Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What an imbecilic thing to say. Projecting again, I see.
Guess it went over your head! Do you need further explanation?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 AM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Proof writing takes creativity, and there are many “correct” paths one can take.
And those "paths" are either correct or incorrect in their implication. Having something as either right or wrong drives the left insane. Thus they hate math and want to either turn it into a wishy-washy, touchy-feely bunch of nonsense, or shame it to irrelevancy. Unfortunately, all the hard sciences are dependent upon correct math. Most everything in life around them is heavily dependent upon correct math. That's going to be a problem for their "War on Math."

Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Math is math and not open to interpretation like say writing a paper for English class is. In math you are either right of wrong.

What is really wrong is lowering the bar for minorities. Is it really that racist to expect them and to help them rise to the occasion of advanced math and possible learn something?

Lowering the standards so they feel better about themselves is tantamount to putting the black folk back on the plantations. They are keeping them down by keeping the stupid and then later in life they can complain that the white man kept them down and they can't get a good job.

I blame Obama. Like him or not he was a smart guy to achieve what he did but sadly instead of raising up his "people" by challenging them to apply themselves he allowed them to stay down and wallow in their perpetual victim hood.
Having read the article, it sounds like they are more concerned with the history of Math, not the math itself.

That being said, I'm getting pretty tired of the right trying to make everything about race. If someone mentions race, then there is the right, ready to promote fear tactics that "your identity is being erased".

Acknowledging that people of color also had major contributions to math (as the article states) really does not take away from White People's contributions.

And the title of this thread is a purposefully misleading lie. Math is not racist, but the way the history of it is being taught potentially is (that is the case they are making). It's a very similar comparison to the history of Rock and Roll.

Me, I really don't care about any of this. I guess that's my point. This is not about SJW's trying to change the world. This is about RWNJ's trying to scare people into thinking they are being erased.

It's funny in a way. By saying that people are blaming you for being a racist, you are taking a situation where they are not saying that, and actually making it so. Of course, I think that is the objective of the right. They need to be a victim or else their fear politics don't work.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
One of the last bastions of total objectivity..Math, has fallen to the "everything is racist" mantra.

Is 2+2 different for each race ?

I do know that hardly any of the young folks today can do Math in their heads..the register tells them how much to give me and/or they whip out their phones to bring up a calculator.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM

31,045 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
They are so pro-education that they bash teachers, public schools, universities, etc every chance they can get and decry anything scientific that doesn't support their agenda. Meanwhile education rankings for the Bible Belt are atrocious.

But, sure, they are pro education . . .
Guess you would be against the "Math Equity" policy then?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:45 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Does that mean Math Test Scores are adjusted for the race, gender, and/or ethnicity of the student?
What it comes down to is that liberals think certain minorities are too stupid to actually learn and do math (or anything else) in an equal manner with other races. They buy into the whole intelligence is genetic and has a large racial component-but don't have the courage to actually say it. This is opposed with most conservatives that realize that all races ARE fundamentally as capable, and that it is up to the individual to apply themselves.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Of course Math is racist, but against Native Americans. After all if you are doing accounting and you are in the Black that is good. But if you are in the Red it is bad. See, racist no doubt about it.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Sure I do. I've been teaching math at a university for over twenty-five years now. It's about a group of people who want a passing grade whilst not putting in any effort to get the passing grade. I can assure you that computational ability (which is what the overwhelming majority of college students have to master to get through the low-level math classes required for their general math requirements) has nothing to do with race. I've had students from all races pass and students from all races fail my algebra classes. Not once has race been a factor. What has been a factor is whether the given student is willing to sit his/her/its ass down and study the material or not. You can cry about math all you want, but two plus two is still going to be four no matter how hard you think it is and how hard you want to change it.
1) How can anyone "fail" algebra at the college level...if so you're probably not college material in the first place.

2) Why is it being taught in a university? IIRC algebra was about 8th grade math class (right after geometry if memory serves me). Or are you talking about multivariate or higher-level, engineering-focused algebra?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Guess you would be against the "Math Equity" policy then?
I believe students from under-represented communities deserve special consideration for getting into college. The quality of school districts can so starkly contrast with one another that test scores are not apples to apples comparisons. If one student goes to a school where every student has their own laptop, class sizes are 20 students per class, and the faculty is consistent year-over-year, that student should do better than one who comes from a school where there is no wi-fi in the classroom, classes are 45 students per teacher, and the faculty changes over from marking period to marking period.

To be clear, under-represented communities in my mind are based primarily on class rather than any other demographic. I went to James Madison University in Virginia as an undergrad. There were in-state students from Northern Virginia who had higher test scores who didn't get in versus students from the Tidewater area (primarily black) and Appalachian area (primarily white) with lower test scores. The resources that NoVa kids had were far superior to those other VA regions - - I support having acceptance theory matching that.

Once students get in, however, every student needs to be graded on the same scale. So once students get to college, I'm against math, or any other subject, equity. Doesn't mean that there can't be study halls or math centers (built like a writing center) that students can go to for help, but in the classroom, all students need to be judged equally.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) How can anyone "fail" algebra at the college level...if so you're probably not college material in the first place.

2) Why is it being taught in a university? IIRC algebra was about 8th grade math class (right after geometry if memory serves me). Or are you talking about multivariate or higher-level, engineering-focused algebra?
Believe me, I still teach grammar to my undergraduate students.

In 1970, only 30% of Americans went to college; now it is 70%. From that standpoint, some of them are not college material (and many of those will get filtered out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies