U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

79,457 posts, read 33,688,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
OK, then, how do you advocate "stopping" it?
Violate someone's civil rights and it ends in you getting fired. Our civil rights are that important.

If in that violation you harm someone, the repercussions get stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

7,935 posts, read 2,303,397 times
it was better for the whole neighborhood he was put down. Selling cigarettes to kids? 30+ arrests?

What a moron. The worlds a better place without Eric Garner.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

8,856 posts, read 7,982,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Violate someone's civil rights and it ends in you getting fired. Our civil rights are that important.

If in that violation you harm someone, the repercussions get stronger.

How do you intend to enact that change in departmental and legislative action, though?

Also, when/who/how do you get to the decision on whether someone's civil rights were violated? Remember, you just scolded me for advocating using the courts and legal system....

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

10,686 posts, read 2,733,880 times
Quote:
NO, this idea has to stop. It is not acceptable to have a policy of simply allowing the police to violate the civil rights of the citizens and then let the courts sort it out.

I can't believe anyone actually takes this position.
Yes...Ive said this numerous times as well, People should NOT be allowing police all this leeway!

If they are violating your rights...you sort it out RIGHT THERE ON THE SPOT!!!!, not just allow them to arrest you and sort it out in court, that is giving them way too much leverage!

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Quote:
How do you intend to enact that change in departmental and legislative action, though?
Force if need be. While I do not support the harming of individuals outside of direct self defense, I have no problem with people breaking things.

I can't understand why everyone does not support that and then there would be no need for force.

Quote:
Also, when/who/how do you get to the decision on whether someone's civil rights were violated? Remember, you just scolded me for advocating using the courts and legal system....
No, I scolded you for advocating the idea that you should just allow a police officer to violate your civil liberties. Yes, even a police officer accused of violating a persons civil liberties gets his day in court.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

9,859 posts, read 21,158,402 times
Garner shouldn't have refused to stop illegal sells on public sidewalk but he didn't deserve to die in a martial arts choke hold. Very excessive use of force. I'd at least like it to go to trial.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Force if need be. While I do not support the harming of individuals outside of direct self defense, I have no problem with people breaking things.

I can't understand why everyone does not support that and then there would be no need for force.

"Breaking things"? Please be specific. I support peacefully protesting civil rights violations. I DO NOT support destruction of property that doesn't belong to you.

Quote:
No, I scolded you for advocating the idea that you should just allow a police officer to violate your civil liberties. Yes, even a police officer accused of violating a persons civil liberties gets his day in court.
So, how do I stop a police officer from "violating my civil rights"? Physical resistance? That's a dangerous roll of the dice, as we have seen.

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quote:
"Breaking things"? Please be specific. I support peacefully protesting civil rights violations. I DO NOT support destruction of property that doesn't belong to you.
Public property does belong to you.

Quote:
So, how do I stop a police officer from "violating my civil rights"? Physical resistance? That's a dangerous roll of the dice, as we have seen.
When you hold people accountable for something, it becomes less so. If you want to argue that police officers are no different than the local drug user, I disagree.

IMO the majority understand and do not violate people's rights. People tell the police "no" all the time and do not get jumped. There is a good video around where a woman tells a border patrol officer no, over and over. She has to be persistent but she finally gets sent along.

It's not illegal for a police officer to ask you to see what is in your pocket. If he does not have a valid reason then it is not illegal for you to say no.

Even in the best run system there will be grey areas. This one was not.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Public property does belong to you.

Not only to me, though. It also belongs to you and any other taxpayer concerned. I don't have the right to destroy your property. Correct?

Quote:
When you hold people accountable for something, it becomes less so. If you want to argue that police officers are no different than the local drug user, I disagree.

IMO the majority understand and do not violate people's rights. People tell the police "no" all the time and do not get jumped. There is a good video around where a woman tells a border patrol officer no, over and over. She has to be persistent but she finally gets sent along.

It's not illegal for a police officer to ask you to see what is in your pocket. If he does not have a valid reason then it is not illegal for you to say no.

Even in the best run system there will be grey areas. This one was not.

So, Garner should have said "no". Got it. What if the police persisted with taking him into custody? Then what?

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Not only to me, though. It also belongs to you and any other taxpayer concerned. I don't have the right to destroy your property. Correct?
I already stated you could in protest.

Quote:
So, Garner should have said "no". Got it. What if the police persisted with taking him into custody? Then what?
The way it should be is that they lose their jobs. Eric did not have that kind of system backing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies