U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
 
79,560 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15952

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I meant "they" as an organization. That's the typical result when an employee is negligent.
It shouldn't be. That is a part of the discussion. It happens over and over because we have not held the individual accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
 
79,560 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15952
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Where did I excuse anything? Demonstrate that they should have reasonably thought that Garner was "dying".


Also, stop saying they violated his civil rights. They didn't. You insisting on facts that are not in evidence undermines your argument.
$5.9 million because they had violated his civil rights. You don't pay $5.9 million to a bank robber that gets killed fleeing the scene of the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,539 posts, read 5,724,388 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was asked a question which I answered. He was not responsive at all. Nothing. Even the stupid EMS employee stood over him saying "get up, get up".

They did not want to believe he was dying but he was. The call to the supervisor noted that he was dying and the response was "No big deal".

None of it happens if they had not violated his rights.

Nope "did not believe" is subjective. And his rights weren't violated--even the DOJ decided that they could not charge the officer's in question.

But let's not get away from the fact that cops are not medical doctors. They are not qualified to determine if someone is "dying" or not. And he had no right to resist arrest, nor were they responsible for his previous health condition.


I'd wager that he probably was aware of his current health condition--he knew what to do and what not to do. If he goes in the cuffs calmly, it's much more likely that he would have lived and would have seen his day in court. His death was his own undoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
 
24,108 posts, read 11,975,573 times
Reputation: 10267
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Of course he won't be charged. Is anyone surprised? Cops are above the law in this country. They are allowed to kill citizens without consequence, as we see time and time and time again. Nothing changes. This decision is just more of the same.
37 time offender. The cop did a public service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It shouldn't be. That is a part of the discussion. It happens over and over because we have not held the individual accountable.


Well, in a case that falls short of criminal negligence, the individual typically is not held financially responsible because the company is a much more lucrative target.


I'm not sure that needs to be changed, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
 
79,560 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15952
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Nope "did not believe" is subjective. And his rights weren't violated--even the DOJ decided that they could not charge the officer's in question.
Trumps DOJ. Not impressed. You can not demand that someone do anything when they are doing nothing.

Quote:
But let's not get away from the fact that cops are not medical doctors. They are not qualified to determine if someone is "dying" or not. And he had no right to resist arrest, nor were they responsible for his previous health condition.
He had every right to resist arrest. It's why the founders made sure we have a 2nd Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$5.9 million because they had violated his civil rights. You don't pay $5.9 million to a bank robber that gets killed fleeing the scene of the crime.


Show your work, please. Show where a judge ruled that his civil rights were violated or that the NYPD admitted the same.


What I see is a comment from the city's Comptroller - "He has said the aim is to save taxpayers the expense, and families the pain, of a long legal process."


https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/n...9-million.html


You settle lawsuits for any number of reasons. Most of which are not because someone's civil rights were definitively violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,539 posts, read 5,724,388 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trumps DOJ. Not impressed. You can not demand that someone do anything when they are doing nothing.



He had every right to resist arrest. It's why the founders made sure we have a 2nd Amendment.
Nope, it's the DOJ, period. If you don't like who the President is--or who has has appointed as AG--oh well...that's the way the founders wanted it.

Besides, he had no right to resist arrest. He DOES have a right o his day in court after he is arrested though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
 
2,998 posts, read 1,221,047 times
Reputation: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trumps DOJ. Not impressed. You can not demand that someone do anything when they are doing nothing.



He had every right to resist arrest. It's why the founders made sure we have a 2nd Amendment.
I am pretty sure President Obamaís DOJ also did not bring charges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
 
79,560 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Reputation: 15952
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Show your work, please.
Read the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top