U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more tolerant of opposing views?
The Left 47 21.27%
The Right 174 78.73%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM

22,097 posts, read 10,611,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Could my partner and I, (we’re gay) walk down a street in a small midwestern town holding hands and not have to worry about being assaulted? It’s not the Libs that hate us!
Your attitude about the midwest is so 1957. One of my gay buddies moved back here from Germany and he took a sales job requiring him to visit customers in towns of all sizes. He's open about his partner when they get to small talk and nobody bats an eye. In fact, when he complains about having to move back here because they no longer felt safe in Germany, several people have told him they should check out their town to move to because it's a great place to live. This has happened in MI, WI, IL, and IN.

It's 2019. Few people care who is sleeping with whom. How do you think Pete Buttigieg was elected in South Bend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM

20,500 posts, read 14,093,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly why I can walk down any street in Berkeley wearing a red MAGA hat and not have to worry about being assaulted!

I sense a bit of sarcasm in that post.

We all know you would not be safe. The Democrats are not accepting of anyone who is not like them, and they will resort to violence at the drop of a hat.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your attitude about the midwest is so 1957. One of my gay buddies moved back here from Germany and he took a sales job requiring him to visit customers in towns of all sizes. He's open about his partner when they get to small talk and nobody bats an eye. In fact, when he complains about having to move back here because they no longer felt safe in Germany, several people have told him they should check out their town to move to because it's a great place to live. This has happened in MI, WI, IL, and IN.

It's 2019. Few people care who is sleeping with whom. How do you think Pete Buttigieg was elected in South Bend?

You have just exploded the stereotypes of just about every democrat here. Not to worry, they will hit the delete button on what you just said, and go back to their tightly held stereotypes again.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM

22,097 posts, read 10,611,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You have just exploded the stereotypes of just about every democrat here. Not to worry, they will hit the delete button on what you just said, and go back to their tightly held stereotypes again.
I'm a Democrat.

I also live in the midwest.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:34 AM

14,533 posts, read 11,894,614 times
Quote:
Well, we’re not the “skin tight suit with dildos” wearing type, in fact we’re very private people and most would just assume that we were straight college friends, but sometimes we’ll hold hands or have a quick kiss (not make out), but some people in the Midwest and especially the South don’t want us to even exist!

In the small town in the area here I am from gay couple frequently and freely "express" themselves with PDAs. Holding hand and kissing and such. They don't get harassed or derided. And this is a very conservative place. A farming and ranching community.

The way folks see things is that maybe we don't like seeing these things but we don't have to watch. We just ain't minding nobody's business but our own. So long as things don't get "in your face" no biggy.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I am not fond of the word "tolerant."

Nobody should be asked to be tolerant of racism, sexism, serial killers, pedophiles, etc.

Nobody should be asked to be tolerant of cruelty and hateful people.

Being tolerant of someone's view that Apple is superior to Android or that suburbs are better than cities? That sort of thing?

Sure.

Being tolerant of another person's religion as long as that religion (the actual religion) isn't harming anyone? Of course. That is baked right into the Constitution.

But, being tolerant of people treating me poorly? Not gonna happen.

I wish their was a "Neither" option for this poll.

Tolerance has very little to do with political affiliation.

Agreed. except that some people automatically make assumptions about anyone who is a Republican, whether they know the person or not. If they learn that the person is a Republican or a "conservative," they attach all the worst stereotypes to them. Suddenly that person is an evil racist, sexist, homophobe, etc...

This way they can justify not being tolerant of that person wearing the MAGA hat, because they are now assumed to be evil personified.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM

4,302 posts, read 1,015,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm a Democrat.

I also live in the midwest.
I’m sorry MPowering, I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else in the Midwest, I just think about a friend who was hospitalized after being beaten when coming out of a gay bar in Kansas. I realize that can happen anywhere though, even in liberal California.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM

7,341 posts, read 3,961,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The results of the poll are accurate.

Liberals are the most intolerant people on earth. It didn't use to be that way, either.

The result of the poll are a refection of how deeply right wing this forum is (as we all know).

Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM

11,091 posts, read 6,555,717 times
Quote:
Well, we’re not the “skin tight suit with dildos” wearing type, in fact we’re very private people and most would just assume that we were straight college friends, but sometimes we’ll hold hands or have a quick kiss (not make out), but some people in the Midwest and especially the South don’t want us to even exist!

You would be fine in our area, and you said "some"... well isn't that how life is ? Some people always don't like some others. The south is the south though, it's like a different world down there.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM

4,302 posts, read 1,015,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You would be fine in our area, and you said "some"... well isn't that how life is ? Some people always don't like some others. The south is the south though, it's like a different world down there.
Thanks, and that’s true. BTW, we’ve always been fascinated with Michigan, lakes everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or