomer making $17 an hour, she has no grooming experience at all, they are sending her away to their own grooming training school. That’s what should be happening in the tech industry.
We have things like tuition reimbursement. My own college was paid for by my entry level job in tech's tuition reimbursement. All sorts of STEM outreach to schools. I even hear ads on the radio regularly advertising coding schools. We're trying. There's a cultural lack of interest.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,103,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I said beyond taxes. Microsoft funds coding bootcamps and magnet tech schools. We should push to educate as many people as we can, but not everyone has what it takes.
So why do the CORPORATE TECH COMPANIES refuse to pay taxes in the communities they have business operations??

Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
So why do the CORPORATE TECH COMPANIES refuse to pay taxes in the communities they have business operations??
Focusing on SI here, they absolutely to pay taxes in their community. Not sure why you think they don't...

I just find it strange that, you, someone who is pro-outsourcing does a full 180 on taxes here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies