U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more tolerant of opposing views?
The Left 47 21.27%
The Right 174 78.73%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 10:05 AM

20,069 posts, read 12,616,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
A draw. I think there are two things going on. Both sides have people who are hypersensitive and are cocked and loaded to react to even the slightest thing. The religious right seems to have this in spades. Victimhood is the new American Way. Also, both sides have people who enjoy poking their thumb in the eye of anyone who has an opposite thought or who those who don't agree or support their perspective. These folks live for the chance to put others down - it gets them out of bed each day. On this forum, it appears that the right is less tolerant but I'm not sure that is reflective of reality since there are more vocal right-wing members.

Give me a break!

Look at the thread above about the two sisters being "triggered" by seeing a noose at Home Depot.

The left has become irritatingly hypersensitive to any perceived slight, such that state of super victimhood achieves elevated status in the club of liberalism.

This sense of being "offended" has achieved the point of absurdity- get along with your life and toughen up just a smidge. No body cares about how offended you are and think it makes you look like a fragile, idiotic twit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 AM

28,289 posts, read 19,708,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't know how people can say conservatives are better on free speech when they literally want to censor all art and entertainment to make sure it conforms to "family values" which basically means it must have been acceptable in 1955.
link please. you did say 'literally'.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 AM

20,007 posts, read 18,141,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
To be fair, the Left is MUCH more hell bent on changing things in America so by nature they need to be intolerant to a degree to point out things that need to be altered.
And the right is hell bent on pushing America back to the 50's and labeling anyone who doesn't bow down to their Dear Leader as anti-American.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM

12,153 posts, read 8,567,736 times
I was listening to NPR this morning that is National Public Radio that our tax paying dollars help to fund and there were 3 people on the show talking about Trumps recent so called racist rant. One guest and the Host of the show were adamant that Trump is a racist. The other guest tried to offer a different viewpoint and he was constantly shot down. They took a few phone calls and those that tried to offer a pro Trump angle where treated with disdain.

The show tried to offer both perspectives but there was no budging them from pounding home that Trump is a racist.

There was no tolerance to be found from the Left.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

12,153 posts, read 8,567,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And the right is hell bent on pushing America back to the 50's and labeling anyone who doesn't bow down to their Dear Leader as anti-American.

...AND the Left is hell bent on pushing America back to before 1850's and labeling anyone who doesn't agree as a Racist.

A link about when Mexico owned part of the US.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo Was Signed In Mexico City

Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM

14,143 posts, read 7,710,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to what? What what I have observed many poorer church goers donate their time to serve at food pantries etc rather than the money they do not have, while those with money prefer to donate their money. This makes sense, and works well. Also, the catholic church, which is considered liberal as whole, is quite involved in helping the community.
Redistributing taxpayerís money is not generosity. The Catholic Church is raking in billions.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...n-us-contract/

Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 PM

14,143 posts, read 7,710,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Right is only tolerant if you obey their Bible and conform to their social norms. If you donít they donít want anything to do with you. I lost a longtime conservative friend over not supporting Trump and several for being gay. You have right wing pastors calling for the execution of gay people and they get silence to even support from Republicans. And try having a conversation with a rightist on marijuana legalization. Try to convince them it isnít a gateway drug or something only for stoners and deadbeats.

Thereís intolerance on the left as well but the right currently has most of the power in this country.
For your own mental health and peace of mind, you need to move out of your parentsí house. Most of the country is pretty tolerant of peopleís differences, particularly when they are self sufficient and independent. My brother enjoyed living for free in my mothers home and, decades later, he never moved out. When someone is supporting you as an adult, you are stuck living by their rules.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM

8,104 posts, read 4,592,291 times
Ideas(mathematical theory, religion, political philosophies, etc) don't need or deserve 'tolerance'. People do.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 5,593,438 times
It's obvious. The left is completely more diverse and tolerant in every population category than the right. The right's party continue to shrink whether people are leaving to move left or middle. The Democrat nominee continues to win the popular vote among registered voters, while the right can barely win the electoral college or both. The country demands progression, not decade-old radical fake family value rhetoric that Trump represents.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 PM

11,091 posts, read 6,555,717 times
Here are a couple of examples of the tolerance of the left.

My BIL and some friends were visiting Chicago last month for a baseball game, and a concert. Last month was also Pride month. Now let me preface this with some info. My BIL , much like myself , doesn't like our personal space invaded or being touched by strangers. Other than that, he's a normal middle aged schleprock that just wants to go about his business, like many others.
Well , they were walking through some area not sure where but there were all kinds of people around. Some protesting Trump, others doing the Pride thing. So, he gets approached and this person grabs his arm and starts tying a bracelet on it. BIL was like, "what are you doing ? " and the individual started talking about pride and all that. BIL was like " I didn't give you permission to touch me, take your bracelet and move on" So this individual starts getting in his face about being "one of those kind of people" and some of that persons friends came over and started spouting off. Things started getting heated , and if it wasn't for one of BIL's friends, being a local and talking things down, it would have gotten ugly.

That is the problem. Just because one doesn't want to be apart of the gay pride movement, they must be an enemy. Come on, is that really being tolerant ?

Second thing to happen to him on this trip, although I called him out for being creepy..LOL They were eating dinner at some popular pizza place and when he was handing the bill to the waitress he told her she had pretty eyes. Now supposedly he knew she was a lesbian, not sure how and he's been married almost 25 years and wasn't hitting on her. So she politely said thanks and walked away. So a nearby table was watching this and overheard the interaction. Again, it was a table full of women and supposedly they were lesbians, not sure on how he knew that. Anyways, they all started laughing at him, ridiculing how the man got shot down , good for the sister , etc. So he turned to them, pointed to his ring and I'm happily married, and when is a complement grounds for ridicule ?

Another example how things have turned (if it happened as explained to me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or