Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm going to break it down like this for you: you are simply psychotic/delusional if you think that your recycling a few hundred pounds of cans (over your entire life) whilst every single person in China and India toss twice as much as you into the street.

You ain't doin' a d--- thing, no matter how much it makes you feel good to thumb your nose about it (not speaking about you/to you specifically, but all the pompous environmentalists who are goofy about this stuff).
Where have I ever posted about recycling or anything like that? I'm saying nature is bigger than all of us, and the chickens are coming home to roost no matter what we do at this point. The entire globe could sit home in the dark and it still won't stop what is already in effect.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:55 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Isn't the environmentalist(s) pretty much all nihilists anyways ("nothing happens when we die") anyways?

So...we are supposed to care about this life after we're dead, even though you say we shouldn't, while you're here?
So you don’t care that your children “if you have any.” Have clean air to breath, etc? I’m not a nihilist myself.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
no matter what we do at this point. .
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:18 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutwalkintheblacklab View Post
For the record, I am skeptical of climate change being a danger. I'm also not interested in debating it or explaining my reasons why. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue who have spent plenty of time doing that here and elsewhere.
No. My question is for those who honestly and earnestly believe this is an imminent problem. I have plenty in my own family and among friends. One of them just sent me a copy of a book by David Wallace Wells out of the blue and implored me to read it.

My question for them is a simple one but it's always met with blank stares, silence and it always catches them off guard.

If you honestly believe we are facing imminent catastrophe, why don't you prepare for it by cashing out your 401k, liquidating your assets and using the money that will soon be worthless to BUY things that will enable you and your family to survive or at least suffer less?

Put your money where your mouth.. or your mindset is!
I'm not being facetious here either. I sincerely do not get the disconnect between people who think we have 10-20 years at the most before society changes drastically and things like 401ks and investments become worthless and their hesitancy to take action.

My grandfather always told me.. "Don't listen to what people SAY, pay attention to what they DO!"
I don't see my alarmist relatives, friends and coworkers making life decisions like this is an imminent crisis. I don't see the Michael Manns or AL Gore's of the world doing so either.

I work in finance and deal alot with 401ks and retirement planning. I know very many people live paycheck to paycheck but have a small fortune tied up in a 401k or some sort of retirement account.
Some people sincerely and devoutly believe that we are headed for a climate disaster or emergency in the near term.. at least LONG before they would cash out this savings to retire.
Common sense dictates that money would immediately be rendered worthless if a large scale catastrophe of the sort that David Wallace Wells writes about comes to pass.
Prudence dictates that if you believe this, you would liquidate that cash and use it prepare to the best of your ability, whether that means being a "prepper" or helping to create a self sustaining community of like minded individuals.

I seem to have stumbled upon a litmus test of sorts. There are people who seem to believe this and will argue it until they are blue in the face but when asked why they have not acted on it by cashing out their soon to be worthless retirement savings, they seem dumbstruck.
Hi OP, your question is essentially the same as asking why are invisible pink unicorn hollow? It's a nonsensical question that doesn't deserve an answer. Let me explain why.

Climate change will not be the end of the world. No one has ever claimed it as such in a serious manner. What it will do is gradually change the yearly weather patterns throughout the world. Some places will have more changes than others.

Our infrastructure that we have been building for hundreds of years one layer on top of another were built to accommodate the yearly cycles that's native to the particular region. As climate change happens, many of our infrastructure will run into problems.

Here's the thing. We are the richest civilization that's ever existed. Our assets and resources are vast. In other words, we will have no problem dealing with the climatic changes in the next 20-30 years.

Most countries on earth aren't so fortunate. Most countries can't even afford to repair or rebuild their infrastructure based on the current climate. It will only get tougher and tougher for them as atypical cycles happen with more regularities.

I think you've been watching too many doomsday movies and haven't made a real effort to understand the science and projections.

A few years back, in India there was some wide-spread floodings. No, there was no tsunami or any of the sort. Water very slowly accumulated over a matter of weeks. My elderly parents when watching the news asked what's the big deal? There's no 100 ft tall tidal waves or whatever.

I had to explain to them that even though the floodings were happening slowly over weeks, it happened in such a wide spread area that it was displacing about 20-30 million people for months.

They then asked me so what? They just had to move to another location.

I responded by reminding them of their church trip a couple days back. It was a 12 hour trip riding on the bus and they were tired by the end. Imagine if they had to waddle thru knee deep water for days along with 20-30 million other people.

My point is just because there was no 100 foot tsunami doesn't mean it's not a catastrophe.

Just because events from The Day After Tomorrow movie won't be reality doesn't mean a disaster that happens over a 20-30 years period won't be a disaster.

I sincerely hope you will not have a knee jerk reaction to what I've said. I speak as someone who believes it is already too late. The best we can do now is adapt and thrive or not. My husband and I are investors. Yes, we are capitalists. We will not stop making money anytime soon.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So you don’t care that your children “if you have any.” Have clean air to breath, etc? I’m not a nihilist myself.
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose....Sounds like a personal attack to me

Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM

18,434 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Per person, the U.S. produces more C02 than citizens of China or India. Furthermore, financial problems will harm people in China and India more than people in the U.S. due to their lower average incomes.
If the government told you that you had to stop dumping arsenic in the ground...because it's poison

...and at the same time told you your neighbors get to dump more arsenic in the ground because they have a bigger family and make less money than you do

You would know it's a scam.........

Increasing CO2 levels can not be dangerous at all....if it was.....no country would be allowed to increase their CO2 emissions

...the only thing that global warming has increased..is the amount of money..funneled through the UN...going to those undeveloped countries...and that includes China

Old 07-21-2019, 03:26 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
I'm going to break it down like this for you: you are simply psychotic/delusional if you think that your recycling a few hundred pounds of cans (over your entire life) whilst every single person in China and India toss twice as much as you into the street.

You ain't doin' a d--- thing, no matter how much it makes you feel good to thumb your nose about it (not speaking about you/to you specifically, but all the pompous environmentalists who are goofy about this stuff).
But plenty of us are trying to reduce our carbon footprint.

And, the people who are really knowledgeable about recycling say it's pissing into the wind. Half of what people put in the recycle goes in the trash. If the paper is wet, it is are useless, so in the trash they go. yadayada. And the Chinese won't take anymore.We try to not have much trash. We have twice a week pickup, but we have a small bag once a week. The recycle is newspaper, cat food cans, 7 beer bottles and a wine bottle a week.

We have insulated and added new windows to reduce our energy use. We installed 16 SEER HVAC, changed all the lightbulbs to LEDs, and have been driving energy efficient cars for years.

I use fabric bags made for produce at the grocery store instead of plastic.

We do not use any single use plastic anything. We have a filter on the frig for water, no plastic bottles in our house, ever.

We patronize no burger joint that uses plastic. I cover leftovers with a plate or the things my granny used that look like shower caps.

We do not use any chemicals in our yard. We are trying to get rid of St. Augustine grass, replacing it with Asiatic jasmine. It is taking some time, but we will get there.

On and on. No pompous environmentalist here. Just living like everyone did during the war. Make do or do without. All this throw away chit cost money to make and money to clean up. IMO, our money would be better spent on something else.

And BTW, Al Gore's houses are LEED certified.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
If the government told you that you had to stop dumping arsenic in the ground...because it's poison

...and at the same time told you your neighbors get to dump more arsenic in the ground because they have a bigger family and make less money than you do

You would know it's a scam.........
Ironic isn't it that a US citizen dumps almost ten times as much arsenic (CO2) as an Indian citizen does, and two and a third more than a citizen of China.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Where have I ever posted about recycling or anything like that? I'm saying nature is bigger than all of us, and the chickens are coming home to roost no matter what we do at this point. The entire globe could sit home in the dark and it still won't stop what is already in effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Ironic isn't it that a US citizen dumps almost ten times as much arsenic (CO2) as an Indian citizen does, and two and a third more than a citizen of China.
Okay then....the same people that see it like you should be the same ones that are screaming "WE NEED TO CLOSE THE BORDER AND DEPORT EVERY ILLEGAL" since every single one of them is going to have a far more negative effect on the "climate" being in America than they would if they were not in America.

But they're not. You know why? Because they're full of s--- and they know they are.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:

China was taking in about half the world's unwanted paper and plastic for recycling when it decided last summer it didn't want to be the global dump. On average, some 20,000 tons of that material was arriving here every single day — not to mention glass, scrap metal and other waste.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pollut...icic-1.4593078
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies