U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM

896 posts, read 189,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are plenty of Americans who are skilled on MS SQL Server (and other RDBMSs as well).

I haven't met an H1B yet who could out-code me, out-troubleshoot me, or out-administrate me on any database platform.
Yeah but you cost more than an H1B and that's the bottom line.

I worked in tech and used to shake my head when work came back from India/China and we had to redo it because they took a "creative path" over the design docs.

I got another big chunk of code to redo that was full of "go to" statements. It was obvious the programmer didn't know about conditionals

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,242,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yeah but you cost more than an H1B and that's the bottom line.

I worked in tech and used to shake my head when work came back from India/China and we had to redo it because they took a "creative path" over the design docs.

I got another big chunk of code to redo that was full of "go to" statements. It was obvious the programmer didn't know about conditionals
Yes that's a common problem with offshore work. Totally disconnected from the agile process due to time zone differences and things get off track quickly.

But I've not experienced that at all with visas that physically come here.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM

968 posts, read 577,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are plenty of Americans who are skilled on MS SQL Server (and other RDBMSs as well).

I haven't met an H1B yet who could out-code me, out-troubleshoot me, or out-administrate me on any database platform.
Well, I think that was the point. We don't need Indians for MS SQL Server... It's low skilled enough that there's plenty of Americans that can do the job. But, like mowing lawns and laying concrete (as another person put it), do Americans actually want these low end jobs?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yes that's a common problem with offshore work. Totally disconnected from the agile process due to time zone differences and things get off track quickly.

But I've not experienced that at all with visas that physically come here.
I've never had issues with offshore work and the agile process. It works just fine.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM

30,500 posts, read 20,155,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
“And the reason tech giants love Indian-born workers? They tend to work for far less than American workers.”

As someone who works in tech in Silicon Valley, I’m telling you that this statement is not correct. People from india are offered just as much as US citizens. Moreover, the US has such a shortage of engineers that without Indians and Asians coming over, the US would not currently be to top country for tech development.

Pssst!

Americans would be offered more if the Indian workers weren't available.

See how that works?

Want more American engineers?

Make it worthwhile ($$$) for US-born students to take the really hard classes.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Pssst!

Americans would be offered more if the Indian workers weren't available.

See how that works?

Want more American engineers?

Make it worthwhile ($$$) for US-born students to take the really hard classes.
Not everyone is capable of becoming a silicon valley quality engineer. That's why we already hire the competent ones at our major tech companies, pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then hire the cream of the crop from other countries... and still pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Paying a million+ salary to a mediocre engineer is not good for anyone.

It's not rocket science.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,898,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Not everyone is capable of becoming a silicon valley quality engineer. That's why we already hire the competent ones at our major tech companies, pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then hire the cream of the crop from other countries... and still pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Paying a million+ salary to a mediocre engineer is not good for anyone.

It's not rocket science.

Where did that poster or anyone else on this thread say that "everyone is capable of becoming ... an engineer". The point is that QUALIFIED American Engineers are being replaced by foreign engineers who are paid less than the Americans they replace were paid. This has discouraged some able American students from majoring in engineering.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 608,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Where did that poster or anyone else on this thread say that "everyone is capable of becoming ... an engineer". The point is that QUALIFIED American Engineers are being replaced by foreign engineers who are paid less than the Americans they replace were paid. This has discouraged some able American students from majoring in engineering.
Not in silicon valley. And as has been brought up, the jobs where cheap staff is brought in is for low skilled work. That abuse at the low level needs to be shut down. But that's different than the highly skilled engineers in our tech hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies