Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,952,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Agreed. That's pretty much what I said.

That demand coming in the middle of the arrest is a bad idea, IMO, however.
There are still many (including the state) that is defending what he did.

People will go on and on about how great our country is and all about the Constitution but when some large black man has his rights violated the same people will defend that. (not saying that is you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,279,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are still many (including the state) that is defending what he did.

People will go on and on about how great our country is and all about the Constitution but when some large black man has his rights violated the same people will defend that. (not saying that is you)

Well, it really comes down to whether the hold deployed by the office was authorized or not, from my perspective.

If it was, this appears to lean more toward accidental death, IMO.

If it was not, there is some obvious negligence on the part of the arresting officer(s) and the NYPD as a whole.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The city and community failed Garner?

He had a job. Reportedly he had to resign for health reasons, related to his weight.

Nonetheless, he was able to father a child who was 3 months old at the time of Garner’s death.

I see someone with a long track record of lousy choices.
Sex does not stop anyone. He also has a wife and had a love child with a side piece woman.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Well, it really comes down to whether the hold deployed by the office was authorized or not, from my perspective.
No it does not. He wasn't doing anything.

Quote:
If it was, this appears to lean more toward accidental death, IMO.

If it was not, there is some obvious negligence on the part of the arresting officer(s) and the NYPD as a whole.
Maybe I was wrong and it is about you also.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No it does not. He wasn't doing anything.

Well, he was being arrested, wasn't he? That's something. I'm not commenting on the validity, or lack thereof, of the arrest itself.

Quote:
Maybe I was wrong and it is about you also.

What is "about me", precisely?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:48 AM

2,023 posts, read 870,381 times
Default N.Y. Police Commander Said Eric Garner’s Death ‘Wasn’t a Big Deal,’ New Texts Reveal

The texts between commander Lt. Christopher Bannon and Sgt. Dhanan Saminath were revealed for the first time Thursday during the disciplinary hearing for accused officer Daniel Pantaleo, who faces termination for his reckless use of a chokehold that lead to Garner’s death.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/05...-texts-reveal/

Police culture.

Police culture is a type of organizational culture that contains unwritten roles and social codes that dictate the way that a person within the culture will function, as well as building a strong sense of solidarity among the group and a will to conform. Police culture deals specifically with the behavior of officers within the force.

Police culture has several main characteristics that can be seen among members. These include an exaggerated sense of the duty of police work and the importance of stopping crime, a celebration of all masculine traits, a willingness to assume force in situations and a desire for crime-oriented tasks rather than more menial desk-oriented tasks.

https://www.reference.com/government...ed7e9c662e3cf1

Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well, he was being arrested, wasn't he? That's something. I'm not commenting on the validity, or lack thereof, of the arrest itself.
No, you can not just dismiss that they had no reason to even touch him.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No, you can not just dismiss that they had no reason to even touch him.

And I didn't. I addressed this in my first post on that topic - in the middle of the arrest is NOT the time to try to adjudicate it's validity, especially by physically resisting. It's dangerous, and reasonably so.

Again, you can't say "I was right!" when you're dead.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM

19,954 posts, read 8,852,758 times
do what the police tell you to do and you'll be fine. Garner was a stain on society, glad he's gone.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,866,605 times
Garner was not a model citizen.
He was being pursued for selling cigarettes.

He said 11 times he can't breathe.

I'm not sure death by choking is the appropriate punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies