U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more tolerant of opposing views?
The Left 47 21.27%
The Right 174 78.73%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 PM

34,763 posts, read 29,581,018 times

Advertisements

I am not fond of the word "tolerant."

Nobody should be asked to be tolerant of racism, sexism, serial killers, pedophiles, etc.

Nobody should be asked to be tolerant of cruelty and hateful people.

Being tolerant of someone's view that Apple is superior to Android or that suburbs are better than cities? That sort of thing?

Sure.

Being tolerant of another person's religion as long as that religion (the actual religion) isn't harming anyone? Of course. That is baked right into the Constitution.

But, being tolerant of people treating me poorly? Not gonna happen.

I wish their was a "Neither" option for this poll.

Tolerance has very little to do with political affiliation.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 PM

34,763 posts, read 29,581,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here are a couple of examples of the tolerance of the left.

My BIL and some friends were visiting Chicago last month for a baseball game, and a concert. Last month was also Pride month. Now let me preface this with some info. My BIL , much like myself , doesn't like our personal space invaded or being touched by strangers. Other than that, he's a normal middle aged schleprock that just wants to go about his business, like many others.
Well , they were walking through some area not sure where but there were all kinds of people around. Some protesting Trump, others doing the Pride thing. So, he gets approached and this person grabs his arm and starts tying a bracelet on it. BIL was like, "what are you doing ? " and the individual started talking about pride and all that. BIL was like " I didn't give you permission to touch me, take your bracelet and move on" So this individual starts getting in his face about being "one of those kind of people" and some of that persons friends came over and started spouting off. Things started getting heated , and if it wasn't for one of BIL's friends, being a local and talking things down, it would have gotten ugly.

That is the problem. Just because one doesn't want to be apart of the gay pride movement, they must be an enemy. Come on, is that really being tolerant ?

Second thing to happen to him on this trip, although I called him out for being creepy..LOL They were eating dinner at some popular pizza place and when he was handing the bill to the waitress he told her she had pretty eyes. Now supposedly he knew she was a lesbian, not sure how and he's been married almost 25 years and wasn't hitting on her. So she politely said thanks and walked away. So a nearby table was watching this and overheard the interaction. Again, it was a table full of women and supposedly they were lesbians, not sure on how he knew that. Anyways, they all started laughing at him, ridiculing how the man got shot down , good for the sister , etc. So he turned to them, pointed to his ring and I'm happily married, and when is a complement grounds for ridicule ?

Another example how things have turned (if it happened as explained to me)
Example 1:

Someone tries to give you a bracelet... you can:

1. Politely refuse the offer
2. Accept it and take it off later

Acting like the bracelet may give you the gay cooties is sure to make things uncomfortable. Though, I agree that asking a person before touching them is the right thing to do, some people are just more touchy feely than others.

Example 2:

People at a table (do we really know they're lesbians?) get a chuckle out of seeing a guy compliment a woman who then went on about her business. My first thought was that they might have been drinking. People who are drinking are obnoxious people. Also, when a guy is complimenting a waitress about something personal like her eyes, it IS usually a come on.

Not saying your friend was hitting on someone. Just saying it can be easily perceived that way.

Neither example is really one of anyone being intolerant except for your relative being intolerant of having a bracelet tied to his arm.

Which, again, his body and his option to refuse it.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 3,511,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Left. We actually care about everyone and their views.
LOL.... OMG —LOL LOL LOL
So much so that you have to consistently censure republicans on social media, conservative speakers at colleges. Your people riot and burn down buildings and personal property when they don’t like an opposition speaker. Your tolerant people repeatedly beat up people wearing a MAGA hat or are a conservative journalist — recently sent a conservative journalist to the hospital with a brain hemorrhage. Spray painted Tucker Carlson’s driveway with NAZI signs and beat down his front door terrorizing his wife and kids.
Your leaders encourage harassment and violence on republicans. Your tolerant people chase republicans and their families out of restaurants because they don’t like their views.
You and your tolerant party call anyone and everyone you don’t like a RACIST!! A NAZI!! white privileged, toxicly masculine ......etc etc etc etc

At this writing, 80% of the posters here recognize your party is way more intolerant than the republicans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 PM

11,091 posts, read 6,555,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Example 1

Someone tries to give you a bracelet... you can:

1. Politely refuse the offer
2. Accept it and take it off later

Acting like the bracelet may give you the gay cooties is sure to make things uncomfortable. Though, I agree that asking a person before touching them is the right thing to do, some people are just more touchy feely than others.

Example 2:

People at a table (do we really know they're lesbians?) get a chuckle out of seeing a guy compliment a woman who then went on about her business. My first thought was that they might have been drinking. People who are drinking are obnoxious people. Also, when a guy is complimenting a waitress about something personal like her eyes, it IS usually a come on.

Not saying your friend was hitting on someone. Just saying it can be easily perceived that way.

Neither example is really one of anyone being intolerant except for your relative being intolerant of having a bracelet tied to his arm.

Which, again, his body and his option to refuse it.

Interesting. So having been touched without consent, and when he spoke up about it, he's the intolerant one ? And I believe he did reply politely, and it almost ended up in a scuffle. Now I've nicknamed this relative Eeyore because he is so low key, so I know he didn't get into some ones face first. And he is the intolerant one....Wow...the world really has gone full Idiocracy.

So had it been my SIL being approached by a man, and touched without consent....I wonder how that would go...#METOO movement and all.

And I see you completely glossed over him being labeled as "one of those" a hater of the LGB community. Which is ironic because one of his close friends from HS is a lesbian.

Getting into some ones personal space and touching them is a no go...if it had happened to me I most likely would have shoved the person away.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 07-16-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 4,418,637 times
Honest question. Why should minorities be "tolerant" of politicians that want laws that discriminate against them?

Old 07-16-2019, 01:34 PM

13,279 posts, read 4,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Which side is more tolerant of different point of views?
That's like asking who was the worse dictator, Hitler or Stalin

Country is at the boiling point, unfortunately.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The left is way more tolerant of the way people look. If your skin isn’t white, the right will tell you to “go home”.
Really???
Get your head out of the corrupt liberal fake news media bubble and liberal ideology that keeps you ignorant and race-baiting about republicans.
If your post is true
Then why was the head of the Republican Party (RNC) a black guy? (Michael Steele)
Why was the FIRST black Supreme Court Justice a Republican ? Clarence Thomas
Why was the FIRST black Secretary of State, Secretary of defense a black man? Colin Powell
Why was the FIRST. Black woman to ever be Secretary of State a Republican? Condoleezza Rice
Why was the First Hispanic man to be AG a Republican?
FOX hired talented black news and business journalists well before CNN or MSNBC. They also hired an openly gay news guy.
Why did the 16 candidates for Republican president in 2016 have a black man, two Hispanics, a woman, and an Indian American?
I could go on and on......republicans put minorities in high powerful places well before democrats did.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:47 PM

11,091 posts, read 6,555,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Really???
Get your head out of the corrupt liberal fake news media bubble and liberal ideology that keeps you ignorant and race-baiting about republicans.
If your post is true
Then why was the head of the Republican Party (RNC) a black guy? (Michael Steele)
Why was the FIRST black Supreme Court Justice a Republican ? Clarence Thomas
Why was the FIRST black Secretary of State, Secretary of defense a black man? Colin Powell
Why was the FIRST. Black woman to ever be Secretary of State a Republican? Condoleezza Rice
Why was the First Hispanic man to be AG a Republican?
FOX hired talented black news and business journalists well before CNN or MSNBC. They also hired an openly gay news guy.
Why did the 16 candidates for Republican president in 2016 have a black man, two Hispanics, a woman, and an Indian American?
I could go on and on......republicans put minorities in high powerful places well before democrats did.
Would love to see Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice back in the game. We always have 2024 to look forward to...John James and Candace Owens would be a great ticket.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That's like asking who was the worse dictator, Hitler or Stalin

Country is at the boiling point, unfortunately.
I do find wing-nuts arguing about who is less tolerant to be amusingly ironic. A form of dark comedy, I suppose.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Would love to see Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice back in the game. We always have 2024 to look forward to...John James and Candace Owens would be a great ticket.
Agree — except the intolerant left and their corrupt media is so cruel and viscous these days, I’d hate to see Colin or Condi subjected to the new crazy intolerant democrats and their dishonest character assassinations. At least James and Owens have grown up with this new violent and corrupted left, and they can manage it better than the old school guys.
I’d love to see the talented Nikki Haley as VP or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or