U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
First lets note that the medical center sent out to assist Garner also paid out a $1 million dollar settlement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/n...1-million.html

When the fire department took over operation of the cityís ambulances and the dispatching of both public and private ambulances, a goal was set of responding to 90 percent of serious medical emergencies with an Advanced Life Support ambulance staffed with paramedics in 10 minutes or less.

https://ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/ems2013.html

The ALS unit was not sent out, and EMS unit was because the officer had called it in as an accident, not as someone dying.


Interesting. I still don't see anything that says an ALS ambulance wasn't sent out when it should have been, though.


I do see where the medical center's EMTs were found to have not rendered the appropriate care, however. I'm glad they were held to some sort of account for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is pathetic and unbelievable that some of those cops actually searched his pockets after he was already dead!!!
Who said he was already dead when they searched his pockets. That search was before the EMTs arrived, yes? The reports are that he was still breathing when the EMTs showed up, are they not?


...Emergency workers arrived after officers called 911. The workers checked Mr. Garner’s pulse and made sure he was breathing before placing him on a stretcher...


https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/n...1-million.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
 
2,170 posts, read 839,641 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

1) Garner's "crime" was avoiding a tax by selling loose cigarettes on the street. And by "avoid tax" we are talking about the NY sin tax on cigarettes, which per cigarette is 29 cents. For this, Garner was killed. This was the "crime" he was committing when his executioner ended his life.

Incorrect. Read the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
 
79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15946
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Please do your due diligence, apply the same effort, and show us a link that says that officers are qualified and should be able to determine when someone without any external serious physical injuries is "dying."


We'll wait.
I was asked a question which I answered. He was not responsive at all. Nothing. Even the stupid EMS employee stood over him saying "get up, get up".

They did not want to believe he was dying but he was. The call to the supervisor noted that he was dying and the response was "No big deal".

None of it happens if they had not violated his rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was asked a question which I answered. He was not responsive at all. Nothing. Even the stupid EMS employee stood over him saying "get up, get up".

They did not want to believe he was dying but he was. The call to the supervisor noted that he was dying and the response was "No big deal".

None of it happens if they had not violated his rights.


I'm not a medical professional, but I wouldn't categorize someone who is breathing and has a pulse as "dying" simply because they are unconscious/unresponsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
 
79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15946
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Interesting. I still don't see anything that says an ALS ambulance wasn't sent out when it should have been, though.


I do see where the medical center's EMTs were found to have not rendered the appropriate care, however. I'm glad they were held to some sort of account for that.
No they weren't. The hospital paid out a $1 million dollar settlement but the EMT's kept their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,679 posts, read 74,680,484 times
Reputation: 48200
Cops are not above the law they are the law
The order -stop beating up that old lady -is not a suggestion made by a cop
Somebody somewhere has got to stand up and stop evil from happening- society uses soldiers and cops to do this
The wolves will attempt to persuade us to lock up the sheep dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
 
79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15946
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm not a medical professional, but I wouldn't categorize someone who is breathing and has a pulse as "dying" simply because they are unconscious/unresponsive.
Feel free to make excuses for the incompetence all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they weren't. The hospital paid out a $1 million dollar settlement but the EMT's kept their jobs.
I meant "they" as an organization. That's the typical result when an employee is negligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Feel free to make excuses for the incompetence all day.
Where did I excuse anything? Demonstrate that they should have reasonably thought that Garner was "dying".


Also, stop saying they violated his civil rights. They didn't. You insisting on facts that are not in evidence undermines your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top