U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

10,662 posts, read 2,725,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Iíll go one further. I have never been arrested, received a moving violation or a parking ticket. I obey laws, regardless if I agree with them or not.

In the event an officer attempts to arrest me at some future date, I am not going to run my mouth, take off running or physically resist. Thereís a time and place.
Had you been alive at the time before civil rights (in the south), would you have been one of those people calling police on a black person who was 'out of order'/not obeying laws, or maybe sitting in the wrong section on a bus, or in a restaurant, or otherwise being non compliant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM

4,560 posts, read 898,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I thought chokehold was banned by police department?

Truly sad. This is one of those times I believe police was in the wrong.
There have been too many times the cops were in the wrong but got off easy! That is something really needs to change.

Old Today, 12:13 AM

50,723 posts, read 26,752,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Common sense 101, donít resist arrest. Iíve seen white people get slammed to the pavement by Police with a foot on their neck, they were acting stupid and resisting.
Comply or die, right?

Amazing that so many people think like this.

Old Today, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I thought chokehold was banned by police department?

Truly sad. This is one of those times I believe police was in the wrong.
The most horrific thing is listening to him beg for them to stop and let him breathe.

And yet people say that he was resisting and still deserved to die for selling loose cigarettes.

Old Today, 12:23 AM

There wonít be any rioting, but there will very likely be retaliation for this one.

Old Today, 12:40 AM

1,329 posts, read 399,943 times
Quit resisting , comply , answer questions, go to the station, try and work it out. Also work on not being a criminal and not being arrested , and then these things wonít happen.

Old Today, 12:42 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,683,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The most horrific thing is listening to him beg for them to stop and let him breathe.

And yet people say that he was resisting and still deserved to die for selling loose cigarettes.
Explain to me what you want them to do. He was breathing. If you can speak you are breathing. He was resisting arrest. Ok guys he isn't cuffed lets just let him up. I love all these experts who have never made an arrest. They have never had a 350 pound man resist them. Try it sometime and then get back to me.

Old Today, 12:47 AM

8,687 posts, read 2,489,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Comply or die, right?

Amazing that so many people think like this.
We agree and I do mean 100%

I am I admit a bit confused. I was under the impression that the police are supposed to be public servants. Please. I need someone to explain to me how killing a man who was supposedly or allegedly selling loose cigarettes wanted a gang of public servants to gang up on him and choke Mr. Garner to death? I do mean Mr. Garner because he was a civilian. A member of his community, the public, in other words someone that gang of public servants were supposed to serve.

OK let's put it another way.

What if 5 civilians attacked another civilian, and due to the choke hold said civilian died? What if their excuse was, that they were certain that said civilian was selling loose cigarettes? Would they get off without being charged? What? No? Then why do we hold cops to a lower standard than we allow them to hold us?

What? Unfair the lover's of unbridled police authority say? Mr. Garner was yuuuuuuge. He was mean looking. I must confess I watched the video of him pleading with the police to leave him alone. He looked like a giant panda bear trying to shrug off a heard of honey badgers. I can see how the heard of badgers felt intimidated as he refused to be man handled...

The easy answer is just comply. That's easy to say when you aren't the one being accosted repeatedly. You start to feel singled out. When that happens you start to feel angry about it. Maybe even rebellious.

My son is black. One night while driving my badazz Yota he was pulled over. He and I had built the truck from a rolling chassis. A father son project, but the truck was in my name. The police had many excuses. The tint was too dark. Nope perfectly legal. Lifted too high. Nope. Perfectly legal. Then the ever popular get ready for it. He crossed the double yellow twice.

Soon there were 3 cruisers, and a small army of cops. Luckily he did what I taught him, drilled into him. Hands on the wheel, dont move unless told too. Explain in detail every movement. He was respected by being made to repeat the field sobriety test several times. Just in case the first 2 times were a fluke right?

Afterward they let him go. No thank you, no apologies for the snide remarks. I'll quote "first time I ever saw a Ni%%er drive a monster truck. I seen it all now."

Now my boy wasn't drinking, he might have crossed the double yellow. Those 35 inch swampers made the truck bounce a bit. Now he has his side windows down because it was a hot summer night and that 1988 Yota didn't have air conditioning. So much for we didn't know the driver was black. His girl friend was stared at like she was sub human and made to sit on the curb.

The boy came home enraged. He wasn't in our home town he was about 30 miles away. He and my truck were known in our town and he had never faced that crap before. Our local police got in touch with the cops who did it. They even PO'ed our cops. They were lame. All about authority....

I detest cops who hide behind their badge and do things that they would arrest anyone else for doing.

Old Today, 04:44 AM

3,722 posts, read 2,024,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Explain to me what you want them to do. He was breathing. If you can speak you are breathing. He was resisting arrest. Ok guys he isn't cuffed lets just let him up. I love all these experts who have never made an arrest. They have never had a 350 pound man resist them. Try it sometime and then get back to me.
Ain't that the case.
Everyone's an expert from their keyboard but out there in the real world reality hurts.
Thank you for your service by the way.

Old Today, 04:51 AM

7,375 posts, read 3,049,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The cop who put the 37-time offender in a chokehold will not be charged:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....old-death/amp/

The city ME believes Mr. Garner died of an asthma attack due to the hold, but other experts suggest he died of a heart attack while resisting arrest. Either way, the cop wonít be charged.
Resisting arrest. A concept now mainstream in some communities. The cop just did his job taking down this obese scofflaw.
The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies