U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:27 PM

32,681 posts, read 16,713,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this is a great point. there are not contemporary astronauts for kids today to want to aspire to be.
There are. It's just no one really cares. Quick: Can you name any of the nine astronauts slated to fly on on CST-100 and Crew Dragon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
246 posts, read 173,687 times
What should really concern you is how many of these "American kids" want to be Republicans.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM

2,748 posts, read 4,515,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
What should really concern you is how many of these "American kids" want to be Republicans.
Actually it's more of getting out of mom and dad's basement and actually contributing to society.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM

20,272 posts, read 11,238,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There are. It's just no one really cares. Quick: Can you name any of the nine astronauts slated to fly on on CST-100 and Crew Dragon?
My point is that in the 60s, a kid cared because the government and media made astronauts famous. Today being an astronaut is about on the same level of celebrity as being an extra in a Canadian sci-fi series.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,347,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality

i guess they at least have a better chance of getting their wish than those that want to be astronauts.
I'm sure if you asked a 7-year-old if they would want to review toys on YouTube and get paid $22 million a year, most would say yes, heck most would probably do it for just a measly $1 million a year!

A 7-year-old boy is making $22 million a year on YouTube reviewing toys

But you're right about the odds, comparing the odds of becoming an astronaut (I know 2 and one is on the ISS right now) and becoming a millionaire from YouTube, both are a long shot for sure, but it might be slightly "easier" to do the latter, especially if you're not book smart.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM

2,748 posts, read 4,515,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My point is that in the 60s, a kid cared because the government and media made astronauts famous. Today being an astronaut is about on the same level of celebrity as being an extra in a Canadian sci-fi series.

Thinking about it, even in the 80's when I was in elementary school it was so neat that a woman was going into space. There was big hype about it (and they actually taught Science and History during this time). Now Science and History in grade school is an after thought. Also things like space exploration is not highlighted as it once was. It's definitely a different time we are living in.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM

9,158 posts, read 4,173,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Actually it's more of getting out of mom and dad's basement and actually contributing to society.
Many of these YouTube stars are living in large mansions in Los Angeles and live like rock stars. They aren't stuck in mom and dad's basement.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,245,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Thinking about it, even in the 80's when I was in elementary school it was so neat that a woman was going into space. There was big hype about it (and they actually taught Science and History during this time). Now Science and History in grade school is an after thought. Also things like space exploration is not highlighted as it once was. It's definitely a different time we are living in.
We believed in science.

Now we've got anti-vaxxers and dismiss scientists as "liberal elite".

Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

15,561 posts, read 4,110,381 times
Well, being as each astronaut probably sucks up 10,000X or more resources than being on youtube, this is probably a good thing.

It's a stupid question in the first place. I'd bet a vast percentage of people want to be billionaires even if the proof is that it is bad for your soul. Same with lottery winners...everyone wants to be one, yet most end up in bad places.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

27,098 posts, read 19,185,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm sure if you asked a 7-year-old if they would want to review toys on YouTube and get paid $22 million a year, most would say yes, heck most would probably do it for just a measly $1 million a year!

A 7-year-old boy is making $22 million a year on YouTube reviewing toys

But you're right about the odds, comparing the odds of becoming an astronaut (I know 2 and one is on the ISS right now) and becoming a millionaire from YouTube, both are a long shot for sure, but it might be slightly "easier" to do the latter, especially if you're not book smart.
thinking long-term though, it's pretty clear that a kid determined to be an astronaut (assuming they are fairly intelligent to begin with) is unlikely to actually become an astronaut. but if they pursue that goal long enough they are bound to obtain a high level of education in hard science and math that will serve them well in whatever occupation they may end up in - not so likely with the youtuber situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies