U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more tolerant of opposing views?
The Left 47 21.27%
The Right 174 78.73%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 AM

1,015 posts, read 546,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not sure about the "inbred" that would be pure speculation. But there is no question that the other adjectives apply to a certain proportion of Trump's hard core far Right radical base. That extremist subsection is heavily represented here on C-D POC.

Most Trump supporters are nothing like the people that spread their poison here day after day, or the people that attend Trump rallies. The vast majority would be repulsed by the stuff that gets posted here.
Its why he's likely not winning next election unless the Democrats lay another egg.. These extremists are turning off the softer support that voted for him in 16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 AM

5,792 posts, read 8,565,400 times
A very liberal millenial and I had a conversation once that went like this - I think the discussion that preceeded this was about an acquaintance that was very pro-life.

Quote:
Me: You don't have to agree with their opinion - but you have to agree that they have a right to have a difference of opinion

Millenial: No I don't! If their opinion makes me feel unsafe I do not have to respect their right to have a different opinion.
And that right there is the difference between today's younger left and everyone else.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM

9,654 posts, read 4,436,860 times
The Right is only tolerant if you obey their Bible and conform to their social norms. If you donít they donít want anything to do with you. I lost a longtime conservative friend over not supporting Trump and several for being gay. You have right wing pastors calling for the execution of gay people and they get silence to even support from Republicans. And try having a conversation with a rightist on marijuana legalization. Try to convince them it isnít a gateway drug or something only for stoners and deadbeats.

Thereís intolerance on the left as well but the right currently has most of the power in this country.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:25 AM

13,470 posts, read 10,340,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Right is only tolerant if you obey their Bible and conform to their social norms.
At which point, what, exactly are they tolerating?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:26 AM

5,295 posts, read 1,924,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Its why he's likely not winning next election unless the Democrats lay another egg.. These extremists are turning off the softer support that voted for him in 16
True - not sure Trump is smart enough to sort out that he is chipping away at his base. Either that or he IS smart enough and cares more about his scorched earth rabble rousing than he does about winning in 2020.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,166,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
At some point the tables were turned and now the Right is the perpetual victim of everything possible, - the media, Dems, immigrants, gays, blacks, latinos, NATO, EU, UN, women, muslims etc. You name it, and the Right will claim to be their victims.

It is not the matter of who is more tolerant, when one side perpetually plays the victim card and screams intolerance it you just looks at them let alone try to talk to them.
Great post. I would add the perpetuation of lies and conspiracy theories coming out of St. Petersburg that Trump and his cronies retweet. Lying to win is not winning, just as playing the poor me everyone is against me card.

To be fair, the left have their wingnuts, but those wingnuts have a less nefarious agenda as a lying, conspiracy driven far right. Corruption is the new norm on the far right. Being nice to each other and not being able to express an opinion without being labeled is the mantra of the far left. Both are extreme, but one side is actually dangerous.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM

437 posts, read 162,136 times
I couldn't vote in this poll. Neither side is any more tolerant of opposing views than the other.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM

20,073 posts, read 12,627,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post

?????

No one can predict the future.

However, the dem candidates are quite poor from top to bottom. Not one is capable of generating any enthusiasm beyond massive federal give away promises that will never be implemented.

You are 180 degrees wrong. The dems moving further to the left alienates more and more normal dems and will help Trump in the election.

This election is shaping up to be a George McGovern type effort for the dems.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM

535 posts, read 81,208 times
The left used to. They have ceded the high ground on free speech absolutism to the right.

The right used to be the one about banning "dangerous ideas"... now the left is the ones responsible for speech policing, pushing PC, speech codes, de-platforming, etc.

A remarkable reversal in just 10 years.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM

13,470 posts, read 10,340,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
A very liberal millenial and I had a conversation once that went like this - I think the discussion that preceeded this was about an acquaintance that was very pro-life.

And that right there is the difference between today's younger left and everyone else.
Here's the thing. You can respect a person's RIGHT to HAVE the opinion, especially under the law. But you don't have to respect the opinion nor the person who holds it. Having a right to an opinion does not make it a good opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or