U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM

508 posts, read 476,848 times

Advertisements

We ignore racial evolution to our peril

Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM

12,721 posts, read 10,034,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
"Math equity" is now a term trumped up by the SJW/PC crowd referring to the growing insistence among math educators that teaching mathematics in classrooms comes with inherently biased racist methodology that must be addressed.

Furthermore, the SJW/PC crowd in favor of "math equity" stresses the importance of social justice warrior issues such as race, diversity, and gender when it comes to mathematics education.

According to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, "“It (Math equity) requires mathematics teachers to reflect on their own identity, positions, and beliefs in regards to racist and sorting-based mechanisms. It involves noticing students, learning about the worlds they live in, and building mathematics that comes from these worlds. And finally, it involves engaging other educators in partnerships to build equity-oriented communities."

More about how math is racist can be found in the article linked below:

Article
ALL of education in the US is chritian/white biased with conformity being the priority.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 AM

10,909 posts, read 10,621,629 times
Uh-huh. And when your bridges and buildings start caving in a few years, maybe you SJWs will start scratching your heads and wondering if the laws of physics, that you decided to ignore in the engineering equations that all your little Johnnies couldn't understand and were thus given a pass in Engineering 456 so as not to be perceived as racist, are racist as well.

The whole universe is against you little darlings, right? The very fundamental underpinnings of our existence is out to get you guys. Now now, honey, not to worry... you're all winners. Yes dear, don't cry: two plus two IS nineteen. Here is your trophy.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM

52,281 posts, read 42,056,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
One beautiful thing about math, at least below the 300 level theoretical university stuff.

No interpretation. The answer is the answer. Race makes no difference whatsoever.
The answer might be, but the test scores for getting the answer right or wrong are not.

Disparate impact is an accepted legal argument and is widely used.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 AM

18,527 posts, read 9,105,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The answer might be, but the test scores for getting the answer right or wrong are not.

Disparate impact is an accepted legal argument and is widely used.
Does that mean Math Test Scores are adjusted for the race, gender, and/or ethnicity of the student?

12,721 posts, read 10,034,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Uh-huh. And when your bridges and buildings start caving in a few years, maybe you SJWs will start scratching your heads and wondering if the laws of physics, that you decided to ignore in the engineering equations that all your little Johnnies couldn't understand and were thus given a pass in Engineering 456 so as not to be perceived as racist, are racist as well.

The whole universe is against you little darlings, right? The very fundamental underpinnings of our existence is out to get you guys. Now now, honey, not to worry... you're all winners. Yes dear, don't cry: two plus two IS nineteen. Here is your trophy.
You really don't even understand what the issue is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
ALL of education in the US is chritian/white biased with conformity being the priority.
If you've ever dealt with common math, you would know that it IS about conformity. There is no other way it could be. You should be goddamn glad that it is. And it has nothing to do with white and christian--it's called the laws of physics. You should thank the engineers that signed off on the blueprints of that office building you're sitting in right now because they met CONFORMIST standards of safe building and engineering practices, rather than throwing a tantrum and spewing off a bunch of crap about how engineering principles shouldn't be so conformist because they are racist... and white... and Christian. You should be glad that the engineer who calculated the loads on the structural column right next to your cubicle was conformist enough to make sure it CONFORMED to the mathematical minimums required to keep your ass safe rather than resulting in a shower of concrete and rebar raining down on your SJW head.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You really don't even understand what the issue is about.
Sure I do. I've been teaching math at a university for over twenty-five years now. It's about a group of people who want a passing grade whilst not putting in any effort to get the passing grade. I can assure you that computational ability (which is what the overwhelming majority of college students have to master to get through the low-level math classes required for their general math requirements) has nothing to do with race. I've had students from all races pass and students from all races fail my algebra classes. Not once has race been a factor. What has been a factor is whether the given student is willing to sit his/her/its ass down and study the material or not. You can cry about math all you want, but two plus two is still going to be four no matter how hard you think it is and how hard you want to change it.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM

35,459 posts, read 19,453,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Mathematics (as in math) is now considered RACIST.
This'll get the tRumplings up and barking like Pavlov dogs.

Even though math wasn't exactly their favorite subject.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM

10,175 posts, read 8,169,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Proof writing takes creativity, and there are many “correct” paths one can take.
I am talking about the lack of subjective grading in Math. It is either correct or it is not. Example 1+1 =2

In other subjects, for example literature, a story may be excellent or not and can be subjective. Example, The Sun Also rises which I had to read in college is considered a great and a classic. For me, reading it was like watching grass grow. I HATED that book. Subjective, I rate it a turd. I know many with far higher credentials than me disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or