U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Florida
22,453 posts, read 9,541,017 times
Reputation: 18321

Advertisements

Comparing today to 60 years ago is rather illogical.

We had a real and well-respected president then. He inspired people. Now we have a demented bigot who scares and worries people.

The inspiration of a positive intelligent person in charge encouraged people to achieve higher goals and "ask what they could do for their country." Makes perfect sense. And nobody is clamoring for a laughable Space Force--but that is what is being promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
 
2,748 posts, read 4,515,291 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
No surprise here. This is what's happening with everything in todays "modern" world. The biggest business today is gaming and being a socialite on the internet. Both are complete nonsense.
I completely agree. Kids really think that being a youtuber is awesome and great. As far as gamers you know it says something when the military has a unit for some military members to game and recruit from gaming online.

Thank goodness after last summer, my oldest wants to go to a trade school and learn several trades. He rather tinker around with something instead of playing video games or watch youtube videos all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 AM
 
3,557 posts, read 970,275 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I completely agree. Kids really think that being a youtuber is awesome and great. As far as gamers you know it says something when the military has a unit for some military members to game and recruit from gaming online.

Thank goodness after last summer, my oldest wants to go to a trade school and learn several trades. He rather tinker around with something instead of playing video games or watch youtube videos all the time.
*Shrug* But isn't this smart on the part of the military? They are appealing to people who probably wouldn't consider it otherwise. It will also mean that these people will be getting into shape if they aren't already.

I get tired of video games being demonized. I mean...why is watching sports more acceptable? It's not like you are actually doing any while watching or anything. Video games can be lots of fun. They can be addicting for some, but so can lots of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 PM
 
27,098 posts, read 19,185,793 times
Reputation: 14458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Comparing today to 60 years ago is rather illogical.

We had a real and well-respected president then. He inspired people. Now we have a demented bigot who scares and worries people.

The inspiration of a positive intelligent person in charge encouraged people to achieve higher goals and "ask what they could do for their country." Makes perfect sense. And nobody is clamoring for a laughable Space Force--but that is what is being promoted.
the comparison is across different countries, not just the USA. astronaut is still the number one pick in china.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
 
26,971 posts, read 17,446,404 times
Reputation: 10633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Comparing today to 60 years ago is rather illogical.

We had a real and well-respected president then. He inspired people. Now we have a demented bigot who scares and worries people.

The inspiration of a positive intelligent person in charge encouraged people to achieve higher goals and "ask what they could do for their country." Makes perfect sense. And nobody is clamoring for a laughable Space Force--but that is what is being promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM
 
20,272 posts, read 11,238,907 times
Reputation: 20342
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality
When I was a youth, the Mercury astronauts were the greatest superstars the US has ever known--greater even than any sports or entertainment celebrity today.

Nobody has been more famous than the astronauts were.

When the astronauts came to your town, the town stopped everything. They let out the schools, they closed businesses, and they had a parade. They named streets and parks after them. The mayor gave them the keys to the city, and the hot chicks gave them keys to motel rooms.

Who gets that today?

Not astronauts.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-16-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM
 
2,748 posts, read 4,515,291 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
*Shrug* But isn't this smart on the part of the military? They are appealing to people who probably wouldn't consider it otherwise. It will also mean that these people will be getting into shape if they aren't already.

I get tired of video games being demonized. I mean...why is watching sports more acceptable? It's not like you are actually doing any while watching or anything. Video games can be lots of fun. They can be addicting for some, but so can lots of other things.

It's something new for them. I agree they are probably appealing to those who would not consider it other wise. My husband has even joked about finishing his career doing this lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM
 
20,272 posts, read 11,238,907 times
Reputation: 20342
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I didn't get it at first either. But then it clicked, no different than watching professional sports of any kind rather than playing it yourself. They cheer for their favorites, in awe of the experts, have their own rivalries, etc. In tournament matches there are actual announcers, they sell out stadiums, just any other professional level sport.
Or the "reaction" videos to television series that you love--particularly the ones you can't cajole anyone around you to watch with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,606 posts, read 19,382,716 times
Reputation: 8585
People live on Earth. The universe is incredibly huge, so huge that basically all of it will forever remain out of reach. I guess there is just no appeal in flying to some utterly hostile dust ball when life on Earth is so pleasant. Unlike half a century ago we all know now that it is possible to fly to other bodies in space, it is mere physics, hence no more fascination. The only ones that still seem interested are greedy and military people.
I'd rather go to Detroit than to space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM
 
27,098 posts, read 19,185,793 times
Reputation: 14458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When I was a youth, the Mercury astronauts were the greatest superstars the US has ever known--greater even than any sports or entertainment celebrity today.

Nobody was more famous than the astronauts.

When the astronauts came to your town, the town stopped everything. They let out the schools, they closed businesses, and they had a parade. They named streets and parks after them. The mayor gave them the keys to the city, and the hot chicks gave them keys to motel rooms.
this is a great point. there are not contemporary astronauts for kids today to want to aspire to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top