U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 06:40 AM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Reputation: 32446

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The city and community failed Garner?

He had a job. Reportedly he had to resign for health reasons, related to his weight.

Nonetheless, he was able to father a child who was 3 months old at the time of Garnerís death.

I see someone with a long track record of lousy choices.
He's responsible for his decisions.

The city is responsible for the actions of their police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 06:47 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,825 posts, read 7,975,552 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I looked at pics from the internet and didn't see neck or face tattoos on Officer Pantaleo. However, his left arm appeared entirely covered from his wrist up past his elbow. Right arm covered above the elbow. Both legs appeared covered from the ankle up past the knee. If it had been my call I would not have hired the guy as a LE officer.


Then why on Earth bring up neck/face tattoos?


I have a full sleeve on my right arm, and my left leg is sleeved from the knee to the ankle. I'm an IT project manager for an international software company - a customer facing position. I promise you I don't look like a "psycho" or a "thug".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:50 AM
 
4,342 posts, read 2,269,183 times
Reputation: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The city and community failed Garner?

He had a job. Reportedly he had to resign for health reasons, related to his weight.

Nonetheless, he was able to father a child who was 3 months old at the time of Garner’s death.

I see someone with a long track record of lousy choices.

I guess nowawdays if you defend yourself or don't accept excessive use of force passively then you are resisting arrest. Nobody deserves to die for selling cigarettes. The chokehold was poor judgement, and a contributor to an undeserved death. That alone should result in the firing of the officer (just like shooting a kid with a BB gun did for that officer).

They should have simply handed him a paper ticket and walked away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:51 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,825 posts, read 7,975,552 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Comply or die, right?

Amazing that so many people think like this.


It's not "right", but out on the street, in the middle of your arrest is not the safest time to try to prove your point.


You can't say "I told you so/I was right", or spend any settlement money, if you're dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:59 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,153 posts, read 461,068 times
Reputation: 1126
I wonder how he feels knowing he can murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:10 AM
 
79,362 posts, read 33,653,273 times
Reputation: 15877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I guess nowawdays if you defend yourself or don't accept excessive use of force passively then you are resisting arrest. Nobody deserves to die for selling cigarettes. The chokehold was poor judgement, and a contributor to an undeserved death. That alone should result in the firing of the officer (just like shooting a kid with a BB gun did for that officer).

They should have simply handed him a paper ticket and walked away.
A ticket for what? He wasn't doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:15 AM
 
79,362 posts, read 33,653,273 times
Reputation: 15877
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It's not "right", but out on the street, in the middle of your arrest is not the safest time to try to prove your point.


You can't say "I told you so/I was right", or spend any settlement money, if you're dead.
If it's not right, we all need to demand it stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:20 AM
 
5,188 posts, read 2,771,664 times
Reputation: 9523
What a relief with no chargy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:38 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,825 posts, read 7,975,552 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If it's not right, we all need to demand it stop.
Agreed. That's pretty much what I said.


That demand coming in the middle of the arrest is a bad idea, IMO, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:40 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
9,548 posts, read 4,356,293 times
Reputation: 5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Then why on Earth bring up neck/face tattoos?


I have a full sleeve on my right arm, and my left leg is sleeved from the knee to the ankle. I'm an IT project manager for an international software company - a customer facing position. I promise you I don't look like a "psycho" or a "thug".
As long as you're not a cop I don't care if you have tattoos on your eyeballs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top