U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,416,486 times

Advertisements

Did you type this from the space station or are you on your parents futon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 01:16 PM

790 posts, read 492,849 times
This whole thread wreaks of "back in my day it was so much better" and now its totally terrible.. Whats ironic is most of the people of that age voted in Trump and Reagan and many Republican politicians since the 1980s.. So our society has gone downhill the last 35 years with more of your side in charge!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:17 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,227,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality

i guess they at least have a better chance of getting their wish than those that want to be astronauts..

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...nastronaut.jpg
I don't see that as sad and is this any different than wanting to be a star athlete or musician etc?

Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 855,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'd rather be a Youtuber than an Astronaut. I'd rather get to tell my opinions to a large amount of people and experience some mild fame than risk having some wrench Buzz Aldrin or someone dropped in orbit several decades ago impaling my forehead at seventeen thousand miles per hour.

YouTube used to be a great career choice. The only problem now is that it's flushing down the toilet for most content creators who do anything even mildly controversial or comment on anything political, and many things historical.
Being a professional YouTuber, has, is, and forever will be a very risky career move. There are people who experienced booms of fame on YouTube in the late 2000's, made a ton of money due to their then popularity (regularly racking up 1M+ views per video), who are now completely washed up, with nothing bigger than four digit views per video, and barely making any money, trying to cling onto their former fame, because they bet their future on their channels remaining relevant forever.

People don't realize that, successful YouTube channels, generally speaking, do not remain successful forever. In fact, the majority are just fads. Look at all the Call of Duty "Let's Players" who had millions of views per video in 2011, who now have almost no fans at all. RayWilliamJohnson? Fred? Smosh? None of them are relevant today, but were STARS a decade ago.

It's very risky to put all your eggs into the basket by making a YouTube channel a career choice. Also, not everyone will even be successful at it.

You couple all that in with the fact that, like you said, YouTube has been screwing over its content creators with ad revenue for the past few years, and it's really not as good a career move.

At least when it comes to video gaming, Twitch and other streaming services have been the dominant source of revenue for content creators, YouTube is either secondary or not even on their radar anymore.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM

9,158 posts, read 4,176,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Being a professional YouTuber, has, is, and forever will be a very risky career move. There are people who experienced booms of fame on YouTube in the late 2000's, made a ton of money due to their then popularity (regularly racking up 1M+ views per video), who are now completely washed up, with nothing bigger than four digit views per video, and barely making any money, trying to cling onto their former fame, because they bet their future on their channels remaining relevant forever.

People don't realize that, successful YouTube channels, generally speaking, do not remain successful forever. In fact, the majority are just fads. Look at all the Call of Duty "Let's Players" who had millions of views per video in 2011, who now have almost no fans at all. RayWilliamJohnson? Fred? Smosh? None of them are relevant today, but were STARS a decade ago.
You do make a good point here, though some of these washed up YouTube stars are still making money (Smosh is an example) but they aren't near as popular as they once were. PewDiePie is still #2 most subscribed-to channel on the platform. Even Jake and Logan Paul, who have had much controversy, still get millions of views. In reality though it's not much different from actors or pop stars. The select few have lasting careers that outlive fads. The rest maybe get 3-5 years, a decade at the most, and then they are irrelevant. Fred for instance grew up. Lucas (the Fred actor) has a channel though with a core fanbase and still makes money.

Ten years ago Lady Gaga was a sensation. By 2013, her albums were flopping. However, she still had her core fanbase and endures to this day. In terms of pop music however, she hasn't really been relevant for years. It's the same with YouTube channels.

Most people who do YouTube get their starts when they are in high school or at the latest, college. Compared to what most people that age are doing and making, it actually is pretty lucrative if they can produce content that people want to see. If YouTube would have been around when I was in high school and my parents would have allowed it, I would have much rather done that as opposed to doing dishes at KFC for $5.25/hour.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 1,000,354 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita..._United_States

Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 922,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
says someone using the internet socializing their disgust about it
I don't have a FB, youtube, twitter, etc. accounts, and I go on just this forum every so often to waste my time when I have absolutely nothing else to do. I'm talking socialites. You know the ones that spend 90% of their lives online. I go weeks, even months at a time without going online. Take a look at my history on this forum and you'll see.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM

21,634 posts, read 11,667,930 times
Fitting, they’ve dumbed down NASA to the point where a better bottle rocket is a stretch for them.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM

6,948 posts, read 3,877,845 times
I hear there’s a giant need for more astronauts.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 182,369 times
WOAH Number 1 lets be honest here, if your kid wanted to be an Astronaut they would likely have the brain power to both do Youtube while attending college. Just saying.

So you get upset for kids starting their own online business. These are full fledge businesses that take a lot of time and dedication. The content may be childish but it is a full day of work.

I look at it like this, if my kids options are:
1) Dig ditches
2) Flip burgers
3) Start a Youtube channel

I would tell my child to start recording your videos. At least it has the potential to lead into something bigger than $8.00 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies