U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 AM

11,708 posts, read 4,009,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Any of these old animals are far done mating. The local poachers kill everything.
There are Anti-Poaching operations in a number of African countries, indeed the British Army helps out in places such as Malawi, Gabon and Kenya, and also helps train anti-poaching forces.

As for the African continent, I would be very careful where I travelled at the moment, mainly due to the current outbreal of Ebola in Central Africa.

DR Congo Ebola outbreak declared global health emergency - BBC News

Ebola outbreak in five graphics - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM

2,322 posts, read 631,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Itís certainly a weird hobby. Idk about ďnot feeling safeĒ around them. The people who partake in big game hunting are generally non-violent upper middle and upper class people. The area of the US with the most hunters per capita, the western portion of the upper mid-west(Montana, Dakotas, Wyoming, etc) has some of the lowest crime rates in the world. One can make the argument that big game hunters save animals as the animals they are hunting are all about to die, are already in pain, and the money they pay is used to stop poachers, who are the real problem.
I grew up in farm country surrounded by and using guns daily. Never a moment feeling unsafe around hunters......all cool people.....

Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM

21,955 posts, read 21,755,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. Given the population of humans, hunting is never a sustainable way of life.

Farming is if you donít know.

Farming however kills far more animals than hunting.

The biggest threat to the animals is not hunting. It is human encroachment of their habitats.

In another word, our very existence is the threat
This right here^^^^^ for all you who think hunting is the problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 AM

14,262 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are Anti-Poaching operations in a number of African countries, indeed the British Army helps out in places such as Malawi, Gabon and Kenya, and also helps train anti-poaching forces.

As for the African continent, I would be very careful where I travelled at the moment, mainly due to the current outbreal of Ebola in Central Africa.

DR Congo Ebola outbreak declared global health emergency - BBC News

Ebola outbreak in five graphics - BBC News

I watched a documentary on African anti poaching forces here a bit back. It was really cool. These anti poaching outfits are serious bad azzes. And they love their job. 20 or 30 dead poachers is a good days work.

I would not choose to travel anywhere in Africa right now. In addition to E Bola the roving bands of various tribal thugs are downright scary. There's always some group or another rolling around in chopped up Toyota trucks carrying out "ethnic cleansing." The anti poaching forces are well trained, well equipped and very well armed. When they hit a band of poachers it's no quarter take no prisoners. It's quite dangerous to be a poacher. Not good for ones health.

I think it's massive cool. Poachers use extremely brutal methods and kill wholesale. Here in the US poaching is an issue as well. Not just individual animals either. They slaughter whole herds. We could learn a lesson from African nations about how to deal with poachers.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM

9,563 posts, read 4,365,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I watched a documentary on African anti poaching forces here a bit back. It was really cool. These anti poaching outfits are serious bad azzes. And they love their job. 20 or 30 dead poachers is a good days work.

I would not choose to travel anywhere in Africa right now. In addition to E Bola the roving bands of various tribal thugs are downright scary. There's always some group or another rolling around in chopped up Toyota trucks carrying out "ethnic cleansing." The anti poaching forces are well trained, well equipped and very well armed. When they hit a band of poachers it's no quarter take no prisoners. It's quite dangerous to be a poacher. Not good for ones health.

I think it's massive cool. Poachers use extremely brutal methods and kill wholesale. Here in the US poaching is an issue as well. Not just individual animals either. They slaughter whole herds. We could learn a lesson from African nations about how to deal with poachers.
I would be for that.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM

5,668 posts, read 4,890,753 times
I would be willing to bet that many of the whiners don't even know where their food comes from, much less why predators are hunted.
Given the opportunity predators will kill more than they eat , cats in particular.
And wolves have taken whole herds of Cariboo and not eaten much of even one.
All living things live off all other living things even the germs and bacteria living in your body.
All animal life can be just as indiscriminate .
So far as the OP they got a rise out of you, and that is all they care about, your reaction .
I guarantee you that if they were poaching no one would hear about it.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM

316 posts, read 86,194 times
I am not a vegetarian and grew up in a hunting family that always ate what was killed. This lion was old and in a enclosed space. 2 poachers did get eaten by a lion they were tracking that outsmarted them.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:06 AM

11,218 posts, read 6,531,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Why should the deer be afraid of humans? Why can't they stand around?
They should be afraid because humans are the apex predator and theyíre dinner. They canít stand around because they cause car collisions, spread disease, and eat my flowers and vegetable plants.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 AM

18,324 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They should be afraid because humans are the apex predator and they’re dinner. They can’t stand around because they cause car collisions, spread disease, and eat my flowers and vegetable plants.
Not to mention that when they become afraid they can absolutely put a world of hurt on you with those long thin front legs and pointy little hoofs. Hit one with your car so as to debilitate it but not kill it and you unthinkingly try to tend to it … oofduh, emergency ward to get yer butt stitched back together is your next stop.

The damage to your car now includes having huge amounts of your own blood cleaned off the seats you sprawled over while your wife frantically drove you to the nearest hospital.

I once hit a deer and it put a crease in my front fender but that turned him so his rear end put a huge dent in our rear door of a brand spanking new, ten day old '84' Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I got out to check the damage to the car and the deer but got to watch as the thing gathered itself up and ran into the bush.

In Canada to get insurance pay-out you must report deer/animal strikes to your local police asap. The OPP constable went out and looked the car over, even taking a tuft of hair from the back door handle while stating he'd sign off on my claim report. I asked him what would be done about the injured deer and he looked me straight in the eye and said: "that's why God invented wolves".

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

71 posts, read 10,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm going to cut you some slack as it seems you have no experience with hunting and hunters. But calling us all cowards is over the top. I haven't hunted much in recent years but used to regularly when I was younger. One particular hunt from those days comes to mind when you say an animal has no chance and it's all about easy sneak attack.

A stock killing mountain lion had hit my place and a neighboring spread. I lost two calves in one night, one of which was only killed and not fed on, and the neighbor lost a whole pen of ewes with lambs and only the milk bags of the ewes were eaten. This was a blood drunk thrill killing animal. An Indian buddy of mine and me took out after the cat.

The end result of a LOT of tracking and trailing wound up with us having to go up a sheer sides and narrow box canyon. Our horses would not go in. We had to go in on foot with nobody to watch our horses. This didn't sit well with us but there was no choice. The cat was in a mahogany tree hidden and he jumped us. He came down not ten yards in front of us and charged. I didn't even get my rifle in action, my buddy stopped him with a 12 ga shotgun. Had he been just a second or two slower it would have been ugly.

Despite any technological advantage we have the animal can and will turn the tables if cornered. This would have been no place for any "coward." When I hunt other animals such as deer I hunt for meat. Not for "sport" although I do enjoy the remote and rugged outdoors and the hard work it takes in such an environment to hunt. It's no ridiculously easy thing with the animal having no chance as you claimed above. Nor is it for the faint of heart. It "takes no guts" you say? We will have to disagree on that.

Now this canned hunt at issue here certainly didn't take much sand on that I will agree. But your blanket generalization of all hunters as "cowards" I have issue with. I know that it makes no difference to you what I say or what examples I can cite but I'm not responding to win any arguments. Just to say that you are woefully wrong and know within myself that is fact.

Well one case where you are incorrect is when you say "I know that it makes no difference to you what I say or what examples I can cite" I'm always interested in civil conversation.

You did mis-quote me though, I did not say that "all hunters" are cowards. I said game hunters and trophy hunters are. And I may very well have used the wrong vernacular in describing what I was talking about. I'm talking about people who hunt animals for prize, trophy, to tell everyone what a big dick they have.
People who hunt for food, or even in the case of the story you told are a different situation. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule.
But again, I do stand by what I said in that hunting is not not a sport. It is something that is done and at one time in human history it was believed to be necessary for survival, now we know that it is not. It's something that people choose to do. Again, there are exceptions to every rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or