U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM

14,297 posts, read 11,696,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This HUUUUGE injustice, crimes against humanity as it is known today, happened. But we should just look the other way as a nation with an Oh well, it is over now. Except it isn't. Without reconciliation there can be no meaningful forward motion.

Well, I'm reconciled just fine. I acknowledge our history good and bad but I'm not living in that past. If I were I wouldn't be moving forward. And I don't feel the need to apologize for history based merely on my White skin. We are ALL Americans now If you get divorced does sitting around moping, lamenting and apologizing for what you may have done wrong, and looking backwards dwelling on regrets gain you any forward momentum?

Black people who are holding grudges, bitterness and hatred for me because I was born White aren't gaining forward momentum either. Especially now with their status as a protected class of citizen and all the extreme platitudes and pandering offered them because they are Black. If they so much as insinuate that I am a racist I am immediately presumed guilty based on nothing more than my being White.

Whatever HUUUGE injustice happened here in the now distant past has nothing to do with me. I see Black people no differently than I see any other people. I'm not the one pointing out differences in skin tone as some sort of factor in determining what sort of person I'm dealing with. I'm not offering any apologies for history and don't believe I should be asked for one. An apology would imply that I did something wrong as an individual. That I somehow wronged someone. In this case Black people in general.

Not gonna happen. I have done nothing wrong. Or is it an unpardonable crime having been born White? If meaningful forward motion is the goal, then it's high time we left some things behind. I certainly don't advocate forgetting our history. That history teaches us many lessons and grants us the knowledge to not repeat our mistakes. But we don't need to continue to live in that history to learn those lessons.

Last edited by NVplumber; 07-16-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM

79,548 posts, read 33,842,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Maybe both blacks and whites should apologize for the racial conditions all over the world, or even better, stop talking and thinking about each other. But that won't happen because the two groups enjoy doing what they do.
A start would be to stop seeing "two groups".

Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM

7,410 posts, read 4,492,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I really hope she wins the nomination.
Only way that happens involves a fatal plane crash with all of the other Democratic candidates crashing into Hillary Clinton's house where Al Gore also just happens to be visiting.

538 has her one above last place in polling numbers. No one takes her seriously as a candidate.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM

7,410 posts, read 4,492,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She's been a best-selling author for decades. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know who she is.
Or just not be interested in er type of books. I doubt anyone coud pull out the current bestseller list and tell us who most of those authors are.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 AM

52,155 posts, read 41,971,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Doing so at the present time would:

1) run you afoul of federal law.
2) Definitely get you called racist.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 AM

7,017 posts, read 2,560,001 times
Quote:
Then why do black people still face racial profiling? Discrimination in housing and lending?
Give an example of racial profiling where every variable except race is equal, leaving race as the sole determinant in a proven null hypothesis. By all means.

In housing and lending, give an example where all relevant financial measures, including credit score, work history, income, savings, debt-to-income ratio and collateral are all held equal and the only difference between applicants is race, yet still results ina provable null hypothesis on race discrimination. By all means.
Quote:
I never said one word about money.
I was being allegorical, not literal. Don't be the guy who goes down the pedantic fallacy route.

The reconciliation you speak of is rent seeking. Some form of compensatory "payment" is being sought, as if this will be some panacea that cures all historical ills. Whether it be in some manner of preferential treatment (see: "Affirmative Action"), special recognition (see: "Black/Hispanice History Month") or actual rent (see: "government assistance programs that are based specifically on race and exclude white people"), there is compensation being sought. White guilt becomes institutionalized and monetized as some form of perpetual apologetic bureaucracy. Be intellectually honest about that which you seek.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM

625 posts, read 109,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why? They are two groups, just as America and Australia are two different continents, two different groups of people. You do not like to recognize an apple from an orange? Or do you want the differences conveniently erased when it comes to black and white?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Doing so at the present time would:

1) run you afoul of federal law.
2) Definitely get you called racist.
I'll give you point #1. Not the other. I still stand by my statement. If we did this we would not have needed #1.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Why? They are two groups, just as America and Australia are two different continents, two different groups of people. You do not like to recognize an apple from an orange? Or do you want the differences conveniently erased when it comes to black and white?
It's all simply people. If you want to divide, have at it.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 AM

12,490 posts, read 9,978,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Give an example of racial profiling where every variable except race is equal, leaving race as the sole determinant in a proven null hypothesis. By all means.

In housing and lending, give an example where all relevant financial measures, including credit score, work history, income, savings, debt-to-income ratio and collateral are all held equal and the only difference between applicants is race, yet still results ina provable null hypothesis on race discrimination. By all means.

I was being allegorical, not literal. Don't be the guy who goes down the pedantic fallacy route.

The reconciliation you speak of is rent seeking. Some form of compensatory "payment" is being sought, as if this will be some panacea that cures all historical ills. Whether it be in some manner of preferential treatment (see: "Affirmative Action"), special recognition (see: "Black/Hispanice History Month") or actual rent (see: "government assistance programs that are based specifically on race and exclude white people"), there is compensation being sought. White guilt becomes institutionalized and monetized as some form of perpetual apologetic bureaucracy. Be intellectually honest about that which you seek.
I guess I can tell you that it is not money related. You won't believe me. I don't know what form it would take. That is jumping to a solution. A truth commission would have to happen before the determination of the reconciliation. Just paying money would be useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or