U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM

15,569 posts, read 7,966,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Having read the article, it sounds like they are more concerned with the history of Math, not the math itself.

That being said, I'm getting pretty tired of the right trying to make everything about race. If someone mentions race, then there is the right, ready to promote fear tactics that "your identity is being erased".

Acknowledging that people of color also had major contributions to math (as the article states) really does not take away from White People's contributions.

And the title of this thread is a purposefully misleading lie. Math is not racist, but the way the history of it is being taught potentially is (that is the case they are making). It's a very similar comparison to the history of Rock and Roll.

Me, I really don't care about any of this. I guess that's my point. This is not about SJW's trying to change the world. This is about RWNJ's trying to scare people into thinking they are being erased.

It's funny in a way. By saying that people are blaming you for being a racist, you are taking a situation where they are not saying that, and actually making it so. Of course, I think that is the objective of the right. They need to be a victim or else their fear politics don't work.
This is true as well. I agree with the blue. And I also remember being hilariously surprised by a poster on this very forum who told me that Rock and Roll was not a genre rooted in the black music tradition . I was literally shocked by it because I couldn't believe they were trying to debate that it wasn't when it is specifically based on the Blues lol.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 236,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Having read the article, it sounds like they are more concerned with the history of Math, not the math itself.

That being said, I'm getting pretty tired of the right trying to make everything about race. If someone mentions race, then there is the right, ready to promote fear tactics that "your identity is being erased".

Acknowledging that people of color also had major contributions to math (as the article states) really does not take away from White People's contributions.

And the title of this thread is a purposefully misleading lie. Math is not racist, but the way the history of it is being taught potentially is (that is the case they are making). It's a very similar comparison to the history of Rock and Roll.

Me, I really don't care about any of this. I guess that's my point. This is not about SJW's trying to change the world. This is about RWNJ's trying to scare people into thinking they are being erased.

It's funny in a way. By saying that people are blaming you for being a racist, you are taking a situation where they are not saying that, and actually making it so. Of course, I think that is the objective of the right. They need to be a victim or else their fear politics don't work.
No, it's about student outcome for pre-K through grade 12.

https://www.nctm.org/Standards-and-P...ics-Education/
NCTM Position

Creating, supporting, and sustaining a culture of access and equity require being responsive to students' backgrounds, experiences, cultural perspectives, traditions, and knowledge when designing and implementing a mathematics program and assessing its effectiveness. Acknowledging and addressing factors that contribute to differential outcomes among groups of students are critical to ensuring that all students routinely have opportunities to experience high-quality mathematics instruction, learn challenging mathematics content, and receive the support necessary to be successful. Addressing equity and access includes both ensuring that all students attain mathematics proficiency and increasing the numbers of students from all racial, ethnic, linguistic, gender, and socioeconomic groups who attain the highest levels of mathematics achievement.

Practices that support access and equity require comprehensive understanding. These practices include, but are not limited to, holding high expectations, ensuring access to high-quality mathematics curriculum and instruction, allowing adequate time for students to learn, placing appropriate emphasis on differentiated processes that broaden students' productive engagement with mathematics, and making strategic use of human and material resources. When access and equity have been successfully addressed, student outcomes—including achievement on a range of mathematics assessments, disposition toward mathematics, and persistence in the mathematics pipeline—transcend, and cannot be predicted by students' racial, ethnic, linguistic, gender, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or