U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who is more tolerant of opposing views?
The Left 47 21.27%
The Right 174 78.73%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Near Falls Lake
2,894 posts, read 1,987,207 times
Reputation: 2726

Advertisements

I've never seen evidence that either side is all that tolerant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
35,913 posts, read 19,803,949 times
Reputation: 21473
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Lindsey Graham is my boy.
No kiddin'...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 06:40 AM
 
7,712 posts, read 1,758,649 times
Reputation: 18631
The left is more tolerant of differences (from the norm), but the right is more tolerant of those who disagree with them. (Usually, that is -- there are a few far-right posters who infuriate me just as much as many far-left posters do.)

However, I also think that there are many non-whites in the U.S. today who come close to outdoing the racism of many white bigots of the 17th to 20th centuries. (At least I haven't heard of any non-whites lynching any whites in the U.S. yet.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 AM
 
2,250 posts, read 467,782 times
Reputation: 2049
The results of the poll are accurate.


Liberals are the most intolerant people on earth. It didn't use to be that way, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,500 posts, read 14,093,547 times
Reputation: 5307
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Which side is more tolerant of different point of views?
I did not see Republican voters rioting in the streets when Obama defeated McCain in 2008, or Romney in 2012.

I do not see cable or broadcast news hosts on "the right," banning anyone from appearing on their show, if they hold a different opinion on climate change.

I do not see college students on "the right" banning, and even getting violent and attacking leftists who are invited to speak at their university or college campuses.

I did not see Trump voters running around in mobs numbering into the dozens or hundreds, and running around beating the hell out of Hilary voters.

I did see Democrats and the left doing all of the above though. It's obvious that the too many of "the left" in this country are not only intolerant, but violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Grove City, Ohio
10,231 posts, read 12,601,426 times
Reputation: 14451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Left. We actually care about everyone and their views.
Exactly why I can walk down any street in Berkeley wearing a red MAGA hat and not have to worry about being assaulted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,664 posts, read 4,371,494 times
Reputation: 7860
Political extremists of all persuasions don't let tolerance get in the way of their ideology.

The Hard Left and Far Right are equally as bad as each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,302 posts, read 1,015,707 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly why I can walk down any street in Berkeley wearing a red MAGA hat and not have to worry about being assaulted!
Could my partner and I, (we’re gay) walk down a street in a small midwestern town holding hands and not have to worry about being assaulted? It’s not the Libs that hate us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM
 
11,091 posts, read 6,555,717 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Could my partner and I, (we’re gay) walk down a street in a small midwestern town holding hands and not have to worry about being assaulted? It’s not the Libs that hate us!

Absolutely. I have a cottage in a small rural northern MI town and the local cigar lounge is owned by a gay couple. Their business is thriving, so well in fact they are opening up a clothing store. They are great guys and I make it a point to visit their establishment and spend money there. Oddly enough, they are Conservatives. Another couple just opened up a coffee house. I haven't had a chance to meet them yet, but plan on it the next time I go up there.


Now, I will say , it all depends on the type (for lack of a better work) person. Last month in Detroit there was a pride parade and some of the individuals made spectacles of themselves. One guy had a skin tight suit with dildos (at least 10-15 ) sticking out of it. A couple of others had BDSM outfits on and were simulating sex while walking in the parade. If one was like that, sure, you will have some issues.
Act like the millions of other couples across the nation and you well be well received , make a spectacle of oneself and you're asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,302 posts, read 1,015,707 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Absolutely. I have a cottage in a small rural northern MI town and the local cigar lounge is owned by a gay couple. Their business is thriving, so well in fact they are opening up a clothing store. They are great guys and I make it a point to visit their establishment and spend money there. Oddly enough, they are Conservatives. Another couple just opened up a coffee house. I haven't had a chance to meet them yet, but plan on it the next time I go up there.


Now, I will say , it all depends on the type (for lack of a better work) person. Last month in Detroit there was a pride parade and some of the individuals made spectacles of themselves. One guy had a skin tight suit with dildos (at least 10-15 ) sticking out of it. A couple of others had BDSM outfits on and were simulating sex while walking in the parade. If one was like that, sure, you will have some issues.
Act like the millions of other couples across the nation and you well be well received , make a spectacle of oneself and you're asking for trouble.
Well, we’re not the “skin tight suit with dildos” wearing type, in fact we’re very private people and most would just assume that we were straight college friends, but sometimes we’ll hold hands or have a quick kiss (not make out), but some people in the Midwest and especially the South don’t want us to even exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top