Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
When democrat climate alarmists start actually walking the talk, I’ll start taking it more seriously.
Barbra Streisand, a climate alarmist and activist, just flew her three dogs on a SEPARATE private jet over 10,000 Miles so they could hear her concert.
Al Gore has the carbon footprint of Godzilla.
Oprah,another climate activist, has at least six mega mansions wasting huge amounts of resources.
How many liberal celebrities, and politicians drive around in stretch limos,
Have private planes, multiple huge mansions, conspicuous consumption etc etc etc
If you want to do the whole "I'm not going to do anything if certain other people aren't" I can respect that. I'm not really doing much to reduce my carbon footprint. I recycle when it's convenient and about the only other thing I do related to global warming is come on to this forum and try to convince people it's occurring.

I view it kind of like how various food products are probably created through slave labor I'm too lazy to find out about, and how I buy meat products from factory farming despite it being bad for the environment, and the animals, and probably me.

All I'm primarily interested in is for people to have a more or less accurate view of what's happening.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I am very concerned about it and have factored it in significantly when I decided I needed to leave my former job. I moved from Florida to Massachusetts and looked for a town off the coast and for a house on a hill.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:49 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The thing about that is...if you live in a dessert, you're already used to living in a dessert. You don't need it to turn into a lush grassland. But if you live in one of the breadbaskets of the world and that turns into a dessert, that's an enormous problem.
It would be hard to get used to living in a dessert, especially if it were ice cream. You’d probably get hypothermia pretty quickly. Living in a chocolate cake would just be awkward.

A dessert turning into a lush grassland would be something to see.

If the breadbaskets of the world turn into desserts, it means less bread but more brownies. Yum!

Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
For the record, I am skeptical of climate change being a danger. I'm also not interested in debating it or explaining my reasons why. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have spent plenty of time doing that here and elsewhere.
No. My question is for those who honestly and earnestly believe this is an imminent problem. I have plenty in my own family and among friends. One of them just sent me a copy of a book by David Wallace Wells out of the blue and implored me to read it.

My question for them is a simple one but it's always met with blank stares, silence and it always catches them off guard.

If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?

This is a legitimate question. I also don't want to debate climate change because in my mind the science is pretty clear. I want to focus on what to do about it. But first I want to clarify one point: nobody is saying the world will end in 10 or 20 years. They are saying that if we don't do something in 10-20 years, it will be too late to reach the goal set by the IFCC, which is to keep warming below 2 degrees celsius or whatever by 2100. That's all.

I assume we're not going to doing anything to stop it, so I've tried to research what the impact of those 2 degrees will be on my life. Higher sea level and more frequent heat waves. And the most severe effects won't be until the end of the century, and I'll be long gone. So why would I cash in my 401k?

The best thing I can do is vote for candidates who want to invest in developing new technologies to reduce or mitigate climate change, so that by the time my grandkids are grown we'll have a solution.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It would be hard to get used to living in a dessert, especially if it were ice cream. You’d probably get hypothermia pretty quickly. Living in a chocolate cake would just be awkward.

A dessert turning into a lush grassland would be something to see.

If the breadbaskets of the world turn into desserts, it means less bread but more brownies. Yum!
crap...

I do that sort of stuff all the time.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:37 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
...and there is also scientific data that contradicts what you think is absolute. Science is also not infallible, immune to corruption, groupthink or bias. I don't want to go down this line of debate because that is not what the OP is about. I'm just tired of this logical fallacy of appeal to authority that is constantly trotted out in these discussions to shut down debate.
RE: Logical Fallacy of Appeal to Authority

I greatly appreciate debaters who are well-informed regarding logical fallacies.

"It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus."

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

Old 07-17-2019, 11:42 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
The logical approach is to sell beach front property in Florida to climate deniers. Let them put their money where their mouth is.

As you can see, Trump is leading the charge with Mar-a-Lago.

https://www.quora.com/When-will-Mar-...global-warming

Old 07-17-2019, 12:02 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
July 10, 2019
CEI Files Formal Complaint Regarding NASA's Claim of 97% Climate Scientist Agreement on Global Warming

“The claim that 97% of climate scientists believe humans are the primary cause of global warming is simply false,” said CEI attorney Devin Watkins. “That figure was created only by ignoring many climate scientists’ views, including those of undecided scientists. It is time that NASA correct the record and present unbiased figures to the public.”

Article > https://cei.org/content/cei-files-fo...reement-global

Information Quality Act Correction Request Regarding NASA’s Claim that 97 Percent
of Scientists Agree on Anthropogenic Global Warming

Request for Correction > https://cei.org/sites/default/files/...cent_Final.pdf

Apr 24, 2019
MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

Improving Implementation of the Information Quality Act

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...04/M-19-15.pdf

Old 07-17-2019, 12:05 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The logical approach is to sell beach front property in Florida to climate deniers.
that is if all the liberals don't buy it all first

Jon Landau....Titanic, Avatar, etc....just bought this

http://www.floridadesign.com/socialm...images/fb1.jpg

Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
July 10, 2019
CEI Files Formal Complaint Regarding NASA's Claim of 97% Climate Scientist Agreement on Global Warming

“The claim that 97% of climate scientists believe humans are the primary cause of global warming is simply false,” said CEI attorney Devin Watkins. “That figure was created only by ignoring many climate scientists’ views, including those of undecided scientists. It is time that NASA correct the record and present unbiased figures to the public.”

Article > https://cei.org/content/cei-files-fo...reement-global

Information Quality Act Correction Request Regarding NASA’s Claim that 97 Percent
of Scientists Agree on Anthropogenic Global Warming

Request for Correction > https://cei.org/sites/default/files/...cent_Final.pdf

Apr 24, 2019
MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

Improving Implementation of the Information Quality Act

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...04/M-19-15.pdf
RE: 97% of climate scientists believe humans are the primary cause of global warming

"It is time that NASA correct the record and present unbiased figures to the public"

Allrightie then, what is the correct figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies