U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 07:41 AM
 
16,608 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Reputation: 20571

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Why aren't reparations for native Americans being discussed? Where is the PC crowd on this issue??


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gy-reparations



Shouldn't all the white people go back to the countries where they came from so the natives can have all of their land back?
Yes reparations should be made to American Indians and the native Hawaiians. We literally went in and just took their sovereign nation from them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 07:44 AM
 
Location: USA
17,894 posts, read 8,912,422 times
Reputation: 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes reparations should be made to American Indians and the native Hawaiians. We literally went in and just took their sovereign nation from them too.
Neither of those groups knew anything about sovereignty nor the concept of sovereignty and private property. They were an inferior culture replaced by a more technologically advanced one. Happened all the time, all over the world. In fact their tribes did it to each other all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:45 AM
 
16,608 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Reputation: 20571
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Can they name a single piece of land in this world that wasn’t first “stolen” from somebody else?
Many many of the pacific islands were colonized by peoples because no one had never been there before. Rap Nui, even Hawaii and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:49 AM
 
16,608 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Reputation: 20571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Neither of those groups knew anything about sovereignty nor the concept of sovereignty and private property. They were an inferior culture replaced by a more technologically advanced one. Happened all the time, all over the world. In fact their tribes did it to each other all the time.
Well that is a lie.

Hawaii had private and public property, a single unified government (the notion that there was tribal warfare when we kidnapped and imprisoned their ruler is laughable) and so on. When you lie to make your point you have already lost the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:57 AM
 
Location: USA
17,894 posts, read 8,912,422 times
Reputation: 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well that is a lie.

Hawaii had private and public property, a single unified government (the notion that there was tribal warfare when we kidnapped and imprisoned their ruler is laughable) and so on. When you lie to make your point you have already lost the debate.
How about the Indians? Notice you didn't mention them so you're lying by omission. And the Hawaiians were tribal and did not have the type of private property rights that western culture had. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:08 AM
 
15,558 posts, read 13,555,088 times
Reputation: 21342
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well that is a lie.

Hawaii had private and public property, a single unified government (the notion that there was tribal warfare when we kidnapped and imprisoned their ruler is laughable) and so on. When you lie to make your point you have already lost the debate.
This concept came from the Europeans, starting with Kamehameha, who conquered ask the tribes and emulated the typical European monarch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:22 AM
 
16,608 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Reputation: 20571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How about the Indians? Notice you didn't mention them so you're lying by omission. And the Hawaiians were tribal and did not have the type of private property rights that western culture had. Not even close.
I am not lying by omission, I just don't know as much about them. Being married to a Hawaiian and having lived there on and off for many years I know much more about Hawaiian history than I do American Indian. Additionally American Indians are many nations and shouldn't be treated as one monolithic group.

So what if they didn't have the same system we did? That wasn't even your original claim which was that they had no property rights which is patently false. They certainly had a complex property system which absolutely recognized both public, feudal and private property.

https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...ornialawreview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:25 AM
 
29,534 posts, read 15,474,272 times
Reputation: 20054
I bet Native Americans wish they had protected their borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:33 AM
 
16,608 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Reputation: 20571
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This concept came from the Europeans, starting with Kamehameha, who conquered ask the tribes and emulated the typical European monarch.
No it didn't.

Stop lying.

They had a property system that was both complex and recognized private property rights as noted by Cook at his arrival and was primarily feudal in nature. So what?

The great mahele was in response to the european land grab that happened in Hawaii after colonization.

And lets be clear you had to add the term "emulate" because there were many, many rulers of Hawaii before Kamehameha. Just because he let Europeans use their word kind does not wipe out the existance of the many, many rulers or ali'i of Hawaii before him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:35 AM
 
200 posts, read 33,380 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Why aren't reparations for native Americans being discussed? Where is the PC crowd on this issue??


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gy-reparations



Shouldn't all the white people go back to the countries where they came from so the natives can have all of their land back?
We won this land in war with the indians. Land is "owned" by those that can protect their claim to it. That ship sailed a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top